z

Young Writers Society

Introducing myself

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:18 pm
forces_09 says...

Hello, I'm a 24 year old writer from Canada, I have written many short stories and am right now working on my first novel.
I write mainly in the science fiction and fantasy categories and my current work is a mixture of both.
I find classical and slow moody music helps me write and I am currently listening to a good deal of husky male singers accompanied by a simple guitar melody.
My novel is aimed mainly at the late teen age group and is flowing quite nicely at the moment but I know I will get stuck at some point and so I decided to join a community of writers for help and support.
My current work is projected at about 300 pages, and having started yesterday I am currently only on page 20, with one complete rewrite already under my belt. The work can best be described as a supernatural thriller and love story.

My main technical writing issue is my tendency to use long run on sentences.

Thank you :)

And despite how wooden my writing seems in this introduction, I've been told my fiction is not nearly so dead, I'm merely better at expressing fiction then I am at expressing anything real about myself.
Which of course doesn't mean I lie, it simply means I'm very, very, shy, and that I feel far more comfortable expressing emotion in my writing then in reality, a flaw which I recognize quite clearly. :)

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:03 pm
sofi says...

Hello :D Welcome to the site.

You've definatly come to the right place for help and support, you'll get loads of constructive criticism and advice.

There's a group for users writing novels called 'The Novelists' which is probably a good group for you to join :D

Do you have a favourite novel? Or author?

One big rule we have here is that for every piece of your work which you post you must review the work of two others. It's just basically to make sure that everyone get's critiques and really it's just polite :D

I think a lot of people find it much easier to express their emotions through writing rather than in reality. An ability to express emotion through fiction is what makes a good writer, I would think.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the site or anything!

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:02 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

:wink: Welcome to YWS!

I hope you're having fun. Be sure to check out the FAQs and guides around the site. This link should be of great help.

Make sure you do two reviews before posting your own work. We try to keep a ratio 2:1.

I'm from Canada too! And, I too am writing a novel. Well, two actually, but they're not going too well. Your novel sounds very interesting!

If you're looking forward to meeting other people who are working on a novel, or have in the past, I think you would like join this group.

So go ahead, look around, review, write and post!

If you have questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

See you around!
-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Hihi!

Welcome fellow Canadian! It's a great place to live, eh? (Had to. xD)

Fantasy is my life. I just love writing it, as you can probably tell from my username. ^_^ Sci-fi isn't really my thing, but I'll keep an eye for your work should I see it in fantasy. ^_^

Ever heard of Josh Groban? (On the subject of hunky classical singers.) He's got some amazing music; it's moody and has nice rhythms to it.

Well, onto some more hints and tips!

My purple username indicated I'm an Instructor on YWS. Our job is to go through your work and give very in-depth critiques. When you're looking through the genre you want to post in, look for purple named people to ask for reviews. They can give you some very good tips. ^_^ You can also ask us how to critique. We'll help you on that front, too.

Another place to get help is the Knowledge Base. Hover your mouse over "Resources" in the header, then click the Knowledge Base option. It'll link you to dozens of articles on writing poetry, prose and how to navigate YWS. Check out all the different links to see what's there. Every article in the Knowledge Base was written by a YWSer for your reading pleasure. ^_^

If you have any questions, drop me a line! (PM or guestbook. Guestbooks are found on a person's profile.)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:42 am
Dreamwalker says...

Hello there :D. I'm The.Dreamwalker, but most people just call me dreamwalker or DW. You can call me whatever you like :D. Also, you're a canadian too? :D Canada is awesometastic (yes I went there).

And I know what you mean when it comes to introducing yourself and making it sound fairly wooden. You dont want to be to overly descriptive about yourself because you dont want people thinking 'hey this persons to into themselves' and yet if you're too modest then they go 'okay.. under the radar for sure'.

But yah, my novels also target the older teenage area. I finished my first novel just the february and I'm starting my second one. I cant wait to read your work :D.

As a greeter though, I must inform you of the no msn lingo rule and the no all caps. I believe you already understand these well enough, but it is my job XD.

Also, the basis of blue=greeter, purple= instructor, light green/green= junior mods/moderators, red= admins, orange=distinguished members as so forth.

If you have any questions about these things I will gladly answer them :D. And if you need a review or just a fellow writing friend, PM me and I'll be sure to help in any way I can.

From Dreams to Reality
~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:03 am
God says...

well, Welcome to YWS, I am God,

if the name offends you, feel free to use one of your own design, I don't care.
and don't feel bad about being able to write fiction better than non-fiction, everyone knows everything is just better in fairy-tales, plus, at least you are good at writing something...
but just to let you know, I noticed nothing particularly wooden about your introduction, seemed normal enough to me.

So, what else do you do, besides writing?

you like Kris Kristofferson (singer)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTC26gcFSlo

I think you'll enjoy it. I love it.

well, I think you already got the rules, so I wont spend time on that,

If there is anything you need, anything at all, feel free to ask myself or any of the other friendly greeters here,

Peace,
God
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:00 am
forces_09 says...

Thank you all very much for the kind words of welcome.
I'm not really into Kristofferson or Groban, but thanks for the suggestions, the kind of music that is the best example right now is never think by Robert Pattinson.
I joined, The Novelists, thank you very much for suggesting it. :)
Other then writing, I am learning to play the piano, I coach a youth track and field team, I am attending university, not in writing though, in anthropology. I play World of Warcraft and other computer and console rpg's. I also enjoy watching movies and going to night clubs with my friends in Vancouver.

I think that answers all the questions you posed. :)

And I have read and understand the rules. I abhor, text or msn speech so that should never be a problem. :)

Thanks again.

Forces

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:21 am
WaterVyper says...

Welcome Forces! Like everyone said, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. YWS is a great place for anyone working on a large project, or for anyone who enjoys writing, really. You're already familiar with the rules, I assume, so there looks to be no more need to repeat them.

I'm not that big a fan of MMOs like WoW. I prefer AQWorlds much more than that. My brother was obsessed with Warcraft for about three months or something, I don't know. It was scary, to say the least. Now, what kind of movies do you like? I'm not that big a fan of English movies; Indonesian ones are better. Even all the cheesy horror ones. Or the cliched romances.

Well, enough about me. So, it's great to know more about you! If you ever need anything at all, you can PM me! I hope to see you around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:47 pm
forces_09 says...

I'm really into most any movie, if it sounds interesting I'll give it a shot. Most recently I had a Hayao Miyazaki fest, I'm not very into anime but I enjoy his movies.

Other then that I'll watch almost anything, though if it's in another language and I'm going to have to read subtitles I have to be very interested in the story line.
"Everything in the world exists to end up in a book."
~Stéphane Mallarmé

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh