z

Young Writers Society

Yay! I've been born into the YWS world!

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:31 pm
XYZinnia says...

Hi everybody! My name’s XYZinnia, but you can just call me Y. I’ve been floating around YWS for a little while, so I know some of the rules, but not all.
I love writing, (surprise, surprise) and I really like Historical Fiction and mysteries. Anyway, I look forward to meeting all of you! Happy posting! :D
-Y

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:38 pm
Windy Silvermist says...

Hi Y!!!! I would go over the rules but they never stick so I'll just welcome! Anyway Thats cool we have the same b day we could be twins!!!! You'll like it here. I wonder whos going to get here first Rosey, Meep, Spring, Meadowlark, or somebody I don't know. Welcome and I'll see you around.

-Windy
“The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.”

"You must ask for God's help. ... After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again."
-C.S. Lewis

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm
peanutgallery007 says...

H! I'm peanut! Ooh, mysteries! I love mysteries. Especially if they are funny :D !

Well, since you only know some of the rules, I will go over the main ones anyway.

1. No chat speak. There are some exceptions, but I don't know exactly, so I would just steer clear. Also... don't go into CAPS.

2. Rate your writing. If it has language, rate it depending on how heavy those are in your story... PG-13 or R... also, keep the cussing to your writing. Don't post messages with cussing, only writing pieces.

3. Here, we have a 2:1 ratio. Every time you post a writing piece, you have to review two of other peoples pieces! That way, everyone gets reviewed fairly and your points stay up!

Well, that's all I can think of. I hope you feel at home here at YWS! I practically live on here...
anyway, PM me if you need a review, have any questions, or just want to talk. Bye!

:D
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Hey y. I'm White Tiger. I'm some what new too. I'm really enjoying it here so far and everyone is so incredibly nice. I'd love to hear some of your writing, so whenever you post something just tell me and I'd love to review it. I hope you enjoy just as much as I do!

Good Luck!

~WhiteTiger

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:08 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Y, welcome to YWS! Call me Stella, and ha! I got here before Rosey, Meep, June and MeadowLark!

Okay, if you noticed, my name is purple, that's because I'm an instructor: that means I'll help you improve your writing to the best of your ability- just PM me if you want my help. The Greeters (blue) are here to help you find your way around, the Junior Mods (light green) look after certain parts of the forum, while the dark green are the mods that make up Big Brother and keep us all in order, the oranges are people that retired from modding, and the reds are admins who watch over us all. Nate is YWS god.

So you like historical fiction, eh? What are your favourite eras? And your favourite authors/books? Where are you from? Other hobbies?

Yes, I'm curious :D

Me, you'll find me hanging about the fiction forums and Storybooks (they're fun, check them out). Also, click on that group button at the top to get to the group index where you'll find people who have the same interests as you...

So, hope to see you around, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:10 pm
Juniper says...

*flies in*

Heelloooo there, XYZinnia! I'm June, or Spring, or Rain. Or, some person calls me Grain. So, whatever you choose to call me is fine, but I like June best :).

So! Welcome to YWS! Since you've been floating around and know the rules, and Peanut has already briefed you on them, I guess there's not too much explaining for me to do. :)

You write historical fiction? That's fantastic! I absolutely love reading it; I don't write it because I tend to scramble dates and events and make a mess of it all. But, the Historical Fiction section here on YWS doesn't seem to have enough stories in it. :( It needs more! So, I'm more than glad to have you here :D.

But yes, as Peanut has said, No chatspeak, the 2:1 policy, and rating works are a must to know. It also helps to know the color legend here on YWS.

"Once upon a time in the far, far away lands of YWS, a king and his kingd--"

:P Oops. I mean. Colors. Right?

Red = Admins; There are currently three Admins on YWS. They are the creator of YWS, and two junior admins. Together, the three of them take care of the underworld of YWS, making sure the foundations are steady and the gears can turn smoothly.

Dark Green = Moderators; While the Admins are busy underground, someone has to keep their eye on the main level! The moderators are like the police; they keep everything under control here. If you ever have a problem, or see something wrong, report to them!

Light green = junior moderators. Mods are so busy taking care of the vast, vast,vast lands of YWS, that we have junior moderators who focus on certain areas of the site. Junior Moderators are moderators, so if you have a problem, you can report to them as well.

Orange = Distinguished members. These people have served YWS well for a long, long time. Time came for them to retire from moderator-dome and take a rest. Otherwise, they might have... we won't go there. ;)

Purple = Instructors. I'm sure you know that one of the main parts of YWS is reviewing. :D Instructors love reviewing and critiquing literature. They're also known to be grammar freaks, or something like that, and obsess over the little parts of punctuation and stuff.

But, you're welcome to bug us for reviews anytime. ;)

Blue = greeter. These people welcome new comers to the website. It seems like, "hey, how hard can that be?"

It's hard! Try smiling sincerely and repeating rules every day for a long, long time. :) But, they love their job. :D

- - * --
A review must be 250 characters to count as a review :D.

And! We have a star system that indicates the amount of reviews you have completed:

Yellow/Gold

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

There's also the points system: You need 150 points to post a new story, but you get up to (depending on the length of your piece) 50 points back. Therefore, you're only losing 100 points, but you need the 50 extra.

And! Points also determine the next featured member. The person with the most points, and has outstanding performance in the welcome/literary forums is chosen as the featured member. :D

So! Any questions? Comments? Anything? :D

Welcome to YWS! If you need help, send me a PM and I'll be more than glad to help.

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just to add a bit more to the rating of works! If you rate your works, and it's not rated R, they will show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ^_^ Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

It's hard! Try smiling sincerely and repeating rules every day for a long, long time. :) But, they love their job. :D

And, some blues still keep up their jobs! Like me. I'm blue under my purple name, so feel free to bug me for anything!

PM button is at the bottom of this post. Feel free to use it. ^_^

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:04 pm
XYZinnia says...

Yay, people replied! :D

Windy: Nice to meet you! That’s so cool how we have the same birthday! You’re my new virtual twin! :D (I’ve always wanted a twin!)

Peanut: HIH! Thank you for the post! I like my mystery funny, too. Ok 2:1 ratio, got it. And no yelling. See you soon! :)

White Tiger: Hello fellow newbie! I have to warn you, I’m not very good at writing; I just like it a lot. :wink: Feel free to look at my portfolio, anyway. Have a good time at YWS!

Stella: Ha, Congratulations on being first! Ok, so as for rules: Greeters are blue, Instructors are purple, Junior mods are light green, Mods are dark green, Admins are red, and I shouldn’t insult Nate.
I really like all history, so I don’t suppose I have a favorite era. I was born in Indiana, if that’s what you mean. If that’s not what you meant, I’m Italian/German. Hobbies, hmm. I like sports (just finished my basketball season), acting, and writing (but you knew that). There are way to many good books to pick from! I like the classics a lot. Which brings me to a question for you, is that Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz on your profile picture? I love that book. :smt054 Any way, see you around!

June: Hello! Nice to meet you! Yay, I’m glad you’re glad I’m here. *grins* Aw, I’m sure your not that bad at Historical Fiction. Researching every thing does get tiresome, but it’s kind of fun to learn about history while your doing it. Wow, according to your chart, you’ve done over 450 reviews! :shock: You’ve probably spent a sixth of your life writing reviews. Thanks for replying! (P.S. I like June the best too. :) )

Rosey Unicorn: Wow, you’re the featured member, I’m honored. So you can still go back and be a greeter even though you’re an Instructor? Anyway, nice to meet you and hope to see you around! :D

Everyone: Thank you for replying and telling me the rules! Don’t worry, I never use text talk. It annoys me. Also, you can also call me Zinnia instead of Y, whichever you like better. Anyway, I hope to see you all soon! :D -Y (or Zinnia)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 am
Rosendorn says...

xD June is one of the few members, period, who can crank out over fifty reviews a day when she's motivated. She's gotten that large number over a rather short period of time.

Yes, I can still go back to greeting. Like I have just done now. I changed back to being blue just this afternoon. ^_^

And the whole featured member thing is by points. I was at the top of the Member Points list when they reset the count last time, so I got made Featured Member. If I don't catch up, though, June will take over that position. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat