z

Young Writers Society

Hello, Bonjour and Buenas Dias (or Buenos ...^^)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:57 am
JoJo Davies says...

Hey y'all,

My name's Jordan (female) and I live in France... *blah blah blah with all personal details*.

I write, not for a living, but for a hobby and have currently and after many other non-finished books, FINISHED THREE SHORT STORIES !

I'm an adolescent so I tap myself on the back ^^

Love writing and can now start writing in French (after three years of living out here)!

Hope to speak to most people here, get good advice and what-not...

JoJo :)

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:25 pm
Shauni says...

Allô ma novelle amie!
Je suis Shauni! Bienvenue à YWS! <--- Was that too bad? x\ My french is very rusty but I guess I did well...

Moving on my friend!

France! Iupi. You live near me, just a few countries bellow! :P
You seem very bubbly and happy-go-go! What nice feeling I felt when I reed your short but interesting post!

Fisrt of all, count with me if you need anything! :D
Secind, you need to know the basics or you might wake up in the mornin with a snake curled around your body....
Hihihi...!
We are very nice hre and you should get along just fine but please, alaways keep these on your mind:

~No chat speak or capitalized sentences/words. We are all proper writers here! :)

~Please keep a 2:1 ratio. This means that for every post of your work you make you should at least make 2 reviews.

~Rate your works properly. If they have any sex scene and/or f-word, please rate it R. Works rated PG-13 below will appear on the YWS frontpage.

That's it for they basics.

Wh don't you speak a little bit more about yourself?

Favorite authors, favorite music gender, you know... stuff like that!

If you need anything, have a question or just purely need someone to chat, feel free yto PM me!

Au revoir, mon amie!

Shauni^^

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:28 pm
Claeren says...

Hey, welcome JoJo - I love the username!

Well, there are a lot of rules on YWS, but here are the most famous one:

1) The 2:1 ratio - that means that for every 1 story/poem/ect. you post, you must also post 2 reviews. So, basically, posting reviews is how you earn the right to post stories.

2) No chatspeak. Things like lol, brb, ect. ect. are fine, but don't push it. Use proper grammer as much as you can - don't worry, a few mistakes in a post or two won't kick you off the site or anything.

Besides that, there are the color names:

Orange = the distinguished members. These people usually are a retired greeter/instructor/moderator or something - anything that would make them "distinguished".

Red = the Administrators. People like Nate, who run the site and make it possible for people like us to do stuff on it. Thank you Nate!

Dark Green = the Moderators. These guys are like the police officers of the site - since the administrators are usually too busy to keep everyone in line at all times. Also, these guys patrol the entire site, unlike the next guys I'll tell you about.

Light Green = the Junior Moderators. These guys are only the moderators of specific forums, such as the poetry forum, or welcome forum.

Purple = the Instructors. The Instructors are the guys who review peoples work to the extreme. They basically go above and beyond when it comes to reviewing. They might even offer an online class or two!

Blue = the Greeters. These guys have my favorite color! They're the ones who, like the instructors, go above and beyond - just not in reviewing. Instead, they take greeting new members to the extreme. =)

And that's about it! Hope you like it here! Oh, and great job finishing those three stories - I still have yet to finish anything longer than a poem. ^^,

~Claery

<== Hurry and click, before they all die!

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:07 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Jojo! I would do a fun and cool introduction speech as Shauni, but I suck at french -_-'
Anyway, I'm Kat, nice to meet you. Welcome aboard the YWS! Make sure you don't go overboard ok? :wink:
Sorry, I was trying to be funny.
Anywho, the rules have already been explained to you, and as Claeren has mentioned, the blue ones are Greeters. And I'm a bluey! *acts proud*
I would like to explain to you our titles. We have something like gentleman, Duke and so on, but our are much better!

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15-49 posts
Writer: 50-99 posts
Senior Writer: 100-249 posts
Novelist (where you start getting those custom titles): 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
And there are more, as master of the forum and so *acts proud again*

So, tell us more about yourself!
Cookies or ice cream?
Strawberry or chocolate?
Do you wear dresses?

(random just makes me smile :D)

Short stories rock! It's awesome to finish one, it fells great, doesn't it?
I often don't finish them; I'm lazy.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything! )the middle button t the end of this post)
*Kat*

p.S: If you need a review, stop by my 'Will review for food' thred. (got to the 'Community forums and selct the sub-forum on the Lounge, scrool down and you'll find my thread :wink:)
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat May 02, 2009 5:56 pm
JoJo Davies says...

thanks guys !

and to you Kat, I like chocolate, not a dress fan but wear plenty of skirts, of course cookies! Um, what else^^

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 02, 2009 6:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Skirts are very fun to war. If I owned more I'd wear them. xD

So, if you're here for writing help, there are a lot of places to go. For instance,

~ The Instructors. Like Claeren mentioned, we (I'm purple under the blue) will review your work with a fine-toothed comb, but that's not all. We also help you with reviews. Just bug one of us and we'll give you tips on how to critique. Feel free to ask us anything writing and critiquing wise! We don't bite unless we're reviewing, and even then.

~ The Knowledge Base is another place to go to. So you don't have to use the link every time, hover your mouse over Resources in the header and click the Knowledge Base. Then you'll be linked to dozens of articles about YWS navigation, grammar, prose and poetry writing, along with other stuff! Check it out. It's amazing what you can find in there.

~ Will Review for Food, a subforum of The Lounge, is where people go to say they critique on request. Just read a thread that looks interesting, see if the person critiques the genre your story is in (what the critic reviews/will not review is in the first post of the thread), and post on that tread. Critics sometimes take awhile to get back to you, but the result is worth it.

If you need anything, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sat May 02, 2009 11:13 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Hi there Jojo Davies! Welcome to YWS.
We really can't stress the two to one ratio enough. For every work you past, you must have a minimum of two review done. It's just common courtesy, and it ensures that all members get a review.
Don't use all caps, because that's screaming. And chatspeak is a no-no. It tends to annoy some people.

You live in France! That's amazing. I take French in school, and I've always wanted to go. Francais est une langue tres belle. :D
Do you only write short stories and books, or have you tried your hand at poetry too? Who's your favorite author?

Can't wait to review your work! Once again, welcome! :wink:
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 am
anti-pop says...

Hi JoJo!

It's great to meet you! I'm Pop. :D

Since the basic rules have been mentioned, I guess I'll just talk about some other cool features this site has. ^_^

There's our shiny new Chat room, which is probably the best place to be if you love to, well, chat. It's also an easy way to meet other members - users flock there 24/7 so there's always someone to socialize with.

At the top of the screen via the black bar, there's a Blog icon. Click it.
Set up your very own internet rage outlet. (Or use it for whatever purpose you deem necessary.) 'Blog News' shows other member's blog updates, and the YWS blog is the official site blog.

Here at YWS, we're a big family. We love each other a lot, and eventually, we'll come to love you to. :D
Just kidding! But really, you will most definitely make some great friends thanks to this site. In fact, there is one member who we're planning on surprising (why? Because we can!) and you can join in on the fun here
Really, we'd love for you to help out with the surprise. It's a big project, and we want as many people as we can to join in!

So, gathering from your comment, you're not from France originally? (And you said "y'all". You get a cookie for that.) I'm guessing the U.S., possibly? XD

And no worries - you will most definitely get good advice on this site. Everyone loves to help out; we're all just incredibly awesome people here!
So welcome to the family! I'm really happy to have you here, and I will certainly help out or answer any questions if you have them. Never hesitate to ask! :D

Pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun May 03, 2009 3:15 am
View Likes
Linx says...

Hi JoJo! Welcome to YWS, the best website on the internet for learning how to write gooder. :wink:

Now, one thing we have on YWS is the point system. To be able to post your stories and poems, you need to have points. If it's a long story, it usually takes 150 points. You automatically get 300 points, but if you want to post more, you need to get more points.

And how do you get more points?

Well, you get more points by reviewing other people's stories or poems, and by replying in certain forums. Since I am posting here in the Welcome thread, I am getting points; that's because in this forum, you get points from replying.

You can also compete with other members on the site for the most points. You can see the top five members with the most points on the front page.

So, enough about rules and systems. I can second the ones above me saying that YWS is like a family. We all help each out as much as possible. So if you ever need any help on anything, you can always PM me. I am almost always available. :D

And don't you love these smilies? :arrow: :D But I love this one the most :arrow: 8)

So, you said ya'll! *gives another cookies along with anti-pop's cookie* I love it when people say ya'll, because I always say it as well. :D

I'll hope to see you around!

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun May 03, 2009 3:40 am
Evi says...

Jojo! I love your name. :D *steals* Welcome to YWS, dear. I hope you enjoy yourself. I'm eVi, and given that I'm an Instructor, feel free to PM me about reviews whenever you need some help.

First of all-- Rules. Here: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/rules.php Follow them, and no one will eat you. (Kidding! :D None of us bite, honestly. ) Biggest is that you have to review at least two things before posting your own stuff. The 2:1 ratio-- keeps the world turning round, you know. xD

If you want to make some awesome new friends, check out the Chat. It's on the home page, towards the middle of the screen; it's a great way to introduce yourself to everyone.

Also, be sure to start your own blog! If you go under Blogs on the black header at the top of your screen, you'll find that you can name, design, and write in your very own customized blog for YWS to read and comment on. Take a look at what others are blogging about, too; there's always something interesting being discussed. ;)

Alright, so. Tell us. What kind fo genres do you like to write? Ever tried your hand at poetry? Ever finished a novel? I'd love love love to be able to be able to speak French-- I'm learning Spanish, though, and two languages seems like a bit much for right now. :wink:

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sun May 03, 2009 4:34 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Bonjour et Bienvenue a YWS, Jojo. Je m'appelle Caligula's Launderette ici mais tu pouves m'appeler Cal.

Comment allez-vous? Tu habites où en France? J'ai habité en France il ya quelque temps mais mon français est très mal. Mon espagnol est beaucoup beaucoup mieux. Je vais arrêter maintenant avant qu'il ne soit trop horrible.

Three short stories finished! That's awesome. I cannot say that when I was 15 I could say the same.

If you have any questions about writing, or YWS, or just want to talk to someone feel free to message (PM) me with whatever.

One thing that you've probably already found out, but is integral to writing/reviewing part of our community is the 2 to 1 policy. Before you can post your own work, go off an review/critique two pieces not of your own making. If you ever have questions or trouble reviewing someone else's work, you can ask pretty much any one in purple (that's Instructors), or green (that's Moderators, Junior and otherwise), or yellow (Distinguished Members), including myself.

Welcome to the family, Jojo.

A bientôt,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 9:34 am
mimimac says...

Hello JoJo! I'm Mia :D
I adore your name, it's my best friend's nickname (her name is Joanna). Also, there's a shope called JoJo's near where I live. xD

I'm sure you will love YWS! We're all like a big happy family and we're all friendly and amazing if I do say so myself. xD :P
Personally, YWS has greatly improved my writing, and I mean this. I didn't really know much before I started here. Yes I had a wide vocabulary, yes I knew how to spell properly ect. However, I didn't give my stories life. (Not saying that I'm much better at this now, but I've really improved and I think it shows :))
I just thought I'd point out term abbreviations such as: ect, brb, lol, MC (main character) are allowed on YWS. However, chat speak on the whole is a big no!
You live in France? :O Lucky! I learn french at school... though I don't think I'm good at it.
Je m'appelle Mia, j'habite dans un petite ile qui s'appelle Malta. (Did that go well? No I don't think so :P, ang yes I know it didn't have any accents but I'm not sure about how to add them in the quick reply box :P)
PM me if you need any help or any reviews!
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin