z

Young Writers Society

Hey there!

Reviews: 3
Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:39 am
View Likes
ShareYourSmile says...

Hey everything, I just signed up to this site today. Usually I don't get into places like this, but YWS seems like a cool place. I love writing as well and want to be an author one day, so constructive criticism is just what I need : )

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 am
anti-pop says...

Hey, Smile! :D

Welcome to YWS! This is an amazing place to get good, constructive criticism as well as tips and support to help you improve your writing abilities.

~~Before you can submit any of your work, you have to review at least two other stories/poems/etc.. This is so everyone gets help/comments on their work, and no one gets left out!

~~Another big rule: No chatspeak!
Example of what is not tolerated here at YWS: OMG i LieK lOvE diS bO0K!!1!!11!!

~~Be sure to rate your work. If it's PG-13 or below, your work will show up on the front page (which can mean more views/critiques). If it's R (containing strong language and/or graphic violence), please rate it accordingly so that the younger members on the site aren't exposed to it.

~~Also, please don't post more than one literary work a day. Flooding the boards with your stuff often discourages other members from reading it.

~~When reviewing someone's work, try to be constructive as well as complimentary. We don't like: OMG!!!!!! That was soooooo good!!! Write more!!!!!
This doesn't benefit the author at all - or you. Over time, your reviewing skills will improve just as your writing.

~~You'll see lots of colored names floating around. Here's a brief legend:

*Black: Normal users - It's up to you guys to help the site keep going. All you have to do is read, review, and have fun!

*Blue: Greeters - They welcome new members and answer any questions you may have; they're extremely friendly and nice, so don't be shy if you need any help!

*Purple: Instructors - We give out great reviews and love to help you in any way possible when it comes to writing.

*Light Green: Junior Moderators - These users watch over specific literary forums like Romantic Fiction or Dramatic Poetry.

*Dark Green: Moderators - The bosses around here on YWS. If you're having any problems with the site, drop them a PM.

*Red: Site Admins - Rulers of YWS. A.K.A., the coolest people ever.

*Orange: Retired Moderators - Just that. Mods who've left the field honorably.

There's a lot of other neat little things around this site, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me via PM or guestbook entry.

See you around YWS, and happy writing!
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:17 am
chasingcolts21 says...

Nice greet, anti-pop, trying to scare her away? :D

Anyways, I'm Colt, feel free to PM me if you need anything. :P

What's your favorite genre to write?

What is your favorite book?

What's your favorite movie?

What kind of music do you listen to?
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:47 am
WaterVyper says...

Heya Smile! Welcome to YWS! Everyone needs constructive criticism at one point or another. It's just natural. Anyway, since anti-pop has already explained rules and colors, there isn't much else to say.

Now, why don't you introduce yourself a bit more? Adding to the questions Ryan mentioned, what are your hobbies? What do you want to accomplish later in life? What about what you want to accomplish here on YWS?

So, I hope to see you around sometime soon. Feel free to PM me if there's anything you need. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Smile! Welcome to YWS! :D

Since it seems a lot has been covered, I will tell you about the groups we have here on YWS. When you go click on the big Groups button at the top of the page, there are many groups that you may join. We have every kind of group imaginable, from random ones like Matt's Happy Place to the Debate Group. Based off of your interests, you can choose which ones you want to join.

If you have a question, would like me to review your work, or just want to talk, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:25 pm
Imperatrix Xoco says...

Hiya, Smee! (Which is a weird nickname I just derived from your username. xP D'you mind if I call you Smee?)

I'm not much of a weathered user m'self; I think this is only my second or third day here. But I wanted to pop in and give a hearty hello to a fellow newb. *high fives*

So, Colts mentioned a lot of stuff, but tell us a bit more about yourself. What do you like doing outside of writing? What sorts of things do you like to write? *glances back at question* Well... That was vague and poorly worded. Um. I mean, do you write prose? poetry? script?

Good to meetcha anyhow, Smee. Hope to see you around the site!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

I would like to direct your attention to the Resources button in the header. Scroll over that and click on the Knowledge Base option. There you will find over 100 articles on writing, YWS, poetry and a mics. section filled with everything else. It's a great place to go if you need help, or just have a couple hours to kill! :lol:

YWS is an absolutely amazing community. Post around, ask questions, answer the ones posted above and just get involved. You'll feel right at home in no-time flat! That's what happened with me, anyways. And now I can't imagine life without YWS!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I am both blue and purple, so you can ask anything. ^_^

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 am
View Likes
ShareYourSmile says...

Thanks everyone for responding, you're making me feel very welcomed! :D

What's your favorite genre to write? I love writing fiction short stories and novels. Romance and historical fictions are my favorite, although I love trying all types of genres. I'll write poetry only when I feel inspired although I love poetry.

What is your favorite book? Hmm my favorite book, that's a tough one haha. I love some of the classics, like Little Women, but I also enjoy reading things like Twilight and Harry Potter. I also love The Shack by William Young. Very good book : ) I love ready books by Lori Wick as well

What's your favorite movie? I don't think I could pick just one!

What kind of music do you listen to? I love country music. I live in the city but I'm a country girl at heart.

A little more about myself: I love to play sports. I play basketball competatively and am about to sign with a college to play at the next level. I used to dance and still love to, and I love to ride equestrian, which is jumping horses. lol I like to do a lot of different things.
I'd love to be a published writer and I hope that this site can help me with my writing.

Sure Selene you can call me Smee! That nickname reminds me of the movie Hook with Robin Williams. Captain Hook's sidekick guy is named Smee haha

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 pm
jok101 says...

Making you feel welcome that's the greeters job *gives greeters cookies * Welcome to YWS were people that want to write come to um well rant but also write join some groups and I'm not gonna act like your stupid and tell you the rules again just don't use chat speak it's annoying and the moderator will crucify you. Apart from that were all very welcoming
on a random note check out the storybooks.

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Heya Share Your Smile! That name makes me smile :D
I seems everyone has explained everything to you!
Oh my, Harry Potter and Twilight? I love both! Not in an obsessive kind of loving...
Anyway, so have you heard of the big fight? Harry Potter or Twilight? For who would you stand by, if asked? Just curiosity
Well, hope you feel welcome, that's the greeters job! I'm aspiring to be Greeter, so I'm here too.
Sports, hum? I have friends that do equestrian (riding horses). They say it's pretty fun. For me, I prefer swimming and tennis.

See you around! If you need anything just PM me!

*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 am
ShareYourSmile says...

haha i'd stand by Harry Potter..when I was younger I was like obsessed with the series. I analyzed every book and read them all over and over again lol I can't wait for the sixth movie to come out this summer!

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

Indeed I can't wait! I have a friend that loves the Harry Potter series, and she read them in secret because it's against her religion and her mother wouldn't let her. So, when the movie comes out, I'll be taking her to the cinema to see it :D
I would advise you to go to the Groups (click on the big button on the top of the page that says 'Groups') and scroll down. there's a group that discusses everything Harry Potter related. it's called "Hogwarts Express". You'll find good discussions there!

*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
— John Milton (Poet)