z

Young Writers Society

Hello all

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:12 pm
lord_farquad says...

Hello everyone. I just joined up because one of my professors encouraged me to write and while I have no qualms about writing itself... for some reason I don't like showing my writing to someone I know before it's been critiqued. I also look forward to reading some of what's been written by others closer to my age. It tends to give lend an understanding of my own generation, which I do not fully understand. I am also a terrible speller and have difficulty putting my thoughts into English (a natural byproduct of being fluent in more than a few languages).

So in light of that short, albeit punnless (I always enjoy a good pun), introduction... greetings to all of you. May you always know write from wrong. Que rolling of the eyes.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:30 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hello Farquad, welcome to YWS! I am Selene *shakes hands* pleasure to meet you.

Hm, I like that pun. You should put it in your signature, because everyone should enjoy a good quip.

So here are some rules for you to take to heart:

1.) There is a 2:1 ratio when it comes to reviewing and submitting your own work. This means that you should review two pieces of work here on YWS before submitting your own.

2.) Do not use chat-speak or all CAPs in your posts on YWS. For example: "gr8 jb! luved it!" or "GREAT JOB! I LOVED IT!!!"

3.) Please rate your work. Rate it R if there is mature content, sex scenes or vulgar language.

4.) Please use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. We're all writers here, so this will be greatly appreciated by all the other members here.

If you have any question or would like a review, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 pm
Meep(: says...

Hey lord_farquad!
Welcome to our YWS family! :D

lord_farquad wrote:Que rolling of the eyes.

I do believe you mentioned about needing help with spelling?
It's supposed to be 'cue', by the way ;)

Fluent in many languages? Awesome!
I know a fair number of languages, but only phrases and words here and there.
I can only confidently say that I am fluent in english XD
So what languages are you fluent in?

Tell us more about yourself!
Favourite books, authors, music, bands...anything! :D

Oh, and feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.
~Have a great day! :D
Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:33 pm
lord_farquad says...

Thanks for the heads up on the rules.

Actually "Que" is another pun. It's a reference to a half-farthing which is part of a cultural idiom (I believe in England although I could be wrong there), referring to perfect timing. However, that kind of spelling error is something I would be very prone to doing. :)

As touching the languages: German, Russian (at least I used to be fluent in those, but that was 9 years ago), Polish, English (obviously), and Czech. Unfortunately the consequence of being able to speak/read so many languages is that written grammar comes fairly difficult in all of them.

I'm not sure I have a favorite book. I like lots of books and would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. Although I do enjoy a good fantasy/science fiction.

The same would go for authors. Although I am partial to Tolkien's and C.S. Lewis, works.

I enjoy mostly classical music, although since I've moved back to the U.S. I've developed a taste for country oddly enough. In fact I have been a times referred to as the "European hillbilly." Although my girlfriend assures me I am more European.

Other facts about me: I am a computer technician, pilot, and IBM rep.

I'm also naturally punny.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:49 pm
Storm_Bringer says...

... Sorry, I'm no help with puns and jokes, but:

Welcome to YWS!!!!!!! The place for writers to be! :D It's a great place to get your work critiqued too. :D

Oh! I enjoy science fiction and fantasy too. Well, there are specific forums for that in the Literature forums. I'm sure you'll enjoy some of those stories. :D

The colors of YWS:

I bet you've seen some members with colored names. Members with the colors have specific jobs. Now I'll explain what they all are.

:arrow: Black, regular members. Like you and me. :wink:

:arrow: Blue, Greeters, they greet the newbies and answer questions, etc... Like Meep and Selene. :D

:arrow: Purple, Instructors, they give great reviews. They help you on what you need to work on and helps improves your writing.

:arrow: Dark Green, Moderators. They make sure everything is in the right place, and that posts are clean.

:arrow: Light Green, Junior Moderators. They do the same as Moderators just in a specific forum.

:arrow: Orange, Distinguished Members. Retired moderators or special members. :)

:arrow: Red, Site Admins. They keep YWS up and running.

Now For The Groups!

There are many groups. They are groups for everything, for people who enjoy the same things, anything. It is right in the middle of the resources and writing icons at the top. If you want to make a new group then you must get five people to join before you can. Enjoy yourself in these groups! :D

And The Blogs!

You can create a blog on YWS! There is a blog icon on the top of the page and go to blog control panel to set up your very own blog. It is very fun if you enjoy stuff like that! To visit your blog go to the icon and go to My Blog. Have fun with that! :D

Yep. So that's all...

So, welcome to YWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the site or need a review. ^_^
~Storm
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey Lord_farquad. Please to meet you, I'm Vivi. Here are some other things you should know.
Stars under avatars keep track of how many Reviews you have done.
The Yellow:
5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

The Blue:
350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars

The Red:
850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
And it goes on, and on, and on!

Titles are the words under your username. Here are some of the first titles:
New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15-49 posts
Writer: 50-99 posts
Senior Writer: 100-249 posts
Novelist(where you start getting those awesome custom titles): 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
And there's more!
So, have a good time on YWS, lord(teehee)
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Hello, Farquad! Welecome to YWS!

Please remember to-

*Crash*

Please excuse the automated greeting bot. I usually use it to give rules and stuff, but it's been handled.

Anyway...

Ooh! CS Lewis is my all time favorite author ever! He is pure awesomeness.

Speaking of pure awesomeness, that's my phrase. I made it up and it is trademarked by me. I am also wonderfulness, amazingness, and coolness. I think you notice the theme, and if not, there's something wrong with you.

But yes, that is my job here - to be pure awesomeness and point out who else is awesomeness. So far, those include Snoink, Evi, and wisemann. Ooh! I just thought of who else needs this award.

Excuse the rambling. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time at YWS, because it is absolutly amazing. You'll love it.

I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster