z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 pm
View Likes
charmed333 says...

Hi! My name is Charmed (well thats what you can call me) I'm new here and i don't really know how to get around. Someone was telling me earlier about the Welcome forum, but I'm not sure how to get there. I'm not even sure where I'm posting this now... as you can see I'm very confused. So yeah i live in the US and i absolutely love writing. I want to by a college LIterature Professor when i grow up. I like to write fiction mostly, and poetry. SO yeah, thats me...
-thanks for your time!

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:38 pm
Storm_Bringer says...

Hello Charmed. Nice name!

Welcome to YWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need help just PM me. :D Or you can search whatever you are looking for in the search box. :D

There are some Rules:

No chatspeak or all capitals.

No swearing and keep your posts clean. (You can swear in stories but make sure to rate it)

Rate your work accordingly to your work.

For every post (Stories, poems, etc.) you must do two reviews. That way more people would want to review your story as well!

That's all for the rules so now for the Colors!

I bet you've seen some members with colored names. Meembers with the colors have jobs. Now I'll explain what they all are.

Black, regular members. Like you and me. :wink:

Blue, Greeters, they greet the newbies and answer questions, etc... (They'll be coming soon!) :)

Purple, Instructors, they give some of the best reviews here on YWS. They really help you on what you need to work on and improves your writing.

Dark Green, Moderators. They make sure everything is in the right place, etc...

Light Green, Junior Moderators. They do the same as Moderators just in a specific forum.

Orange, Distinguished Members. Retired moderators or special members.

Red, Site Admins. They keep YWS up and running.

That's all for the colors! Now for the Groups!

There are many groups. They are groups for everything, for people who enjoy the same things, anything. It is right in the middle of the resources and writing icons at the top. If you want to make a new group then you must get five people to join before you can. Enjoy yourself in these groups! :D

Now the Chat!

Its on the home screen around the bottom left. This tells you if the chat is open and who's on it. You can talk to other members and just chat away. (Note: there are rules so please read them before you enter the chat) You can even do a private chat with a specific person on it! :)

And the Blogs!

You can even create a blog on YWS! It has everything, I know. There is a blog icon on the top of the page and go to blog control panel to set up your very own blog. It is very fun if you enjoy stuff like that! To visit your blog go to the icon and go to My Blog. Have fun with that. :D

Some other tips and tidbits:

If someone signs in your guestbook you should return the favor.

Don't be too mean in reviews! Say nice things too!

When you get a review don't take it too seriously. It's all to help your writing. :wink:

And that's it.

So, some things about you: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Favorite book?

Dream place to live?

What is your favorite animal?

Favorite Genre's to read and write?

Well, please feel free to PM me whenever the need or urge come to mind. I'll be happy to do a review, comment on your work, or just help you adjust. Have a great time!

I'll see ya around in some of the forums.
~Storm :D
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm
deleted_5 says...

good grief. I hope Storm hasn't talked you to sleep! Anyhoo, welcome to YWS!! Storm's already gone over the rules, and asked all the good questions. Darn. Well, welcome anyway. Let me know if you need anything or if you just want to chat! Hope to see ya around!!

Lucy Pennykettle
I hate television. I hate it as much as I hate peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. I also hate being on television, I hate it as much as people hate chocolate. But they always want chocolate.

Random avatar

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:01 am
charmed333 says...

Thanks so much for the rules and your kind words :)
i really like the enviroment of this website
:)
"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
shall be lifted-nevermore!"
-Edgar Alan Poe

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 am
Storm_Bringer says...

No problem, Charmed. Yeah, YWS is awesome!
PM me if you need anything. Thanks for the friend invite.

Lucy-Humph, I am so not boring! *Walks off with head up high*
:D Just kidding!
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~~~
Need a review?
One Stormy Review Coming Right Up!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just some random tips for navigating the site:

~ If you click on the big "Groups" button in the header, you'll get a long list of usergroups you can join for your own enjoyment. They're great places to get writing help, and to make friends with similar interests. ^_^

~ Please don't flood the boards. It's asked you only post one work a day. Seeing a lot of works by the same author, posted on the same day, is a turn off to some people. And when you do post your work, please only post about 1,500 words at a time.

~ If you hover over the "Resources" button in the header, then select the Knowledge Base option, you will find a database full of writing tips, YWS tips, poetry tips, and a bunch more stuff. It's a great place to look if you need help, or have a couple of hours to kill. :P

If you have any questions, PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 am
budding writer says...

hello there
my name's buddy.

welcome to YWS. you're right this site is big and there are so many different forums. since you're new i would suggest that you go to groups icon on the main page and there might be a group which fasinates you and so go ahead and join. you can istantly join some of them but some of them require validation from the person who is running the group so you will have to wait a sometime for that.

there are so many members in this website thats its hard to know each and everyone of them so joining a group is the best way if you're wanting to make new friends. it will also help you get more comfortable with the site.

pm me if you need to ask something

-buddy
## My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations ##

Random avatar

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:03 pm
charmed333 says...

i did actually have one question.....what do you use your points for? whenever i do something it tells me i've earned more..and i have a couple now...but i dont know what to do with them! help?
"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
shall be lifted-nevermore!"
-Edgar Alan Poe

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:07 pm
MagnusBane says...

Hey charmed! Welcome to YWS! I'm sure you'll have a blast here!

As for your question on the whole points thing... You can use points to post your own work on the site. I *believe* that it costs 100 points to post a storybook and 150 to post a story.
Last edited by MagnusBane on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Heya Charmed, welcome to YWS!

Since I see you know the basics, I'll tell you a little bit about the ranks we have on here. You may have noticed that people on here have different ranks under their username. These are earned by however many posts you have made on YWS, not including guestbook and blog entries. Here's what they are:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15-49 posts
Writer: 50-99 posts
Senior Writer: 100-249 posts
Novelist: 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

There are also other ranks you can receive, like Master of the Forum, but I believe you earn that rank on your one-thousandth post. After you have become a Novelist, you have the perk of being able to create a custom title that goes directly under your username.

If you have any questions, would like to chat, or would like a review, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

A bit more detailed info on points:

You get 0.2 points for every letter in a post, maximum 50 points.

You can only get points for posting in the top two clusters of boards, and when you review something.

It costs 150 points to post a new work, but for fiction stories you often get 50 points back. Poetry and art, however, can get you a lot less back.

It costs 100 points to post a new storybook, and you do not get points back.

Points are used to determine the featured member on the Home page of YWS. ^_^

Does that help?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace