z

Young Writers Society

What's really GOOD?!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 am
fatimachan says...

Hey What's Up everyone, I just created an account 2 minutes ago because my best friend Amira15 told me about it! So yeah anyway I'm 16 years old and really love to read and write, though I have never really truly finished a story, I plan on killing that record! I like to write poetry also but it is never as good as I would like! So if anyone replies to this I'll be sure to check out you guys' work!

edit: Thank you for the Great Help and advice WaterVyper!

My favorite and easiest writing style is humor/comedy. My favorite but hard to achieve writing style is something that will have a twist in the end. I love action and martial arts so If I ever write there will probably mentioning of one of the two. In poetry i usually tend to have a settle quiet grimmer voice. Does that make sense?

Favorite genre to read: Action,Adventure,Angst, and those really dark stories. Something with a little mystery is always fun. My favorite series by far right now is the Pendragon Series. Definitely a WHOLE LOT OF TWISTS AND TURNS IN THAT ONE!

Hobbies: love sports, film making is my "passion" haha, I'm currently working on a screenplay which is why I need to up grade on my writing skills. I want to write movies,shows,skits,ect!
Last edited by fatimachan on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:14 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi and welcome, fatimachan! Do you have a nickname that you prefer? Well, I better explain the rules. On YWS, we have a few rules you need to follow. They're really simple, so you don't have anything to worry about.

1. Keep the 2:1 review ratio. That means you should review at least two works before you post your own. That makes sure that everyone gets a review. And as a note, reviews can't be just like Wow, that was good. Write more. The more you can point out in another person's work, the better your own writing will get.

2. Write properly. That is to say, use proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization. It makes your posts easier to understand.

3. Rate your works properly. If you rate your works, they'll show up on the front page for everyone to see. However, if your work has the f-word or graphic scenes in it, you must rate it R. R-rated works don't show up on the front page.

Okay, rules are done. Now, tell us more about yourself. What do you like to write? Whichc genre? What do you like to read? Who do you like to read? What are your other hobbies? What about interests in movies or music? Any other miscellany?

You can feel free to PM me any time for anything you need. I'll be available. So, hope to see you around sometime soon. Bye!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:12 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Heya fatimachan! What's up?
Welcome to the big family of YWS! You'll soon be addicted.
I'm Kat, nice to meet you.
I would like to explain to you our rainbow.

Black - people like us, normal writers with no definite job.

Blue - Greeters. They welcome the newbies and help them through the beginning.

Purple - Instructors. They give the most constructive and detailed reviews and answer questions you might have. Like Mars above, that did a good job by redirecting you to the Rules.

Light Green/ Dark Green - Junior Moderators and Mods. They make sure the others above make their job properly and control the correct use of language and so.

Red - Administrators. They keep the site running smoothly.

Orange - Distinguished members. They're basically retired Mods and Adms.

If you need anything, or just want to chat, feel free to PM me!
See you around :D
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:46 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Hello and welcome to YWS! I'm Colt or Ryan, you can call me either. I'll explain how points work then.

Each members receives points when posting, where you can earn up to 50 points. Some places you don't earn points, such as storybooks, but most places you do. You spend 150 points for each poem or story you post, and 500 for each storybook. It costs 0 points to post in a storybook. The points are reset every two weeks, so don't worry about it sounds a lot for a cost.

Points basically show how active or inactive a member has been reviewing for the past couple weeks, and it also helps stop people breaking the 2:1 ratio because you have to pay points for the story/poems. Try not to post more than two things a week, people are discouraged to rad a ton of things by the same person at the same time, thus less inclined to review.

A review count must have 250 characters (about three lines) to be counted as a review, but can be as long as you like! Instructors and mentors tend to have longer reviews than most. That helps stop chatspeak (oMg dat wuz amzing rite mOre nao!1!1! i one !1!!!1), so those help nobody. After you posted it, you should see a message saying, "Your review count increased by one./You earned XX points for that post." If you don't, it wasn't counted as a review. These review counts determine the number of and color of the stars below your avatar. You get your first star after 5 reviews. You can get gold, red, and blue stars, but the red and blue comes in hundreds somewhere.

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

Additionally, when you hit Novelist, you can get a title under you name and about your avatar. This is bolded, and you can edit it as often as you wish in your profile.
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:58 pm
Bloo says...

To expand on colt you can go higher then Speaker, at I think 1000 you become a master, and there are more after that still.

Also here are somethings you might like to know

Also, I'd like to explain our stars system. The stars system functions by the number of reviews you have. First comes the yellow one,s then red and then blue.

For Yellow Stars:
5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

For Blue Stars:
350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars
650 Reviews = 4 Blue Stars, 1 Yellow Star
750 Reviews = 5 Blue Stars

For Red Stars:
850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1050 Reviews = 3 Red Stars, 2 Blue Stars
1150 Reviews = 4 Red Stars, 1 Blue Star
1250 reviews = 5 Red Stars

And

you can also right in different colors here to do so follow these instructions

put [color=red] put in your text then end with [/ color] and place the [/ and color] together, (I didn't because then my text would have been red.)

and to change the color you take where I put "red" in the beginning, then place the color you want from the "font color" which is right under Bold, italics and underline, (represented by B, i, u)and go to the thing that says default, scroll and there are the options.

when in guest books you can just click on the color, and the beginning and end of the thing I place above will show up for you.

Also you can change the font size, by doing the same thing above but like this

[size=18] put in some text then place [/ size]

And sub the 18 in to change to a different size.

And remember not to abuse this ability.

Now remember do not be afraid to post your works, so long as you have enough reviews and if your short on points, feel free to ask me for some, I have plenty (third richest in points on YWS)
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:11 pm
fatimachan says...

wow wow wow, thank you all for the help! so far YWS seems like a really helpful place for ameture writers to get all the advice and help they need. I'll be sure to tell every writer I know about YWS!

red stars? woow! that seems nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:38 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Yes! I am truly impressed with anyone that has even one blue star! It's very difficult to do a helpful review!
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:14 pm
Bloo says...

Yes, really the only people who have red, or blues are the ones who joined way back when it just started, around in Nov 04. Those people are the real veterans, they know this place back and forth, and Admins are usually those people too.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:06 am
Dreamwalker says...

Hi I'm The.Dreamwalker, and it's a pleasure to meet you :). It seems I have been beaten once again to all these punchlines. It's my second day on the job if you're wondering ;).

But yes, if you need anything, dont hesitate to PM me.

Other then that, pleasant dreams :)

From Dreams to Reality
~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 pm
MagnusBane says...

Hey, and welcome to the site! I see that you like to write humor and comedy. That's one of my favorite genres to read. Pm me when you post some of your work. I'd love to review it.

Anyways, welcome once again! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. See you around the forums!
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hello! Everyone explained everything I see... but I still like to say hi, hehe ;)

Hi! I'm Peanut. Nice to have you on YWS, your new home. (YWS calls to you in the night...)

Anywho, I hope you make yourself nice and comfy here :D . Get settled and, if you need any thing, PM me, or any of the other people here! I bet anyone would be [s]forced[/s] glad to help out a new member!

;)
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala