z

Young Writers Society

Hey there.

Reviews: 4
Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am
Ruby-Roo says...

So, hey there.
I'm Ruby, but everyone tends to call me Roo.
I'm new to this forum, and I'm currently struggling with writers block! :evil:

So, um, I have a piece I'm thinking about posting, but it's not very good as I just kinda wrote whatever came to my head and I haven't edited it yet or even read through it myself.

I love writing and I'm also trying poetry out at the moment. I prefer journalism to be honest, I write a column for my school's newspaper, but creative writing is fun, not saying that I'm good at it.

So, I'm a little shy. But I'd like to make friends on here and get some work critiqued.

Thanks
-Roo

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:05 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Ruby! Welcome to YWS! :D

You have writer's block? Ah, now that's an evil demon. My best advice is just to relax and sometimes the ideas just come to you. Hope that helps a bit.

We have a few major rules here on YWS.

1.) There is a 2:1 ratio when it comes to reviewing and submitting your own work. This means that you must review two pieces of work from YWS before posting your own work. I wouldn't worry about this too much, seeing as you already have two reviews. ;) Nice work, by the way.

2.) Please check your posts for capitalization, spelling, and grammatical errors. This will be greatly appreciated by all the other writers on here.

3.) Please do not use all CAPs or chat-speak here. For example: "dat wuz awsome man, kp wrtng." (YWSers will hunt you down if they ever see that posted. ;)) or "THAT WAS AWESOME, KEEP WRITING!" Term abbreviation like lol, POV and MC are ok, just don't over-do it.

I'll let some other Greeters tell you about those other rules.

Since you're going to post your work soon I'll give you the best advice. Don't take reviews too personally, because I know most YWSers enjoy nit-picking work to pieces. Try not to think too much about those harsh reviews.

If you have a question, would like me to review that work you're going to post, or want to chat, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by SeleneForeverDream on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Roo! Mind if I call you that (too)? Welcome to YWS! I'm Kat, nice to meet you ^^

So we have just one more rule!
~ Rate your works. If it contains rough language or adult themes, please rate it R. That way our younger crowd won't be reading what they shouldn't. Also, all works rated will appear on the Home page, except the ones rated R.

Now, I would also like to explain to you our rainbow! We have a beautiful rainbow :D

Blue - Greeters. They welcome the newbies and help them through the beginning (like what I'm doing right now!)

Purple - Instructors. They give the most constructive and detailed reviews and answer questions you might have. Like Mars above, that did a good job by redirecting you to the Rules.

Light Green/ Dark Green - Junior Moderators and Mods. They make sure the others above make their job properly and control the correct use of language and so.

Red - Administrators. They keep the site running smoothly.

Orange - Distinguished members. They're basically retired Mods and Adms.

So, I'll leave the rest to someone else!
Also, don't be shy dear! Don't be afraid to post your work. We don't bite (much). Also, don't take reviews too personally.
That's it!
If you need anything, or want a review or chat, feel free to PM me!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm
MeadowLark says...

Hey there Roo! Awesome name by the way.

Well, the two greeters above me have explained all the rules so I just thought I'd drop by and say welcome to YWS!

Soo, what do you like reading? Whose your favourite author?

Again, welcome to YWS! Don't be shy and like the others said, never take the harsh reviews to heart. They're there to help your writing become better so embrace them with open arms and learn. Learning is (one) your best friend ^_^

Happy Writing

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 pm
Storm_Bringer says...

Heya Roo!!!!!! (love that name!)

Welcome to YWS!!! The totally awesome place for rants and writing...

So, a few things they didn't explaii is the:

Blog!!!

So, here on YWS you can make a blog to meet new friends, rant, and virtually scream at people! So fun. :P So to do this just go to the Blog icon on the top of the page and go to Blog Control Panel. It's pretty self-explanatory from there but... Feel free to PM me if you have a question about it. :D

Chat!!!

We have an awesome chat here so you can go on it if you feel like meeting and talking to new people or private messaging to your friends. It's super fun!!!

One last thing!

Points/Titles/Posts

For every post you make you get points. The most you can get is 50 a post. For every story/poem/etc. post it cost you 150 points, I believe. So here are the titles you can get for the number of posts you have:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

At Novelist you can change your title to what ever you want. This will go under your usename.

So, feel free to PM me about anything. About YWS, questions, reviews, or if you just want to chat! :D

Welcome again,
~Storm
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:14 pm
sofi says...

Hallo there Roo :D

Welcome to YWS! It's lovely to have you here :D

That's great that you like journalism. Is it something that you'd like to do in the future after leaving school maybe?
There's a non-fiction forum where you can post any articles or columns which you have written and people can review those for you too :D

And I'm sure there's a group for journalism, and if not then you can always start one! :D Don't be scared away by all the rules haha they're just here to make sure things run smoothly and this is really one of the best places to improve your writing and meet people with the same interests as you and above all just to enjoy :D

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about anything or if you want a review and I'd be happy to :D

Hopefully I'll see you around!
Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:51 pm
Carlito says...

Hi Roo, welcome to YWS! :D

Everyone's already pretty much said this and who knows, you may have already posted it, but don't be afraid of posting any of your work. Even if you think it sucks, someone else may think it's really good or they'll give you really good advice on how to make it better. Everyone is really, really nice and supportive too.

I think it's cool that you like journalism too.
If you ever want to post some of your articles you can do that. There's a board in the writing forums for all 'random' kinds of writing and you could post it there. :)

So what's your favorite kind of animal? If you could be a marine biologist what kind of animal would you study?
If you could be any kind of shoe, what kind of shoe would you be?

I hope you have a really fun time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson