z

Young Writers Society

Hello there!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:46 am
Lady_Ariani says...

Hello everyone, My name is Ariani and I've just signed up here :) I found myself browsing through my 'Books' bookmarks in my web browser (it is rather vast!) and found this site, it must have been sitting there waiting for attention for quite a while! But now I'm here.

I reside in Melbourne, Australia, but am very shortly taking my leave and traveling to the United Kingdom to work for a couple of years. Hopefully this move will help my inspiration as well as my bookshop work experience!

Well, I look forward to reading other peoples works as well as posting some of my own. I have a habit of not finishing what I've started, so perhaps this site will help me in some way *grins*

Ariani

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hey, welcome to YWS. Here are a few of the main rules.

1. We have a 2:1 ratio. Meaning, you must review two works before posting your own. A review is three lines long, or else it's not counted. I find if you review more of other peoples work, they are more willing to review yours.

2. Rate your work. If something has graphic scenes or the f-word, please rate it R. If your work isn't rated R, it will be posted on the front page of YWS.

3. Limit chat-speak. We like to see proper grammar and spelling on YWS. :)

I have a hard time finishing what I've started as well, I find myself re-starting stories or just starting a totally new one all the time.

So, what genre do you write? What genre do you read? What kind of music do you like?

Have fun on YWS!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:49 am
Lady_Ariani says...

Aaah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that habit then! I currently have about three different stories on the burner at the moment.
I am most comfortable with writing Young Adult fiction, but recently I have tried my hand at Fantasy and for last years NaNoWriMo I began my first attempt at Science Fiction, which was actually quite harder than I imagined! I'd love to develop that skill more, though.

I read a wide variety of genres, Young Adult being my favourite, followed closely by Fantasy, Science Fiction and Strange Literature (I created my own genre there). I've worked in bookstores for about six years now, so I've had the wonderful opportunity of being exposed to many different writings.

My music tastes are of the Japanese variety - Pop, Rock and Indie mainly. I do still listen to some English music such as System of a Down, Coldplay, Paramore and a few artists that have hung on to me since I was younger *grins*

Thank you for your welcome, I look forward to having a lot of fun on here!!
Ariani
"Sleep, and I'll meet you on the Dreamside."

Reviews: 3
Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 am
ShareYourSmile says...

Hey Ariana! I'm a newbie like you...this is my second day, but I'm already liking this place more than any other writing site I've visited. Everyone seems really friendly and the writing forums are legit haha. If you want to chat or anything feel free to PM me! Us newbs gotta stick together :wink:

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:43 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hi! Nice for you to join YWS!

Have you seen the Groups icon at the top of the page? Well, you may look through and join any group you want. Personally, I would suggest joining the Debate, Novelist, and Character Development groups! I love them.

So, anyway, welcome! I'm going to leave before I start blabbering on and on and on and on and on...

kind of like now. :oops:
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:08 am
lilymoore says...

Hello and Welcome. I saw, read, and reviewed your piece Crystalline and I thought I would stop in and see what else there was to learn about you.

Also, its great to see new members appreciating the 2:1 rule. Thanks.

And if you have any questions, ask. I'll try and help.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:22 pm
jok101 says...

Welcome to yws have a pink thing :elephant: or two :elephant: :elephant: or three :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:
I should stop myself now.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Heyy and welcome to YWS! Glad to see we're getting more new and talented members!
Some of the YWS members have different colored usernames...Like,

~Black - They're normal members.

~Blue - They're greeters like me and Colleen. Our job is to make newbies feel welcome and help them get used to the site.

~Purple - They're instructors, and their job is to give in-depth critiques.

~Light and dark green - They're mods and keep the forums running smoothly.

~Red - They're administrators, and take care of the site in general.

~Orange - They're retired mods or administrators, and they are known as distinguished members.

^_^ I think that's all of the colors that you'll see floating around...

Haha, and don't worry about being unable to finish stories! For the last month or so, I've been trying to write a short about my best friend. But, after I write a few sentences I always thought of a new plot, and the entire story changed....My last short about her became a horror story...XD

You do NaNoWriMo!? Awesome!! I've never been able to think of an idea that I really want to continue as a novel. XD

Paramore and Coldplay are just the best bands ever! Yay, finally someone that shares my taste in bands! What kind of Indie music do you like? Do you like Taylor Swift?

I wish I lived in Australia! What's it like there?

Oh, and do you write poetry by any chance? Haha, sci-fi is way too hard for me! I've been writing poetry and lately I've been dabbling in horror..

Anywayz, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, need a review, or just want to talk!

fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Welcome to YWS, Ariani! What a beautiful name! IS it your real name or just what you like using?
My name is Catarina, but I hate it, so I use Kat ^^
It seems the rules have been explained to you, so I'll just rant around :D
Australia! I would like to go there. My parents sometime ago, wanted to move to Australia. I live in Portugal.
And the United Kingdom! It's like my second home ^^
You've entered NaNo? I haven't entered yet. I'm a bit afraid. It's much words to write, and I always need inspiration. I have like five stories in about sixty pages to finish. I just can't seem to bring a good end!
Rant is over. Sorry about that...

Well, see you around! If you need anything just PM me!

*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:05 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

If you're looking to get better at any genre, I would highly suggest looking at the Knowledge Base. Hover your mouse over Resources in the header, and click on the Knowledge Base option from the drop-down menu. I'm pretty sure you'll find something on sci-fi, and more then you bargained for! If you don't find what you're looking for, then post in Writing Tips and you'll get help. ^_^

Fantasy is my genre of choice. I just love being able to come up with new worlds. :D If you have any questions about fantasy, ask me and I'll come running! My inbox is always open. ^_^ (I am also an Instructor, even though I only show it sometimes. Feel free to bug me!)

YWS gives you a lot of motivation when it comes to finishing works. We have been known to bug authors if they don't finish stories. ;)

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates