z

Young Writers Society

Hey everybody

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:55 am
BustedFlush says...

Its been awhile since I have submitted anything to YWS so I thought I would reintroduce myself. Hopefully I can make up for lost time. :wink:
I'm in college now and live outside of Baltimore.
If anyone wants to fill me in on all the changes to YWS over my 3 year absence that would be great.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 am
Claeren says...

Well, BustedFlush, welcome - er, back. Well, anyway, good to see that your becoming active again here on YWS!

~Claery

<== Hurry and click, before they all die!

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 am
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Flush! I'm Kat, nice to meet you. Well, I wasn't here (yet) three years ago, so I don't know if anything changed... so I'll give you the normal greet! I'm a Greeter (blue).
So, I assume the rules haven' change, but still:
- Rate your work. Rated works will appear on the Home page, except the ones rated R, If your work contains adult themes or rough language, please rate it as R.
- Keep the 2:1 ratio. You probably know this one, but for all means, this policy says that for every piece of work you post, you should do two reviews.
- No chat speak is allowed (except for the traditional MC, POV and lol, but don't overuse them!) and keep you caps to a minimal. We're all writers here, so we appreciate proper language.

So, what do you like to read, review and write?
What are your favorites?

Feel free to PM me if you need anything! And stop by my Will Review for Food thread, if you want a review!:wink:
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sun May 03, 2009 1:21 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hello! :D I'm not sure how different things are now but a kind of recent thing is the development of the new chat ^^ It's easy to access from the homepage and open 24/7 so if you ever feel like chatting to some of the other members then it's a brilliant place to go!

There are also always some great contests going on so if you ever want to earn some more points then I'd take a look :) I'm not sure if they have changed much but they are fun to take part in anyway :P

How have you been finding being back? Have you posted anything lately? Well hope to see you around, I'm completely addicted to YWS myself :P If you ever need anything don't hesitate to PM me! I'm a purple so instructor and would be happy to review any work you would like me to :)
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun May 03, 2009 1:39 pm
Jon says...

Hi Busted Flush, welcome back! I'm Jon. :D

I'd have to say the site has changed a lot over the last three years. However, I've only been here for about almost a year now.

:arrow: The New YWS
Yes! Nate, the awesome Admin as you might remember, is making a new one! No guarantees, but, it should be up and running in the near future! It will have more features and new things you can do.

:arrow: College:
Great! How's it going for you?

I'm also wondering how you found the site again after being off so long!

:arrow: Help:
There is a thing on this site called the "Buddy System". I myself am a Mentor. What is a mentor you ask? It is a person you can PM whenever you have a question about anything! Isn't that great? I will be your Mentor if you'd like. That way, I can answer any questions you have.

:arrow: Writing:
Yes! Have you written anything lately? I'd love to see some of it! What do you like to write?

YWS is a great site and you'll find that you'll love it. (Again). ^^

:arrow: The Name Colors:
Red: Admins, they control mostly everything that happens. (They don't bite, so don't worry)
Dark Green: Moderators: They can lock topics, move them, yadda yadda... (They can bite) Kidding!
Light Green: Junior Moderators: They are assigned to a certain forum. If you need someone to lock something in poetry for you, then go to a poetry mod. :D
Purple: Instructors, We are the people who give you nice reviews that help you. (Not saying that a non-purple couldn't do that.)
Blue: Greeters, they do what I'm doing now, they greet new members. (Or in your case, welcome them back.)
Yellow: Distinguished members, they are no longer active on the site, but have been a Mod or admin.

Alright, let all that marinate. Great to have you back!

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 pm
View Likes
mimimac says...

Hey! I'm Mia. :)
I have no idea what changes have been made because I've only been here for a few months so I don't know how it was before. :P

However, we have an awesome new chat room that can support loads of members.
The rules are:
NO TALKING IN ALL CAPS. (it's very painful and distracting.)
No chatspeak. At all. (Except for term abbreviations such as: ect, lol, brb, MC (main character).
No doing this: heeeeeeeeellllooooo!!!! Byyeeeee!!! (You get the point).
Chat moderators are usually found on there all the time, they are the people with their names in green and at the top of the who's online list. They have the power to kick you out of chat if you break the rules... so beware. :P

I take it you know about the name colours on YWS? Well just in case you doing:
People with blue names are greeters. They greet all newbies and are usually found on the welcome threads.
Purple names are instructors (I'm one). We review and help people improve their writing skills.
Light green names are junior moderators. They sort of supervise us and help out with minor problems, making sure all members behave and everything is running well. :)
Dark green names are Moderators: They sort of do the same job as the junior moderators, but they deal with serious problems and are responsible for hosting and running a lot of games and activities.
Red names are admins, they make sure the site runs smoothly.
Orange names are distinguished members. They are usually retired moderator

Also, we are sort of doing a small 'prank' on someone which includes lots of writing and such... I suggest you check it out here:
viewgroup.php?f=296

Hope you have a great time on YWS, personally it has really helped in my writing and I hope you get the same experience from it :)
xxMiaxx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun May 03, 2009 7:15 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Hey there! Welcome to YWS. I'm Explosive_Pen; call me Eliza or El, or whatever you're heart desires. :D
We have a strict 2:1 ratio. For every work you post, make sure to get at least two reviews done. This is so that each member gets a review.
Please don't use chatspeak or write in all caps. It annoys some of us.

Now then, nothing's really changed on YWS except the chat's niftier now. :D
If you need any help or have any questions, just PM me.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm
Evi says...

So I'm not sure about the changes, but I will tell you what's going on right now. Mainly, why are you being Greeted by a bunch of Instructors, and why are the Greeters in the literary forums, reviewing like crazy?

Why, the answer's simple. ^^ We're in the middle of a war of epic proportions! Which means, in case you're not aware, that the two teams are switching jobs for a week. It keeps us on our toes, you know. :wink: I just thought I'd explain to you why the Purps were attacking your Welcome thread, and that no, everyone isn't going crazy.

Well, I can't speak for everyone. :roll: But you know what I mean.

So I'm not sure what all existed three years ago and what's new, but there is a new and improved Chat room-- check it out, and re-acquaint yourself with the old members while meeting some newer members also.

Make sure to pick up your blog, if you've forgotten about it or haven't started one yet! We'd all love to hear about you. ;) On that topic, you can also make an About the Authors for yourself. (No, it's not egotistic! We all do it!) so that everyone can get to know even more about you.

Have fun again!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon May 04, 2009 3:35 am
Hannah says...

=D Welcome back!
I'd definitely second Evi's recommendation to start up a blog. I am kind of a blog snooper. I love to poke around blogs and see what everyone writes about. =D It kind of also gives members a personality beyond their writing or reviewing (though the chat serves pretty well for that as well). =]

I haven't actually been at YWS /too/ long to fill you in on any changes. =D Everyone's mentioned the chat already (which I really do recommend you stop in some time -- great to get to know everyone), and that's the only big thing that's occurred. =]

Oh, but I'd also like to make sure you visit the Knowledge Base. I think it's sad we don't take that much advantage of it. I waded through it while I was writing the last story I wrote and it helped a lot, so hover over that 'resources' button up top and give it a look-through! =D

I'm Hannah, by the way. Let me know if you ever need anything reviewed. C:

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson