z

Young Writers Society

Heya ;3

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm
SingWithAbandon says...

Heya, I'm SingWithAbandon, often known as Sing since some people are too lazy to type out that mouthful. :)

I love to read and write, but I also enjoy reviewing other people's work. :3 (I like sporking published authors too, I am ashamed to admit.)

If you want to know anything else, talk to me. :D

PS. To be honest, I'm not sure how active I will be on YWS. The site is a bit wonky for me, and sometimes loads ridiculously slow. Took me 2 minutes to scroll down a page. >.<;; I'll do my best though. \(^_^\)

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:12 pm
Shauni says...

Hello there, new friend! Welcome to the ol' YWS! The land of crazy writers and noble people! :P

I hate when the internet gets slow...yuck...It pisses my off so I know what you feel...
I also noticed that you are from China, how cool1 I want to go there. I love in Europe so it's a bit far.

Oh well, moving on. You need to know the baics: You don't wanna people to rip your head off, don't you? JUst kidding...:D We are all very nice!

~Keep a 2:1 ratio, please. What's this? You are probably thinking... Well a 2:1 ratio means that for every post you make(your work) you need to make at least two reviews. It's very easy to matein and helps to make every work reviewed.

~ No chat speak or capitalized sentence/words. We are all writers here friend, and we get very pleased to see that everyone keeps the rules Very Happy! And NOBODY LIKES TO READ STUFF LIKE THAT or stff lk ths th i'm wrtng. Gt it? Wink
~ Rate your works. Rated works will appear on the YWS front page. See!! If you rate your works they will appear right there, so, everyone that comes in, see it! Surprised Rated works aren't the ones with R! In fact, those are rated too but they have sexual content or/and f-words!

~ The last one!
Get active here! Log on to the community forums and start to post. Make friends, have fun, learn and teach! YWS is enormous so "play with it" as much as possible. :P Please! Have the greatest time possible here! We are all here for that. Learn, teach and have fun!

So, that it.

Feel free to PM if you need something, have a question or just wanna chat.

P.S If you ant to know something, you can talk to me as well. ;)

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 pm
SingWithAbandon says...

Thanks for the welcome and the basics/overview/information thingy Shauni ^___^.

Haha, that's funny. I've always wanted to go the Europe. Specifically Mediterranean countries (And I have a nagging feeling i spelled that wrong.). I do love it here in China though, and you should come visit :3 It's an amazing place in many ways.

I've just noticed that there are a lot of threads which are all but dead. Would it be alright to revive them?

(n.n'' It's a bit intimidating to see most topics have been posted in and beaten to death already. I'm afraid anything I say would be just a replay of something said earlier.)
GilgameshTime (00:41:19): yeh I don't know how to write
GilgameshTime (00:41:22): I just vomit
GilgameshTime (00:41:24): w/ my fingers

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:57 pm
StellaThomas says...

Don't bump too many old threads, since it might get annoying... anyway, hi Sing, welsome to YWS! I think we just met in the Name Association thread, but anyway, people round here call my Stella!

Okay, Shauni's taken you through the main rules- stick to those and you'll be grand! Just some pointers:

-The Groups button at the top will take you to the Group Index. Usergroups are for people with similar interests, so you can join one and chat to your heart's content.
- There is a buddy system round here to help new members like yourself find their way around. topic20053.html if you're interested. You can get assigned a mentor from some of the more experienced members on the site and your mentor will answer any questions and help you in whatever you need.
- A review only gets added to your review count if it's a decent length- I think it's 250 characters or something, which isn't really very much at all. But pretty much, don't say "That was really good write more bye" because it doesn't help the person and it doesn't help you.

Also the colours: as you can see, I'm purple and Shauni is blue...

Blue= Greeters. They're the helpful people who look after newbies and give you a run-down of the site- if you need anything, they'll be happy to help, just give them a shout.

Purple= Instructors. We give good, helpful reviews- if you need something reviewed or would like some help improving your writing, grammar issues etc. we Instructors are the people to call!

Light Green= Junior Mods. The Junior Mods control one part of the forum, where they keep things in order and make sure everybody behaves themselves.

Dark Green= Mods. The Mods make up Big Brother, the omniscient presence on the forums that'll make sure that everyone adheres to the rules and that everybody's getting along.

Orange= Distinguished Members. DMs are those who have retired from moderating.

Red= Admins. The top geezers. Like Nate. They watch over and control everything.

Tell us a bit more about yourself- what do you like to read and write? Other hobbies? Is English or Chinese your first language?

So, hope that I've helped, and if you need anything at all, feel free to drop me a note (the PM button is at the bottom of posts!)

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:44 pm
SingWithAbandon says...

Thanks Stella :]

In general I'd read almost anything (prose and poetry), although I'm a bit iffy about science-fiction. My brain overloads everynow and then when it gets too complicated. I'm not too fond of overly dark poetry either. Or anything without a happy ending n.n''

I've written realistic fiction and fantasy before, except the fantasy is based in a more Asian culturally centered world. I've done fanfiction (mostly parodies), dabbled in original fiction, and recently I was in a text-based RPG based off the anime Bleach.

Oh dear...as for languages. My first language was Mandarin until I was old enough for school, then my English sort of took over so now I'm less fluent in Mandarin than English. I can barely write Chinese, although I speak it and read it reasonably well.

I love to sing :) hence the username, and I've always been attracted more to the arts than the usual "Asian" stereotypical academics. I love to talk, which leads to the fact that I also love to rant. And ramble. And just go on and on about subjects noone cares about, haha.

And I love to laugh. :)
GilgameshTime (00:41:19): yeh I don't know how to write
GilgameshTime (00:41:22): I just vomit
GilgameshTime (00:41:24): w/ my fingers

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:24 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just to let you know, the line-length of a review is about three lines long.

If you look just above the typing screen when posting, in the top right corner, you'll see this wonderful little button called "Check Spelling." ^_^ Wonderful for those words you're unsure of.

One place where you can get a ton of writing help is in the Knowledge Base. Hover over "Resources" in the header, and click on the Knowledge Base option. You'll find more help then you bargained for!

Fantasy is my preferred genre when it comes to writing. My current work is based-off Mughul India, so you could say I like Asian cultures. :lol: It gives such a different worldview, and it creates so many options for plot, I just keep using Asian cultures. That world based off Mughul India actually has a China equivalent in it, and I keep using that world for more stories. So many tales to tell! :D

You will find ramblers a plenty here, me being one of them. :P I think it comes with being a writer.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm
Meep(: says...

SingWithAbandon wrote:Oh dear...as for languages. My first language was Mandarin until I was old enough for school, then my English sort of took over so now I'm less fluent in Mandarin than English. I can barely write Chinese, although I speak it and read it reasonably well.

I love to sing :) hence the username, and I've always been attracted more to the arts than the usual "Asian" stereotypical academics. I love to talk, which leads to the fact that I also love to rant. And ramble. And just go on and on about subjects noone cares about, haha.

And I love to laugh. :)

Hey Sing!
I'm chinese too! 'Cept I'm Singaporean (South East Asia).
Better in english than mandarin? How do you survive in China then? O_o
I'm also more attracted to the arts then maths and science subjects :D
Cool!

Anyway, Welcome to our ever-expanding YWS family.
Great to have you here! :D

~Have a nice day!
Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm
MagnusBane says...

Hey Sing! Welcome to the site!

You like to sing? I do too! Unfortunately, I have no singing talent whatsoever, so I never do. (The neighbors prefer it that way, trust me.)

Fantasy is my favorite genre to read and write. There's just so many possibilities! And I love to imagine worlds with magic, unicorns, and elves! Urban fantasy is probably my favorite type.

Anyways, welcome once again! Can't wait to see you around the site!

~ MB13
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:25 pm
Carlito says...

Hi! Welcome to YWS! :D

First of all I would like to point out that your icon is gorgeous. I love, love, love it :)
Second, I think it's really cool that your from China! I don't think I've met anyone on this site yet that is.

I used to be a singer, but then I started playing trombone :D

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:50 pm
bubblegum says...

Hello Sing ^^
WElcome to YWS.. So you have a problem with the internet?
That is very annoying sometimes, or all the time, really!
Well, I look forward to see you around here. Nice to meet you, Sing.

Btw, I have a strange question for you (If you like chocolate ice-cream, though!):
Do you like chocolate ice-cream with or without chocolatebites?

~ Bubblegum
May all your dreams come true.. (even the ones they laughed at).

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:23 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey Sing, I'm Vivi. Welcome to YWS!
So you like to sing? I remember wanting to be a published author/popstay when I was six. But then I realized that I'm always off tune :D.
(I like sporking published authors too, I am ashamed to admit.)

Don't worry, a lot of people here are the same(guilty.)
:arrow: Go over to the 'Resources' menu up at the top for a bunch of Articles and Websites.
:arrow: On the front page at the left there's a little 'Chat Room' box. Click on it and you can chat with a bunch of other YWS members.
Stars under avatars keep track of how many Reviews you have done.
The Yellow:
5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

The Blue:
350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars

The Red:
850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
And it goes on, and on, and on!

Titles are the words under your user name. Here are some of the first titles:
New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15-49 posts
Writer: 50-99 posts
Senior Writer: 100-249 posts
Novelist(where you start getting those awesome custom titles): 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
And there are even more!

PM me if you have any more questions!
--Vivi
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild