z

Young Writers Society

Salvete, omnia!

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:42 am
Imperatrix Xoco says...

So, here I am after following a link on a site I'm sure many of you have either heard of or frequent, Script Frenzy. The uber long version of my interwebz name is Imperatrix Xoco, though please feel free to abbreviate it to whatever you want. Imp, Xoco, Hey You, whatever floats your boat. :3

I'm obviously a writer, mostly dabbling in fiction and, most recently, scripts (specifically graphic novel scripts). The things I like writing are pretty much all over the board. If I've got an idea for something, I'll try my best to write it. I'm a two time NaNo participant and winner. '07 being my first year. You can find me there also under Imperatrix Xoco, with a nifty embedded link leading to my profile. Whoo. : D And here’s the Script Frenzy profile, also under Imperatrix Xoco (are you starting to see a pattern with the username and avatar? ;D).

Some of my hobbies outside of writing include playing video games (I've got a Wii, DS Lite, PS2, and '64, and I'm pretty sure I play them more than is healthy), reading, singing, acting, reading comic books (<3), and going on walks with my two little doggies.

For the curious: My favorite authors include and are not at all limited to (really, it's not possible for me to stop only at a few...) Terry Pratchett (a bajillion hearts for this guy. For serious, he's amazing.), Neil Gaiman (*drools*), Jim Butcher, Jane Austen, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and Alan Moore. I particularly enjoy books, and comics books, like: Watchmen, The Sandman, American Gods, A Separate Peace, and The Lord of the Rings series. Those are not all my favorites, because we'd be sitting here, you reading and me typing, far too long.

I also happen to despise the following: Anything related to Mamma Mia! in any way, shape, or form. I just can't stomach that musical. The songs make me feel all icky inside, though I do think that the story itself is pretty cute, if poorly executed. Twilight... We won't go into that. ;) I think a lot of you know the reason already. There's also Eragon, bridges, the fingerprints you leave behind on tape, and pens that only halfway work. If you're going to die, then just die already! Don't keep giving me false hope. D:

Oh, and I'm currently in Latin 1, proceeding onto Latin 2 come fall. Any other Latin students around here? :3

Well, there's me in a nutshell. I hope eventually I'll have stuff to put up. See ya'll around the site!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:56 am
Emerson says...

Ooo a twilight-hater. *cuddles* You're on the right side, kid.

Anyhoo. Welcome to the YWS! Or you can call it Yewis. Glad to see someone from Screnzy move over. ;-) I'm not a participant, but I do NaNoWriMo. If you have any questions about the site, feel free to bug me. You can also bug people in Green - they're the moderators.

You sound like a very exciting person. ^_^ I hope to get to know you! Enjoy the site, and all that.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:06 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Hi! I'm Peanut. Call me what you want to though!

Uh... I personally don't mind Twilight, though a lot of people around here seem to dis-like it.

I can't relate to you on the Screnzy... I can't write a script for my life! But! I do write fiction! Do you like poetry? (sorry if you said that already... I am forgetful!) :oops:

PM me whenever! I like talking... I used to be shy around here, but I've warmed up, so I enjoy PM' ing my heart out! <3
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

5 Reviews

Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:28 am
Imperatrix Xoco says...

(Aww, people replied! I feel all warm and loved inside now. x3)

Suzanne: Right on, a fellow NaNoer! *highfives* Good to meetcha, Suzanne. Thanks for the tips with the name colors. See you around the site!

Peanut: Hullo, Peanut! Eh, I don't mind too much if you're a neutral or even a fan. Heck, my best friends are fans or neutrals. ;)

I adore poetry! The problem comes up when I try to write it, but I love to read it. I think poetry is beautiful and insanely difficult, and I have serious respect for poets. Do you write any?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:54 am
WaterVyper says...

Heya Impy! Do you mind Impy? I saw you around the Screnzy site a few times. Welcome to YWS! And I love Gaiman too. The Sandman is awesome. I love Death and Destruction the most. Twilight... I can tolerate it, just barely, but not the rabid fans. Fans who can hold intelligent conversation are fine.

And anyway, I gotta go over the rules. That's sort of standard Greeter stuff around here. More on that later. Here on YWS, we have a few main rules to remember. In a nutshell:

1. Keep the 2:1 review ratio. That means you have to review at least two works before you post any of your own. It makes sure that everyone gets a review.

2. You have to use proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization at all times. This rule includes net/chatspeak. We're writers on a writing website, so it's kind of expected to see proper grammar.

3. Rate your works properly. Rated works will show up on the front page so people can see them. If it contains graphic scenes or the f-word, then it must be rated R.

So, those are the rules. There are more, which you can find here. They're easy to follow, os you don't have to worry. Now, I mentioned something about Greeter stuff earlier:

Some people have differently colored usernames. That means that they have different jobs to do. For some position, you can apply. With others, you have to be chosen or invited.

Blue: Greeters. Greeters greet you and answer any preliminary questions you have about the site.

Purple: Instructors. They go above and beyond in helping others to improve their writing. They can offer tips, review works, among others.

Light Green: They are Junior Moderators. I call them mini-mods when nobody's looking. They're like regular moderators, but only in some parts of the forums.

Dark Green: Regular Moderators. They have moderating powers in all the forums. They keep the members in line. You can go to them for any issues with the forums.

Red: Administrators. They are responsible for the site as a whole.

Orange: Distinguished Members. They are moderators and/or administrators who have retired.

So, that's it for the rainbow people of YWS. You can apply to be an Instructor or Greeter. There's more information about applications here.

Now, tell us more about yourself. What are your other hobbies? Interests in music or movies? In prose, what genre do you like to write? Any other miscellany you want to put? Well, I hope to see you around sometime soon. Feel free to PM me for anything you need. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:28 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Hey You! :) Welcome to YWS!
I know a little bit of latin, although I want to learn more. I'm taking AP Lit classes and our teacher is constantly giving us Latin to learn, so yeah. I also love Neil Gaiman, I've read Stardust but I plan on getting more books by him. So glad that you found the site, and let me know if you ever need any reviews or questions that need to be answered. I'll be happy to help. Well, good luck with your writing.
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm
Helpful McHelpfulpants says...

Yay for Pterry fans! Also for Latin! Also for your new name, i.e., Hey You.
Nunc lac est bibendum.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:37 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

There are some gaming groups on here, I think. Click the huge Groups button in the header and scroll down to Videogame Freaks. If you are into World of Warcraft, check out this link for a group that has yet to be formed. But you need five people to create a group, so, if you post, that group if pretty much formed. (No pressure, though) There is also one for Diskworld, and, well, I think you should poke around for yourself. ^_^

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! (I am blue under this purple, so go ahead!)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:18 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Trix (what I shall call you. Deal with it), welcome to YWS! Or, salve! ich heisse, no, je m'appelle, no, is mise, no, wait... sum Stella?

I gave up Latin last year after three years of studying it. I'm a bit rusty. Latin gets difficult, but also very funny (those poems have some rather, uh, suggestive themes that teenage boys enjoy :)) ambulabamus... ambulata sum... I don't remember all the cases, but... yeah...

Welcome to YWS!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

5 Reviews

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 pm
Imperatrix Xoco says...

WaterVyper: Oh boy, oh boy, another Gaiman fan! *hugs* Yeah, I've gotta agree that Death is super awesome. :3 Thanks for the rules and the rundown on the colors! That helps quite a bit.

For other hobbies, I do a lot of acting. I've got the theatre bug and refuse to let it go. I also read a ton and have a huge interest in all sorts of genres and mediums, poetry, prose, script, you name it, I'll probably have read something like it. I'm also a bit of a history/research geek. There's nothing better for me than coming home from the library with my arms loaded with stacks and stacks of books based around Italy in the seventeenth century. I sing when I feel like it and love snowboarding, even if I suck pretty hard at it. xD

The genres I mostly play around with are tinged in fantasy. They're really this conglomerate of a lot of different genres with small fantasy aspects. :3 Right now I'm trying out more urban stuff and putting my pen to that dark unknown otherwise called "steampunk." Really excited for that.

I do have a question, actually. If you post a comment in a thread for your story, does that make it count as a review? Like if I wanted to thank someone for reading something I wrote, would I need to pm them in order to do that?

*DaughterOfTheMoon*: I'd say that. for other stuff by Gaiman, you simply have to read his short story anthologies as well as his regular novels. They're just great. :D

Helpful McHelpfulpants: Woo for Pterry, indeed! *high fives* And Latin! And names like "Hey You!"

Rosey: Thanks very much for the advice. :3 I'll be sure to start looking about the groups.

Stella: Aw, Trix. It's cute! n_n

Yeah... You can hear the collective snorts in my Latin classroom when ever we go over poems. And then they become running jokes for the rest of the day, only to be forgotten when they actually need them for a test. Cool to hear you took three years, though! It is pretty hard sometimes but I enjoy it quite a bit, in all its difficult glory.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 am
Windy Silvermist says...

Hiya I'm Windy as you can see to your left, unless of course your on top of your computer then it would be to your right. Anyway guess what I take Latin too!!! Though I suck so bad I won't know what your saying in the slightest. Twilight hater huh, I think its o.k. and I like reading it but I'm not above mocking it. ( read Toaster Genie its one of my stories it has horrible grammar and you would have to read Meep,s paradies to get it) Actually I'm not above mocking most things so if your in a mocking mood I'm your person. ( though you might just be a kind hearted girl who is nice to things they dislike, Heck, I even mock the things I do like, accept people and this is way to long to be a sentence.) Hope you like it here now I'm going to go ask you to be my friend:D. Shoot for the Milky Way! (and bring oreos.)

-Windy

( Don't say my last name it bugs me)
“The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.”

"You must ask for God's help. ... After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again."
-C.S. Lewis

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites