z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

Reviews: 0
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:35 am
andimalive says...

My real name is Shanee {Shaun-A}, but I'll go by Shane. I'm 18 and a Junior at my University.
My major is English > track: English > Masters in Creative Writing.

Since I'm a junior at University, I'm already working avidly on my degree. Though I like to share and receive critique on my own writing, I am really interested in reviewing others work. My current occupation is an English & Literature tutor for high school students.

I speak English majorly, but I understand and speak a little Spanish, and I know some basic Japanese and speak it pretty well. I'm also learning Chinese come fall.
It's not uncommon for me to add other languages to my writing, but it's always simple and I explain what each word means. I'll try to keep it to a bare minimum though for ease of understanding.
Please take care of me! Arigato.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hello, Shane! Welcome to YWS! Here are some of the main rules:

1. The 2:1 ratio. This means that for each piece of work you post, whether it's poetry or prose, you must do two reviews. People are more likely to review your work if you review theirs.

2. Rate your work. If something has graphic scenes or the f-word, rate it R. If it isn't rated R, it will appear on the YWS home page. :)

3. Limit chat-speak. Pls dnt tlk lik dis. It can get pretty irritating and hard to understand. Try to use proper spelling and grammar. Abbreviations like POV, lol, and MC are fine.

So, what genre do you write? What genre do you read?

Once again, welcome to YWS. Enjoy the site!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:27 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hey Shane and welcome to YWS! Now that the rules have been explained, I'm sure you've seen that a lot of us have differently colored usernames. That means we have different jobs to do in the community of YWS. Let me give a quick explanation:

Blue - we're greeters, which means we're usually the first person you meet on the site. We answer questions you have, help you get around the site.

Purple - they are instructors, whose main purpose is to go above and beyond in helping you improve your writing. They're the ones you go to for really in depth critiques.

Light Green - Junior moderators, who assist the Moderators in moderating the site.

Dark Green - regular moderators, with mod powers across all of the forums.

Red - Administrators, who keep the site running

Orange - Retired moderators or administrators; distinguished members.

Those are the colors of YWS, and just about what they do. Now that that's done with, why don't you tell us more about yourself? About your hobbies, interests, writing or reading, movies or music? Any other miscellany?

Well, if you need anything, you can PM me. I hope to see you and your work around the site soon. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:45 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Alive and welcome to the fantabulous world of YWS! I'm Selene. :D It's a pleasure to meet you.

So here on YWS we have some pretty cool groups that you can join. You can join by clicking on the 'Groups' button on the top of the page. When you're there, you can navigate to other groups and decide which ones you would like to join. You can choose by which ones interests you, and we have a lot to choose from! We have everything from fan groups like "Heroes" to writing groups like "Double Trouble Writing Huddle".

There's a new groups called "The Completely Evil Plan" made by one of our beloved Moderators, Snoink. I recommend joining because the group is compiling writing pieces together to help a good cause. You'll be sure to get all the details as soon as you join. ;) Here's the link:

viewgroup.php?f=296

If you have any questions, would like a review, or just want to chat, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya Shane!

You might have noticed I'm one of the purples Viper mentioned. That means you can ask me for critiques and help on how to critique! And that's not limited to just me, all purples are willing to help you with your writing/critiquing skills, so come to us if you need anything!

Another place you can go for writing help is the Knowledge Base, found by right clicking the Resources button in the header and selecting the Knowledge Base option, is full of articles on YWS, prose (normal fiction), poetry and grammar. Look around to find help you need. (You might want to reserve an hour to look around. That place is full of wonderfully helpful articles)

Finally, there is Will Review for Food. There, people post threads saying they'll review on request. Post on one of those threads and people should get back to you with a review. Just be sure to read the first post of the thread first. Not everybody will review everything.

If you need anything, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sun May 03, 2009 8:19 am
Pippiedooda says...

Hi shane! :D Welcome to YWS the best place to be ;)
I warn you now though it can get awful addictive...

Quite a few of the rules have been covered but I thought I'd just mention a couple of things ^^
Other than the writing and reviewing on YWS there is quite alot else that you can do if you have some free time:

There's an amazing chat room here on YWS, if you go on the home page then you can just click to join and it's a brilliant way of getting to know some of the other members here :)

In community forums there are loads of different things to do, discussing topics that are a bit random, word games, if you need any help on homework or if you want to discuss one of your favourite TV shows or books. It's a really good cure for boredom!

There are also contests going on where you can win points and reviews for any winning pieces submitted, they have loads of different types of contests so it's a good idea to check out if there is anything you are interested in taking part in :)

Reviewing is what I love to do too! I'm a purple (as WaterVyper covered the colours you'll already know what that means) and everyone appreciates helpful critiques so don't feel nervous about starting. Always try to say something positive and not to be too harsh if they don't ask you to be :)

I've always wanted to learn Japanese! It's been something I have been promising myself to do but have never gotten round to it :oops: have you been to Japan? Sushi has got to be my favourite food :P

Well if you ever need anything don't hesitate to PM me :D
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 9:53 am
mimimac says...

Hello Shane! I'm Mia.
I see the colours have already been explained to you, I'm an instructor (purple name) I help people improve their writing. :)
Since I joined YWS it has really helped me improve my stories ect. I try help others with their's too obviously so if you need any reviews of your own feel free to PM me. :D I also have a will review for food thread if you'd rather post there.
I thought I'd point out something else, certain term abbreviations are allowed on YWS such as: brb, ect, lol, MC (main character). However chat speak is looked down upon. ;)
Here on YWS we also have a chat room which can be located on the main page (on the left hand side towards the bottom). If you would like to get to know some of use better, head on over there. Chat speak is not allowed in there, neither is ALL CAPS (it's pain ful to look at), and doing things like this: heeeeeeeellllooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah. :P
PM me if you need any help or any reviews.
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun May 03, 2009 1:10 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hi Shane! I'm Music.

English major, huh? That's what I want to do, with the Creative Writing as well. :)

I'm going to fill you in on the points system here at YWS.

150 points are necessary to post a piece of work here. How do I earn points, you ask? The best way is to review other people's work! We also compete for who has the highest amount of points. :)

So, do you have any other hobbies? Who are your favorite authors? I'd love to hear about knowing the languages. I'm studying French right now. :D

PM me with any questions, darling!

Love,
Music
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun May 03, 2009 7:21 pm
Linx says...

Hi there, Shane! Welcome to YWS, the place where writers can come together to learn how to write gooder. :wink:

Here on YWS, we have what we call groups. You can look at some of these by clicking the Groups button on the top header.

They are groups that you can join if you are interested in what they are talking about. For example, if you like Twilight, there is a group that you can join!

We also have an e-newsletter called Squills. Usually, it has articles about writing and about the site. You can check out some of the old issues by clicking the Squills button on the top header.

Isn't that cool? 8)

We'll take care of you! Here on YWS, we are almost like a family. We always want to help each other the best we can.

So if you need any help around the site or outside the site, or if you want a review, feel free to PM me. I am almost always available.

And if you just want to talk, I'm avaliable too. :D

I hope you'll enjoy it here!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon May 04, 2009 3:24 am
Hannah says...

!! Nomnom! Why is your introduction post so cute? It makes me want to be your friend right away. This is the headline I see for it:

Young genius works on masters in creative writing.

I love that you know other languages and slip them into your writing. It was kind of weird, when I read Jane Eyre, because she put in a few full sentences in French without explaining them in the rest of the text. Now, I know French, so I understood it, but I realized that those sentences must have completely escaped the reader when they tried to understand.

So. In short, it's cool that you explain.

Will you PM me whenever you put some of your work up? If you put some of your work up? I'd love to read it. =] You could also PM me if you wanted a little help in Chinese this fall. I took it for two years and though I've fallen out of practice, we could tune it up together! -claps-

<_< I'm Hannah, by the way. Anyways... welcome! =D
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio