z

Young Writers Society

And so arrives the Tempest...

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm
Ire of the Tempest says...

Okay sorry for the dramatic title, but I am loath to put the generic "Hi" or "I'm new!"! No offence to those who do though! :D

The name is pretty dramatic too and I don't expect anyone to type it all out every time they want to address me, heh, Tempest or Ire will suffice! :wink: It is just that Tempest was taken and I'd sooner dance about in a thunderstorm wielding a metal pole than use numbers in my name!

:roll: Okay perhaps that's an exaggeration but enough of my ramblings. Let me try to do this properly without seeming entirely insane!

Hi everyone! You can call me Tempest and I am a great fan of writing and reading fiction! My favourite genres are Fantasy and Science Fiction and I will rarely dabble with anything realistic, there is enough of that in our world already! :) My preferred style is the ubiquitous third person, but recently I have come to the conclusion that first person could be interesting as well! I thoroughly enjoy elaborate and fanciful descriptions and well developed characters that you can easily warm to or hate with a fiery passion.

I am pretty sure that I had a piece published several years ago in a book that is connected to this community, the 'Young Writers. Telling Tales' book. Primarily, that is my reason for seeking out this place but I am always looking for good places to write!

Well I think I have dragged on for long enough now! :lol: It is good to be here at the community and I hope to get to know as many of the 10,000~ people here as possible! :wink:

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:38 pm
Shauni says...

AllĂ´ Ire! Welcome to our ginourmous family, The YWS! :P
You just met one of the numerous people here. Just a few mores to go... :D

You had yor own piece of work in a published book?
Pretty cool...

Oh Gosh, I just take myself as ignorant...

Moving on...

Fantasy and Science Fiction are very appreciated here (as all the rest of the genres). We just go for everything. ;) If you click on the top button that says "Groups" and scroll down you will fing a lot of groups involving science, science-fiction, strange things are other similar groups as other stuff you may like... :D Just a tip there!

Here on YWS we have some basics. The main rules. We would all appreciate if you follow them or somebody could rip your head off...
:D
Just kidding.

~No chat speak or capitalized sentences/words. We are all proper writers here.

~Rate your works accordily. Rated works PG-13 below will appear on the YWS front page.

~Please keep a 2:1 review. This means that for every post of your own work you post you should make at least 2 reviews.

That's it for he basics. I will let other people explain the rest.
Let's put YWS aside for a moment and hear a bit more about yourself...

Who are your favorite authors?
What's your favorite genre of music?
Ice-cream or cookies?

If you need anything, have a question or just purely wanna chat, feel free to OM me anytime!

Best wishes

Shauni^^

Random avatar

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Ah, thank you for the welcome Shauni! So soon as well! :)

Fear not, I am a grammar and spelling freak! If I fail to uphold my standards of gleaming grammar I would have to eviscerate myself. With a spoon.

Thank you though for all those nuggets of information! I am sure they will be invaluable to me! :D

Now for your questions, which as I am sure are entirely vital to everyone!

:wink:

Favourites, ooh, I do not like this word much (despite having used it in my previous post) as I believe everything has its own pro's and con's and should be considered in relative to what it is!

I will try to answer as best I can nonetheless!

Authors? Ah, many do I have!

Terry Pratchett and his wonderful Discworld books!
Authors from the Black Library of Warhammer 40K Novels, Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill to mention but two!
J.R. Tolkien, that legend of a man.

Music? Anything that has a beat or tune that catches my ear I suppose. I tend to lean towards rock, in all its forms (except possibly screamer), house, drum and bass and the occasional pop song. I know, terrible.

Ice-cream on a hot day, but nothing beats a good chocolate chip cookie with a cup of tea! :)

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey Ire! This is Vivi here.

So, you have your writing in a published book? That's awesome.

Hey Ire, have you seen those stars below someone's avatar? Those keep track of all the reviews you have done. Here's the long chart of how many stars equals to how many reviews 8)
Yellow stars:

5 Reviews = 1 Star

25 Reviews = 2 Stars

75 Reviews = 3 Stars

150 Reviews = 4 Stars

250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars

450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars

550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars

650 Reviews = 4 Blue Stars, 1 Yellow Star

750 Reviews = 5 Blue Stars

Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars

950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars

1050 Reviews = 3 Red Stars, 2 Blue Stars

1150 Reviews = 4 Red Stars, 1 Blue Star

1250 Reviews = 5 Red Stars
I know what you're thinking, those are a lot of reviews. Don't worry, not that many people have gotten that high. It takes a long time to get that high. Take example me, my review count isn't that high. Don't worry.

You like fantasy? I love fantasy! It's practically the only thing I write! Also one of the only genre I read. There's a lot of fantasy groups out there in the Group icon. Each focusing on a different subcategory of the amazing genre.

If you need any help, or want me to review your work, remember that you can always PM me.
:D
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm
bubblegum says...

Welcome to YWS, Tempest! ^^

Well, I really look forward to read your stuff and to see you in the forums.
And, I guess I'll see you later..

~ Bubblegum
May all your dreams come true.. (even the ones they laughed at).

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Tempest! How are you doing? Welcome to YWS!
How does it feels to be apart of this awesome society? *points microphone* *newbie looks awkward* Hum, very interesting.
Moving on! *throws microphone to the ground*
I would like to explain to you our rainbow! As Shauni has so well explained to you the rules, and Vivacious who quoted the star rank from The Rules (which I advise you to take a look at. You click on the button at the top of the page that says 'Help and Support' and select 'Rules and Guides'), and for the warmly welcome of bubblegum!

Now, let's get on to it!

If you have taken a look around, you might have noticed that some users have their names colored. That's because we have jobs (fun ones, not the normal boring jobs :D).

Blue - Greeters! *go greeters!* As myself. Our job is to welcome the newbies (as yourself), making them feel welcomed and answer their questions.

Purple - Instructors. They give the most detailed and constructive reviews, and also answer questions.

Dark Green/Light Green - Light green goes for Junior Moderators or Moderators in training. Dark green gos for Mods. They control the forums.

Red - Administrators. They make sure the awesome society runs smoothly.

Orange - Distinguished members. They're basically retired Mods or Adms, but they still have authority here.

And that's it!
Shauni has asked some awesome random questions. let's see if I can come up with more!
Pop or Rock?
Dogs or cats?
What's your favorite color?

Random things make me smile :D But incredibly these can tell lots of things about yourself!

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you need anything!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 pm
MeadowLark says...

Heya there Temptest!

Awesome name I must say ;)

Well, everyone has explained all the rules to you. But I surely advise you to follow the 2:1 ratio. Especially before you post one of your pieces. It makes you feel less foolish *coughs* I would know.

So you like Fantasy? Awesome. I always haunt the Fantasy forum--it's really the only stuff I can review-- and can't wait to read some of your work ^_^

If you have any questions concerning your work just give me a PM. Enjoy the site and can't wait to see you around.

Happy Writing!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

Random avatar

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 am

I feel welcomed now indeed! You're all so friendly! Haha!

Vivacious, thank you very much for the chart! It certainly gives me something to strive towards achieving! :wink:

Thanks for the welcome Bubblegum, I hope to see you around and hopefully review some of your work! :D

Dear member who writeswattheywant, thank you for that information! Now I will know which members not to upset! :wink: Hah, I jest, I jest. As for your questions, since you like random I'll answer!

Pop or Rock? Definitely rock.

Dogs or cats? Hm, once again my theory of favourites comes into this. Cats are independent, cunning and stealthy and for this I like them. Dogs are loyal and have a happy, bouncy attitude that I can't help but love. For this I love them both equally for their individual traits!

Favourite colour? There we go with favourites again! :lol:

Let's see, I tend to like combinations or different colours depending on what they are part of.

For example, ultramarine blue and gold is one of my favourite combinations but I love the dark greens of shadowed forests, or the sparkling blue of a sun-lit sea, the rich royalty of red and the flow of dark purple. So, don't really have a favourite.

MeadowLark! Your name intrigues me just as much as mine does you I am sure! :) Thank you for the offer and I will certainly keep it in mind!

Since there are a lot of fantasy fans about here I think that will be the genre of my first piece, after my two reviews of course! :wink:

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20 am
Syte says...

All right, another fantasy lover!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of fantasy do you like reading the most?

Anyway, I might as well talk about some other stuff, as well, so I don't appear to be so one-dimensional :)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of "Hi, I'm new" myself. You also have a really nice user-name :)

I'll be sure to check out some of your stories when they come out :)

I am also a big fan of fantasy, and that's mostly what I write.

See you around.

Random avatar

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey there Syte, thanks for the welcome!

Which type of fantasy? Well, I would have to say the J.R. Tolkien kind but I am no enemy of variation. I just have a great love for legendary tales, Orcs (Orks), Elves, Dwarves, Sorcerers, Wizards and magic! All of it just comes together to make one big cake of epic! :D

However I do enjoy reading widely and I've delved into fantasies akin to those found in Novels such as The Wind On Fire Trilogy and the Abhorsen, Sabriel and Lirael books. The former were certainly a more subtle kind of fantasy in relative to Lord of the Rings but still very enjoyable and the latter was very intriguing, about necromancy!

Thanks for the compliment on my name; I am glad people don't think me a silly! :D

I just squeezed out my first review so after I get the second one out I'll be writing that fantasy tale of mine. I already have a rough idea of what it is going to be and I have a feeling it may stretch to several posts, as I believe I read that the most you should write in any one post is 1,500 words. That certainly won't be enough, haha!

Hope to see you about too Syte!

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain