z

Young Writers Society

Hey there :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:39 pm
george-oram says...

Hello, I suppose as I'm here I should say a little about myself. Well, my name is George. I'm 15, from the South of England. I love playing rugby, cricket and such sports. I'm sociable, and moderately hard working. I love to write, which I suppose is a big plus on this site. I really like short stories that leave you wanting more, so that is where I normally find myself when writing. I started writing a few months back when we got assigned a creative story for coursework in English, and I just loved the freedom of the work, and so I have tried to continue writing in this manner, it provides a release for me.
The idea of reviewing others work is new to me, so some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for this.

Anyway. Thanks, look forward to reviewing and being reviewed by all of you

x

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

I'm sure other people will be around to explain the rules a bit more, but I shall focus on the wonderful ways YWS can help your writing!

Reviewing work can be tricky at first. There are a lot of articles on the subject in the Knowledge Base (which I will get to in a moment) on how to write a review. You can also bug one of the purple named people (like me!) for tips. The purple names are Instructors, and our job is to help people write and review. ^_^ One article that's a good starting place can be found here.

The Knowledge Base can be found by hovering over the "Resources" button in the header and clicking the Knowledge Base option. The Knowledge Base is full of articles written by YWSers on a lot of writing topics. Look around to find the help you need. If you look under YWS, you'll be able to find articles on reviewing and navigating the site. Poke around to find the help you need. ^_^

There is also a subforum under The Lounge in which people can ask for reviews called Will Review for Food. In this subforum, people post threads saying they'll critique on request. Post there and the critic should get around to you soon. Although, I would suggest reading the first posts on threads before requesting. Some critics don't review everything, and you don't want to get a bad critique because the person you asked isn't experienced in that aria. ^_^ The link to that forum is found here

If you want any more help, feel free to PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Storm_Bringer says...

Hello George! Welcome to YWS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

South of England.

England? Wow...

Anyways, some little rules:

~ No swearing! You may in stories but not in posts or reviews!! Got that? Because there are young people on the site.

~ No chatspeak. We are writers... Enough said.

~ 2:1 ratio. For every story/poem post you must do two reviews. That way things actually get reviewed and the forums don't get totally loaded.

~ Rate your work.

That is it. I'll let the Greeters do there work. ^^
:D

Enjoy! Welcome to YWS!!!
~Storm
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 pm
View Likes
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi George! Welcome to YWS! You'll soon be addcited.
I'm Kat, nice to meet you. It seems Rosey has given you good advises. ;)
I shall explain the rules to you, dear!

~We have a 2:1 ratio. That means that for every work of yours you post, you should do two reviews. Posts on the Community forums or Groups don't count.
~Rate your work. Rated posts will appear on the front page. Except rated R, that is when you have a work that has rough language or adult themes. In those you should rate R. That way, our younger crowd won't read things they shouldn't.
~Do not use chat speak (thins like MC, POV, and the traditional lol are allowed) and keep capitalizing to a minimal We're all writers here, so we looove proper language. So don't use things like "I g2g!", neither "I LOOOOOOOOVED IT!", okay?

Now, you like sports hum? Cricket?1 I'd love to play that :D
England! Oh dear, England!

Well, PM me if you need anything!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney