z

Young Writers Society

The Life of a Fantasy Freak

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:49 am
Syte says...

Just a warning, I have a feeling that this post will be really long, so if you're thinking about reading this: be prepared!

*Ahem* Here we go.

I've lived in my own imagination for as long as I can remember. For a long time, I wanted to be a game designer, but my feelings for that have changed recently.

The vast majority of games I play are RPGs, and 90$ of the books I read are fantasy. I usually like soft-science fiction, but I don't understand hard science-fiction enough to enjoy it. What’s more, the characters in hard-science fiction are usually too trite for me to enjoy the book, anyway. I don't like horror and I also don't like Lovecraft. Sorry, it's just really not my thing. I like literary fiction, but I don't read it as much as I'd like to because there are still many fantasy books that I haven‘t read. I'm sure I'll find time to read some more literary fiction in the future, though.

I’m not that big of a fan of comic books or manga, and although I sometimes watch anime, it’s not one of my favorite activities. I only watch anime occasionally, and the only series I know are some of the most popular ones. I watch very little TV and only occasionally watch movies. I’m usually either playing a video game or reading a book. So far, my favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop, and my favorite manga is .Hack//Legend of the Twilight. My favorite comic-book is Watchmen and I read it two years before the movie adaptation was released. That’s not saying much, though, since I do very little comic-book reading.

Concerning RPGs, I like to make a distinction between Western and Japanese RPGs, since I consider them to be different genres and I think it would be unfair to judge each of them using the same criteria. I've read many negative reviews of Western RPGs ported on the SNES, or whatever, just because the reviewer was expecting a JRPG and didn't get one. It would be like me criticizing Japanese RPGs for being too linear, or something. I've played more JRPGs than WRPGs, since I grew up playing consoles, but I know more about computer games than the typical console gamer, though half of my knowledge is due to Youtube and Wikipedia and not just experience.

I tend to play a lot of older games. I don't believe that older games are any less great than newer games just because more recent games have better graphics and storage capacity. Graphics really aren’t that important to me, anyway. I’ve played games that solely consisted of text, before. I of course have played many of the Final Fantasy games, but I don't care for most of the newer releases, and I doubt I'll be playing XIII any time soon. I didn't care for XII that much, either, though I haven‘t put my figure on why just yet. My favorite Final Fantasy games are IV, I, VII, VIII, and IX. Yes, I've heard VI is the best, and I've played it for both the SNES and GBA, but I didn't really like it, and I’ll tell you why: It's not really a big reason, but I find the battles to be too easy and unrewarding. You usually just spam your character's unique ability the majority of the fights, and I don’t like the way every character can learn all the spells. I had this problem with VII, too. As for the story element, the only complaint I have is that the premise is to “Star Wars-ish” Another fantasy story about rebels attempting to overthrow an evil empire. *yawn*. On the plus side, the main characters are pretty fleshed out. It's certainly not a bad game, but it's not one of my favorites, either.

Some of my favorite book series include Dragonlance, A Song of Ice and Fire, Book of the New Sun, Elric of Melnibone, and The Prydain Chronciles Yes, I have read Lord of the Rings, and although I regard it as a classic and a great work of art, it’s not particularly one of my favorites. I think I even liked the Hobbit better, but that’s just me.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 pm
MagnusBane says...

Hey! I love fantasy too. I'm not a big fan of Lord of the Rings, either, though. There's way too much landscape description, and I just can't imagine the characters that well to really enjoy the books.

Have you read the Mortal Instruments series yet? They're urban fantasy books, and they're honestly the best books I've ever read. I really, highly recommend reading them if you haven't.

So, what else? Do you have any pets?
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 pm
Syte says...

I haven't heard of the Mortal Instruments series, but I'll be sure to check it out :) If they're not at my local library, I'll be sure to buy them.

Yes, I have a lot of pets. I have two dogs and five cats. I used to have seven cats >.>

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs