z

Young Writers Society

[Insert a witty title here!]

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

So, after being bugged by a gazillion people (fine, so it was actually only three), I decided to make my own thread.

So.
Here.
It.
Is.

Everything you never wanted to know about me!

My user name, Antigone, is from a Greek tragedy by Sophocles. If you've heard of it... I love you! :wink:

However, my real name is bland and generic...

Spoiler! :
Erika!

Exciting, isn't it?

More about moi:

Favorites

Book: The Divine Comedy by Dante, Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, or Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I mostly read Classics. I love reading with things having to do with philosophy.
Author: Marcus Tullius Cicero and Vergil! :wink: What is my favorite author who writes in English, you say? Anne Rice or Jane Austen.
Song: Too many to count. My iPod is totally random, ranging from Andrew Lloyd Webber music, to Classical, to emo rock.
My favorite Classical piece is The Moonlight Sonata.
My favorite bands are Pink Floyd and My Chemical Romance.
Word: Sui Defenestration -- to throw yourself out of a window.
Sport: I'm on swim team. My best event is the 500 yd freestyle. Distance swimming = amazing!
Television Show: Family Guy.
Color:Purple
Movie: Forrest Gump or Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Random Information About Me

:arrow: I am thirteen years old.

:arrow: I am in eighth grade.

:arrow: I despise Twilight.

:arrow: I love mythology, especially Greek and Roman.

:arrow: In case you haven't noticed, Latin and Greek are my passions. I am learning ancient Greek and I am ranked tenth in the state for Latin.

:arrow: I speak French (badly).

:arrow: I am half Colombian. I used to speak Spanish, but I have forgotten most of it.

:arrow: I am half Jewish, and speak a little Hebrew.

:arrow: I plan to major in cryptography and linguistics, with a minor in Classics.

:arrow: I play violin, guitar, and piano. I love piano the most. Not to brag, but I actually am quite good musically. I can hear songs and then play them immediately afterward. :D

Thanks for reading! I'm rather uninteresting, huh?
Last edited by Antigone Cadmus on Mon May 17, 2010 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:29 pm
Pippiedooda says...

Hi Haruno! :D

That's not such a bad name! You should hear my full one... but you never will mwahaha :twisted:

Anne Rice is a brilliant author :) She's one of my favourites too!

Sui Defenestration- I love that word, I know its kind of evil but it sounds so good to say ^^

Monty Python and the Holy grail is amazing! Makes me laugh so much :) and forest gump is one of the sweetest films in existance 'run forest run...' :P sorry couldn't help it.

I'm studying classical civilisation next year at college so should be learning all about Ancient Greek- it sounds so good I really can't wait :) tenth in the state?! :shock: wow! That's pretty cool!

you said you weren't interesting?! You lied! You sound like a pretty interesting person to me! :D

(sorry about the overload of exclamation marks in this :P)
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 pm
MagnusBane says...

Hey!

I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I especially like the one french guy. And the killer rabbit is just amazing!

I can't stand Twilight, either. How it managed to get published is beyond me... I bet the publishers were all female.

Do you have any pets?
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 am
Rosendorn says...

I like the spelling of your name. With a K instead of a C. Something different. Yes, I am that obsessed with names that I consider a K different.

I mostly know Cicero through his quotes. Some very nice ones. I also know he was alive at the time of Cleopatra. (You know how much I like Egypt. ^_^)

The Moonlight Sonata. I think I've heard that. Sounds pretty, though.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, you say? Ever listened to Cats?

I love swimming too! Although I'm more of a fish when it comes to how I spend my time. :P Actually, I'd be more of a dolphin since I come up to breath. Periodically. xD

It is appropriate you're a purp, then. ;)

Haha, Sakura, there is something about native languages that makes them easy to forget. I'm part French Canadian, and French is my first language. I have forgotten most of my French since then. (My dad was actually upset when I was little because I would say "papa" instead of "daddy" :P)

Ever since I heard a comedian say "Colombian" in his act, I cannot hear it in my head without some sort of accent. Methinks it's Spanish, since he was half Colombian too.

Cryptography, no offence, sounds like something out of a crime show. What is it? ^_^ (True crime shows [not CSI, ick] ftw!)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:46 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

To Magnus Bane Fan:

Do you have any pets?

Yupp. I have two cats. ^_^

I mostly know Cicero through his quotes. Some very nice ones. I also know he was alive at the time of Cleopatra. (You know how much I like Egypt. ^_^)

That's a sore subject for most Classicists, lol. He was killed for making fun of Antony and his wife. They executed, cut off his head and hands, and hung his head in the Forum in Rome at the rostra where he had given speeches. Antony's wife stuck a pin through his tongue and said, "Thus the golden tongue is silenced."

*weeps for Cicero*

But I love Egypt, too! I used to want to be an Egyptologist as a child, but I'm afraid I've forgot much of it.

Andrew Lloyd Webber, you say? Ever listened to Cats?

I love Cats! I was obsessed with it when I was little, and I even saw it on Broadway!

Cryptography, no offence, sounds like something out of a crime show. What is it? ^_^

Cryptography is the study of codes. It involves a lot of math as well was language knowledge. Cryptographers write coded algorithms for the US, and intercept encrypted information from other countries.
Fun stuff. :wink:
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:03 am
Rosendorn says...

Yupp. I have two cats. ^_^

Kitties! What colours are they? How old? Personalities?

I have two cats too.

He was killed for making fun of Antony and his wife. [...] Antony's wife stuck a pin through his tongue and said, "Thus the golden tongue is silenced."

Wrong wife! That was Juliana, Antony's first wife.

Or did you know that? ;)

But I love Egypt, too! I used to want to be an Egyptologist as a child, but I'm afraid I've forgot much of it.

Reason I watch every Egypt special on the Discovery Chanel. ^_^

I love Cats! I was obsessed with it when I was little, and I even saw it on Broadway!

Haha! I got the VHS tape when I was four, and have been obsessed ever since. I saw it when it came to my city.

The songs are pretty good for writing. :D

Cryptography is the study of codes. It involves a lot of math as well was language knowledge. Cryptographers write coded algorithms for the US, and intercept encrypted information from other countries.
Fun stuff. ;)

No kidding!

I just love codes. I'm not the best at them (same goes for languages), but reading about them is amazing. Did you know that the Navajo language was used as an unbreakable code in WWII? It was impossible to break because it didn't derive from Indo-European like most languages.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

365 Reviews

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:42 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Kitties! What colours are they? How old? Personalities

One is a brownish tabby and the other one is gray and white. They are seven and three (I think!). One is very grumpy and sleeps all the time, and the other one is a bit on the not-so-smart side. :D

Wrong wife! That was Juliana, Antony's first wife

Yeah, I didn't mean Cleopatra, of course. :shock:

The songs are pretty good for writing.

:D Probably because the musical is based off of the poems of TS Elliot.

Did you know that the Navajo language was used as an unbreakable code in WWII? It was impossible to break because it didn't derive from Indo-European like most languages.

Yup! Depressing fact: if captured, soldiers were told to kill their Navajo code talker.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:59 pm
Storm_Bringer says...

Moonlight Sonata and My Chemical Romance?
I love those too. :D

Wow. Listen then play, huh? I wish I could do that, it's awesome.

I play the piano too. ^_^

~Storm
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

1272 Reviews

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

One is a brownish tabby and the other one is gray and white. They are seven and three (I think!). One is very grumpy and sleeps all the time, and the other one is a bit on the not-so-smart side. :D

Aww, they sound adorable! Both my cats are smart. Almost too smart for their own good. xD They have trained us well, s'all I can say. :P (One is black and white, 20 pounds and not fat, the other is a tabby who is seven pounds of pure personality)

Yeah, I didn't mean Cleopatra, of course. :shock:

In my city's newspaper, their was an article that they might have found Cleopatra's tomb. I can't wait for that special on the Discovery channel. :P

:D Probably because the musical is based off of the poems of TS Elliot.

I know! I also love the subtle story-line in there. About Grizabella. And Makavity, to an extent. Just really sweet.

Yup! Depressing fact: if captured, soldiers were told to kill their Navajo code talker.

That's really depressing, but not entirely surprising. Considering the way a lot of Native tribes were treated...

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard