z

Young Writers Society

New. Le duh.

Reviews: 1
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 am
Izzyfur says...

Hey there!

I'm new, as the title states.

My name is Izzy. Exciting, I know. But try and contain yourself. :)

I do love to write, and mostly write fantasy. Or sci-fi. Or some sort of hybrid. In short, anything that isn't real. Most of my stuff is handwritten, because I'm a little bit in love with the feel of pen on paper.

I lovelove to write in the rain. Even though it makes all the ink run, so you can't really read what you wrote. But still. It's fun.

Uhm. I love field hockey, and running. I'm a total addict.

Well. I guess I don't have to give you my whole life story. :wink:

Hi?
Last edited by Izzyfur on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reviews: 2
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:43 am
stormyoceanfury says...

Well, I don't know all of the rules.
(I'm new too). Surley someone will come in here and explain like they did to me.

Still, you are like, my best buddy, so I had to welcome you.

So now we are both here :)

Exciting, eh?

I didn't know the rain and writing thing you like to do. That's interesting.

Well, hope you enjoy YWS like I do.

*hugs*

~Maddy

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:02 am
chasingcolts21 says...

Ah, Isabella Cullen, 'bout time you arrived. Well, welcome to my second home. I live here. *renames YWS the Cullen House*

Anyways, the rules. Okay. You must review two pieces of writing (or photography) before posting any. This is to keep balance between the amount of reviews and the amount of stuff posted.

Second, don't flood the forum with your work, it discourages people to read it.

And, rate your work. If it contains immature content, rate it accordingly. At least rate it G if nothing really happens at all. You thread it automatically on the first page if you rate it.

Rosey, a friend of mind, will raid this thread soon to welcome you.

I already know you both, no need for questions.
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi Izzy and welcome to YWS! Don't worry, the title will change as you post more on the boards. I'll go into that a bit later. I'll start with the rules. Here on YWS, we have a few rules you need to follow. Most of them are really simple, so I'll explain a few of them. You can find the rest of them here.

1. Keep the 2:1 review ratio. That means you have to review two things before you can post your own. It makes sure that everyone gets a review.

2. Write using proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization. This is a writing website, and we abhor from using chat/net/1337speak. It helps to avoid misunderstandings.

3. Rate your works properly. If you rate your works, they'll show up on thr front page for everyone to see. The exceptions are R-rated works. If your work contains the f-word or graphic scenes, then you must rate it R.

Well, those are the rules. If you follow them, then you'll have no problem here on YWS. And now, I guess I'll go into the ranks. Your title states that you're a New Member. Your title depends on how many posts you make on the site. Here's a short list:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

Additionally, when you become a Novelist, you can make your own Custom Title. It will be bolded and above your avatar.

So, that's all I have to say about those matters. I'll let someone else explain the rest. Tell us more about yourself. What do you like to read? What about favorite authors? What about other hobbies? Well, anything else you want to add?

I gotta go now, but feel free to PM me if you need anything, anything at all. I hope to see you around the site sometime. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:26 am
Izzyfur says...

Aha.
I'll be sure to follow those.

Especially the proper grammar and spelling. I'm a grammar freak. I'm the person who even texts in perfect grammar, cool as that may sound.

But thanks. This cleared everything up for me. I was insanely lost beforehand.
And thanks for the welcome!

And Raven and Sheep, thanks to you two also.

Yup, writing in the rain. I highly recommend it. A lot of people regard it as pointless, because all your work gets washed away. But I find it strangely satisfying. And I have a rain fetish, so I'm sure that contributes to the fascination.

I like to read the same sort of stuff I like. Fantasy, and that sort of thing. I'm a Harry Potter freak, but hate Twilight (Speaking of which, Sheep, that 'Isabella Cullen' comment did NOT slip by me. *glare*). Right now, I'm insanely in love with The DaVinci Code, and Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown. The subject fascinates me.

Other hobbies... I've been getting into photography a lot lately. It's a lot of fun.

98 Reviews

Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:32 am
chasingcolts21 says...

I love to write in the rain too, Isabella *grins* <3

I love Photography, but if you didn't notice yet, I haven't posted any work yet....*hides*

Most people here are Twilight haters. I'd say 90% here hate it. The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons rule! <3
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

Reviews: 2
Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:17 am
stormyoceanfury says...

Light photography??
Your pictures of those are awesome. You should totally post some :)

Dan Brown is a great writer :) He truly knows how to piece things together.

Hmfh. I'm going to try writing in the rain sometime.

Only three characters in Twiligh pwn, Emmett, Rosalie, and Alice.
Everyone else fails. Bella doesn't even have personality -_-
Sorry Sheep, Edward is only good in the movies.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 am
Izzyfur says...

Seriously, Sheepeh? Hooray! I thought I was the only one that did that. You know, for that I'll even let the Isabella slip by. :roll:

Meh. Those were my first attempt at light painting. Maybe I'll post some once I get a bit better at it.

Thank God. Finally, a place not swamped with fangirls. Except for you, Sheep.

And yes. I lovelove Dan Brown. Those books make my life smile.

What's with the whole 'point' thing?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm
niteowl says...

Hi Izzy and welcome to YWS! Since you asked, I'll explain the point thing. Points are given when you do reviews based on its length (up to 50 points). You also spend 150 points for every poem/story you post. That may sound like a lot, but they are reset every two weeks (to either 300 or 500, I'm not positive which.) You also get points for posting in the Welcome forum, Writing Tips, usergroups, and possibly a few other places, but those are the main ones.

Basically, points show how active a member has been in reviewing for the past two weeks. It also stops people from breaking the 2:1 rule since you have to "buy" poems/stories. Just a tip, though: You probably shouldn't be posting much more than your two "free" ones a week anyway. People will be annoyed if they see a ton of poems by the same author and are less inclined to review.

Speaking of reviews, I should also probably explain review counts. A review must have at least 250 characters in order to be counted as a review, which is about three lines. This encourages quality reviews that go beyond "OmG dat wuz grate rite MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!", which aren't terribly helpful. If it counted as a review, you'll see after you submit "Your review count increased by one./You earned XX points for that post." Review counts are used to determine the number and color of stars under your avatar. You'll get your first star after 5 reviews, then it goes up from there. I don't know the scale off the top of my head, but you can probably look it up somewhere.

So...there's a rundown of points and related things. Hope you have fun here at YWS. Since you hate Twilight, you might want to go check out the Twilight haters usergroup.

Now, for my favorite part of greeting...HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt007 :smt004 :smt026 :smt024 :smt016 :smt021 :smt020 :smt027 :smt031 :smt041 :smt059 :smt068 :smt072 :smt064 :smt077 :smt114 :smt084 :smt109 :smt101 :smt083 :smt116 :smt115 :pirate1: :ftw: :smt035
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

98 Reviews

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:10 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Izzyfur wrote:Seriously, Sheepeh? Hooray! I thought I was the only one that did that. You know, for that I'll even let the Isabella slip by. :roll:

Haha, you butter. :P

Thank God. Finally, a place not swamped with fangirls. Except for you, Sheep.

I know, right? :D

Those books make my life smile.

What books? Twilight :oops:

Haha ^^ you know it's true. :D

Anyways, here we obviously don't have quick-quotes quill, so for quotes we use an HTML code. The code is [ quote] and then [ / quote] without the spaces.

98 Reviews

Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

And more on points:

-500 points to start a storybook
-150 points to post a poem or story, except those in the Advanced Critique Forum
-the most points you can earn on each post is fifty
-Don't forget to have over three lines for your review, and the more detailed, the better.

To learn how to review well, I suggest looking for June (springrain) or Rosey Unicorn, they critique well, maybe even look at mine.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:48 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Hi Izzy! Mind if I call you that? Welcome to the big Ol'YWS! You'll soon be addicted
I'm Kat, nice to meet you ^^
Writing in the rain? That seems interesting... and utterly inspiring.
So, I would like to explain to you, our rainbow.

Blue - Greeters. They welcome the newbies and help them through the beginning.

Purple - Instructors. They give the most constructive and detailed reviews and answer questions you might have. Like Mars above, that did a good job by redirecting you to the Rules.

Light Green/ Dark Green - Junior Moderators and Mods. They make sure the others above make their job properly and control the correct use of language and so.

Red - Administrators. They keep the site running smoothly.

Orange - Distinguished members. They're basically retired Mods and Adms.

See you around and if you need anything, feel free to PM me!
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:35 am
Izzyfur says...

Thanks for explaining the points, niteowl. That makes a lot more sense to me now. It was saying I was getting points, and I was just like, "...Eh?" But now it all makes sense.

User groups? I've been meaning to take a peek at that tab. And I'd love a group of Twilight haters. *snickers evilly*

And. That was the best gift I've ever gotten. Bahaha. I'm a fan of the dancing pink elephant. *nods*

Thanks, Sheepeh. Now I can quote like a crazy person.

What books? Twilight

Haha ^^ you know it's true.

No. *kills*

*unkills* Thanks for the point stuff. Bahaha.

Hello, Kat. Nice to meet you as well! Of course you can call me Izzy. That IS my name. Haha.

Inspiring! There's the word I was looking for. Yes. Writing in the rain is inspiring.

Ooh. Fancy rainbow things. All right. That all makes sense. You're a greeter, then?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:26 am
Bloo says...

Hi Izzy, I'm Ryan but call me Bolt.

Well looks like they have everything covered already, nothing for Bolt to do but say hi/

I see you hate twilight though, I like that in a person, considering I did create the Anti Twilight group on this site, if your level is that high you should join, we could use some new blood in there.

So what books do you like?
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:27 am
Izzyfur says...

Hi, Bolt. Thanks for the welcome!

Baha. Perhaps I shall check that out.

I mainly like to read fantasy or scifi, but I'll really read anything you shove under my nose. I like Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, Da Vinci Code...Just to name a few.

And I have some more questions.

If you're posting pictures, do you need to pay points for each individual picture, or just once for the whole post?

And if you reviewed two pictures, may you post a story? Or does it have to be a picture?

These are probably stupid questions. But I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Why is my dog your fig father????
— JazzElectrobass