z

Young Writers Society

Hello :D *curtsies*

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am
BlueShift says...

I've been around for a while, but I've only recently gone a-posting 8D. My real name's Hannah, but it'd be nice if people called me BlueShift too :D. Anyway, I'm an aspiring writer, and I'm completely in love with literature :D. Writing is what I want to do for a living :). I joined YWS in hopes of acquiring mentors and online friends :D.

I'll see you all around! *victory dance*

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am
bailecielo says...

hey sis! :D yap, this place is amazing! :D hehe... i can't believe i've been posting at the wrong site! no wonder i couldn't find you there! haha! :D
"Love is the black of cliches" ~bailecielo'09~

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 am
Hannah says...

Anyway, I'm an aspiring writer, and I'm completely in love with literature. Writing is what I want to do for a living . I joined YWS in hopes of acquiring mentors and online friends.

Hey, BlueShift! ^_^ Welcome to YWS~

Let me just clue you in on a few of the basic rules, though you might have already seen them in your adventures around the site.

First of all, we have a 2:1 ratio rule. This means you have to review works from two other members before posting any work of your own. That way we keep everyone reviewing~

Second of all, though I don't think you'll have a problem with it, it's highly appreciated that you use correct grammar, punctuation, etc., even when you're not posting your work. This means you should try to avoid chatspeak, though abbreviations such as POV, MC, etc., are okay. ^_^

Also, be sure to rate your work so it shows up on the front page {unless it's R}!

Anyways, tell us a bit more about yourself. We already know you stole my name. -shifty eyes- But what kind of books do you like the most? What is your favorite genre to write in, and what other genres do you write? Do you like Fruity Pebbles? Have you ever seen an Emu?

Hehe.
Let me know if you ever need any of your work reviewed, okay? You can see from my purple name that I'm an instructor, which means I'm specifically here to give you top-notch critiques and help you improve your writing. =]] My PM inbox and guestbook are always open to you~ Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Again, welcome to the site! =D

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Random avatar

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:32 pm
BlueShift says...

@bailecielo: Hi sis! haha, yeah, that was funny xD we get lost even online :D

@Hannah: I suppose it's a good sign for my writing career to have the same name as one of the instructors here :D. *optimism*

Thank you so much for reminding me about the 2:1 ratio rule. It slipped me since I've been gone for a while :).

Oh, and as for my type of literature, I read a lot of fantasy, though I also immerse myself in other genres, such as world literature and general fiction. My favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen :).

I write about all sorts of things, but my works usually fall into fantasy and romance. I find it wonderful how you can create your own world where magic thrives and people without pointy ears are abnormal :D.

I'm mostly into story and essay writing. I try to write poetry when I feel like it, but there hasn't been much success there, hm.

I do not know what Fruity Pebbles are, but I HAVE seen and fed an emu when I went to Australia a few years back :D. Haha!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:01 pm
Hannah says...

I suppose it's a good sign for my writing career to have the same name as one of the instructors here Very Happy. *optimism*

Thank you so much for reminding me about the 2:1 ratio rule. It slipped me since I've been gone for a while Smile.

Oh, and as for my type of literature, I read a lot of fantasy, though I also immerse myself in other genres, such as world literature and general fiction. My favorite book is Persuasion by Jane Austen Smile.

I write about all sorts of things, but my works usually fall into fantasy and romance. I find it wonderful how you can create your own world where magic thrives and people without pointy ears are abnormal Very Happy.

I'm mostly into story and essay writing. I try to write poetry when I feel like it, but there hasn't been much success there, hm.

I do not know what Fruity Pebbles are, but I HAVE seen and fed an emu when I went to Australia a few years back Very Happy. Haha!

Teehee~ I'm sure there are very many people named Hannah and the name, though super cool because we can spell it forwards and backwards if we like, has no special power of its own.

I have never read Persuasion, but I have greatly enjoyed a few other novels from the same relative time period, such as Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and I'm currently working through Wuthering Heights, which I would highly recommend if you haven't already read it! =D

Oh, teehee~ I used to love fantasy as well. I suppose I still do, but I haven't read/written any of it lately, since I'm exploring realistic fiction for now. =D Have you always written fantasy? What fantasy books inspire you? ^_^

I also recommend dabbling a bit in poetry! If you learn a bit more about it, learn to try to phrase certain messages in a short space of time, it's my opinion that it can definitely help your prose a bit, especially when just regarded as a side hobby sort of thing. I, personally, love poetry, but I just recently came into writing it, and I'm quite enjoying it~ Teehee~ Do you read poetry at all? ^_^

And no Fruity Pebbles? D: How disgraceful! I ate them for breakfast today. :C I'm glad you've seen an emu though: that means we can be friends! xDD -gigglefits-

-Hannah-

Random avatar

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm
BlueShift says...

@Hannah: Oh, well, I suppose I prefer to remain disillusioned and think Hannahs are meant for greatness xD.

Oh, Jane Eyre is also one of my favorite novels ever! :D And I know the story of Pride & Prejudice inside out, though quite ironically I haven't read the novel in full xD. I tried reading Wuthering Heights but it bored me @__@. Perhaps when I get in the mood for a passionately dark novel I will take it up again.

Well, I think my real attempts at story-writing have always been about fantasy :). But my earlier works were fanfics, and I explored my own beliefs in them, so they were mostly about love and faith. My fantasy role models are Garth Nix, Jonathan Stroud and Susanna Clarke. Have you read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel? :D

Oh yes, I do read poetry because of my friend, who posts here as KnightleyAngel09. I think it's awfully pretty, but it's much harder to write than prose :(. But maybe that's only because I haven't done a lot of poetry at all xD.

Hurray for the topic of emus and its ability to create friendship!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:12 pm
Hannah says...

BlueShift wrote:@Hannah: Oh, well, I suppose I prefer to remain disillusioned and think Hannahs are meant for greatness xD.

Oh, Jane Eyre is also one of my favorite novels ever! :D And I know the story of Pride & Prejudice inside out, though quite ironically I haven't read the novel in full xD. I tried reading Wuthering Heights but it bored me @__@. Perhaps when I get in the mood for a passionately dark novel I will take it up again.

Well, I think my real attempts at story-writing have always been about fantasy :). But my earlier works were fanfics, and I explored my own beliefs in them, so they were mostly about love and faith. My fantasy role models are Garth Nix, Jonathan Stroud and Susanna Clarke. Have you read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel? :D

Oh yes, I do read poetry because of my friend, who posts here as KnightleyAngel09. I think it's awfully pretty, but it's much harder to write than prose :(. But maybe that's only because I haven't done a lot of poetry at all xD.

Hurray for the topic of emus and its ability to create friendship!

I will join you in disillusionment, actually! It can't hurt anything, can it? Teehee.
Jane Eyre! I only read it this past year for British Literature class, but I'd always meant to read it anyways, so it was nice. Oh, and you are amazing. I pretend to love Pride and Prejudice, but never actually finished it either. Still, the Kiera Knightley version of the movie never fails to make me completely happy, and so I will love it and the portion I /have/ read!

Wuthering Heights has taken me a bit to wade through {still not done and I started ages ago}, but I am compelled to finish because I actually watched a movie of it on masterpiece theater or something like that, so I want to see how different it is from that. I hope you revisit it at some point. C;

I haven't read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel, though I've seen it on shelves many times. o_O; I have, however, read a fair bit of Garth Nix and loved what I read. The Sabriel series in particular was brilliant, but I also read Shade's Children. If that is one of your influences, I'm excited to read your fantasy work! =D

I also considered poetry a lot harder than prose. Up until recently all my poetry was atrocious, self-centered prose chopped up into lines. xD You should explore some of the articles about poetry in the Knowledge Base to learn a bit more about techniques, should you be interested at any time. =D

-waddles with an emu-

Random avatar

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:11 am
BlueShift says...

Hannah wrote:I pretend to love Pride and Prejudice, but never actually finished it either. Still, the Kiera Knightley version of the movie never fails to make me completely happy, and so I will love it and the portion I /have/ read!

Me too! I've watched the film many, many times over, and I know most of the lines, haha! I've also seen the BBC miniseries of Pride & Prejudice. It's more faithful to the novel, but less romantic, I'm afraid.

Hannah wrote:I have, however, read a fair bit of Garth Nix and loved what I read. The Sabriel series in particular was brilliant, but I also read Shade's Children. If that is one of your influences, I'm excited to read your fantasy work! =D

Oh my, what have I gotten myself into? xD haha!

Hannah wrote:I also considered poetry a lot harder than prose. Up until recently all my poetry was atrocious, self-centered prose chopped up into lines. xD You should explore some of the articles about poetry in the Knowledge Base to learn a bit more about techniques, should you be interested at any time. =D

Oh yeah, I haven't checked out that forum yet :). I'll definitely read some threads about poetry :D.
Last edited by BlueShift on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:27 am
Hannah says...

Me too! I've watched the film many, many times over, and I know most of the lines, haha! I've also seen the BBC miniseries of Pride & Prejudice. It's more faithful to the novel, but less romantic, I'm afraid.

Awww, I will probably just stick with my beautiful little indie film. I'm serious, it's sunshine like no other movie I've ever seen. Maybe one day when I've finished the novel I'll attempt the miniseries version. xD

h my, what have I gotten myself into? xD haha!

Fun! <3

Teehee~ I shall waddle away now, but feel free to PM me and continue our fantastic, emu-filled conversation. ^_^

-Hannah-

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya Blue!

I'd like to direct your attention to the Resources button in the header. Right click on that, then select the Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is a huge collection of articles, written by YWSers, on topics such as writing prose, poetry and navigating YWS. Poke around to see what's there. It might be best to set aside a couple of hours.

*Squeezes into conversation*

Fantasy romance is my favourite genre too! Never read Jane Austen (I want to, though), but stuff like Tamora Pierce, Zoe Merriott and Paolini really get me loving reading. I keep finding new authors too, which is just amazing. I even find fantasy where I least expect it, such as I Am Apache. It's got traces of magic in it, just enough to have it qualify as fantasy. ^_^

If you have any questions, drop me a line! You can also ask me for critiques, since I'm a purple under the blue coat. I'm pretty sure somebody will come alone and explain all the colours too you soon enough. ^_^

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:07 am
BlueShift says...

Hi Rosey! Oh my, that's just fantastic. I thoroughly love works of fantasy seasoned with nice, fluffy romance xD. Have you read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale? It's a very well-written retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytale :). Lots of romance in it to get you going :D.

The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle is also a nice fantasy romance. It's a bit unpopular, but I think it's really nice.

Oh, and when I get the courage to post my fantasy stories here, I will definitely ask you for a review ^_^. Thanks!

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm
JordanEmert says...

Hey Hannah! (BlueShift)
Welcome to YWS!
It's great that your a writer and that you want to do it
as a career! :]

Have Fun & ask lots of questions!

-- Jordan
Well, yes mate. See, I’m dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It’s the honest ones you need to watch out for, because you never know when they’re going to do something incredibly..stupid.
Jack Sparrow<3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

The place to ask for reviews, since some people forget PM requests, is Will Review for Food. Look under "The Lounge" to find it. Or, you could just follow this link!

I haven't read The Goose Girl (yet), but I have read River Secrets. That's now one of my favourite books of all time.

I've discovered I like some fantasies without romance, but try finding one. :P I might need to go into the Jane Austen stuff, see what the classic romantics have done. Get some ideas...

As long as they don't have vampires, I'm all good. ^_^ Vampires just creep me out. (Just about anything else, however, I'm find with.)

Just get those two reviews done before you post! If you're worried about those people who tear things up, put something like "this is my first work on YWS so please be gentle." If you're not worried about that, however, just post it. :D I'd love to read it!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

"Sometimes even shooting stars find wishes that miss their marks."
— TryHardNinja