z

Young Writers Society

Hi everyone

Reviews: 1
Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 am
SurrealSteve says...

Hi, another noob here! Just introducing myself.

I haven't been writing long, maybe a year or so, not really sure why i started but am enjoying it immensely :D
I was poring over the ideas for my book when i thought 'hey, i could do with some help here', typed some keywords into google and this site seemed the most friendly and appropriate. I'm writing a fantasy fiction novel set in the real world (or trying to:P). I'm a kinda nervous person and i can get uncomfortable with people reading what i write but i thought i might just be able to stomach it if its not somebody i've physically met.

I'm 18 and from Wakefield England, in case you were wondering. Probably not.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:10 am
Bloo says...

Hi Steve, anything else you like to be called?

Well I'm Bolt or Boltage, or any form of Bolt.

So fantasy, favorite kind. Love them set in the real world, though mine are never really, or at least my current isn't, well kind of. Most of it is set out of this world, but a some is here as well.

So well right now I would like to explain the legend to you. Those are the different colors different users have. These represent jobs here, and go like so.

Black: these are just regular members like you.

Blue: This is for greeters,people like me, they are here to greet newbies like you.

Purple: They are Instructors, they are to help with writing, usually doing very in depth critics for writing

Light and dark green: These people are moderators/ junior mods, they are here to they are here to watch writing and post, to make sure they are okay, and to keep spamming away. Junior mods only moderator a certain place in here, dark greens are all around.

Red: these people are Administrators here to help the site run smoothly, and are like higher ranking mods. They also make sure the site run well in software to, they update it a lot to make it batter. The founder, Nate, is one, and he is the God Mod.

Orange: this means they are retired Admins or mods

So

your favorite books,food, band, song,...etc

You have any non writing hobbies.

And if you have any more questions fell free to PM.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

Reviews: 1
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 am
SurrealSteve says...

Just Steve will do thanks. My favourite books are the 'his dark materials' trilogy but I freely admit that my knowledge of classic literature is more than a little bit lacking and mostly confined to series in a similar vein. My favourite band is Dream Theater because the way their songs often explore the human psyche in a surreal way, like my name and also my writing I like to think. I don't really have a favourite song.

I do have one question: how exactly do those points work? You only seem to have twice as many as I do with over 2600 posts and I only joined not an hour ago :S

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:23 am
TexanWriter says...

Hey, Steve! You can call me Tex, or Texan, or TW, or something else. :)

Friendly? This is your site. I've been a member since about the start of the year, and let me tell you, this place has some of the friendliest teens and young adults I know.

We do have a few rules here at YWS:

1.) 2:1 Ratio. For every piece of your own work you post, we ask that you review at least two other works. And a review is at least one or two paragraphs long, not just a "Wow, nice job! I loved this story!"

2.) No chatspeak. Emoticons are everywhere and allowed (You'll a lot of dancing pink elephants :elephant: ; don't worry if you do, though. It does not mean aliens are taking over the world), but if you use chatspeak you're going to get bombarded. For example: "Lol! Thx for readng my stry!"

3.) No all caps. This really ticks people off. It's preferred that you italicize words instead of putting them in "THE DREADED ALL CAPS"! We become angry when you put things in "the dreaded all caps".

Points System:

Points are the currency of YWS! You earn them by reviewing other peoples works, and you spend them by posting your own work!

You get fifty points for a full review.

It costs 150 points to post a story, unless you're posting in the Advanced Critiques forum (for stories 5,000 words or longer), where it costs 500 points to post.

Don't worry about someone reading and reviewing your work. You're bound to get some confidence-boosting compliments mixed in there, and like I said before, everyone here is really nice and polite.

Welcome to the Young Writers Society! PM me if you have any questions or just want to chat.

-TexanWriter
Religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

-Albert Einstein

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hi! I'm Peanut. You asked about points? Well, here's how they work;

When you review, you get points. Depending on how long it is, that determines how many points you will get. You can also post in certain forums, or groups, but not everything on YWS gives you points. Like posting in the welcome forum, like I am now! This is giving me points, for each word/ line I add.

Points help determine the Featured Member, and you need a certain amount of points to post stories/ poems/ ect. 150 points, I think. Technically 100 because it gives you 50 points at the same time... kind of odd, don't you think?

Anyway, that's how points work. In case you don't know the rules around here, here are the main ones;

:arrow: No chat speak. It gets annoying, but, most of all, we are writers, and need to learn to write regularly without any chat speak. Some people say lol, brb, and more are OK, but I wouldn't use them, just in case.

:arrow: Follow the wonderful 2:1 ratio. For every 1 piece you post, you have to review two other pieces. This way, everyone gets reviewed.

:arrow: Rate your works. If one of your pieces has an adult situation, or some language, rate it accordingly so. Let people know what they're looking into. Plus, if you rate your works, even if it is G and doesn't have any of that stuff, then it will show up on the front page! Trust me, showing up on the front page is good; a lot of users look there for new pieces, and if yours were to show up there, then I'm pretty sure you will get more reviews than if you were not to rate it.

So, I hope this helps. PM me if you need a review, an answered question, or just someone to talk to. Bye!

8)
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 am
niteowl says...

Hi Steve! Oh god that makes me think of Blue's Clues...*brain starts to go on nostalgia trip* No! Bad brain! Come back here! *brain comes back*

Anyway, you asked about points. Well, points are a sort of reward for reviewing. You can get up to 50 points per review and you spend points by creating stories/poems/storybooks. Points are reset about every two weeks so veterans can't just accumulate points forever and leave newbies in the dust. You can also donate points if you want to.

Well, now that that's out of the way, let's get to the fun stuff, like your gift! Charlie?

'CAUSE THEY'RE WHOSE CLUES? BLUE'S CLUES! *obviously still on nostalgia trip* OH SORRY NITE, IT'S JUST THAT...I MISS STEVE! WHY DID THEY HAVE TO REPLACE HIM WITH JOE?

Um, Charlie, aren't you a bit old for Blue's Clues? And can you give Steve his gift already?

CAN I HIDE IT, AND MAKE HIM FIND IT WITH THREE CLUES?

Um...there's kind of an entire ocean and 5 time zones between him and us. That's not gonna work.

WELL OKAY THEN. *sighs* WELCOME TO YOUNG WRITER'S SOCIETY SURREALSTEVE! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt007 :smt004 :smt026 :smt024 :smt016 :smt021 :smt020 :smt027 :smt031 :smt041 :smt059 :smt068 :smt072 :smt064 :smt077 :smt114 :smt084 :smt109 :smt101 :smt083 :smt116 :smt115 :pirate1: :ftw: :smt035
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster