z

Young Writers Society

I'm a Newbie!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 pm
P!nk!nk says...

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to you as it's my first time ever being on this website. My name is Jacintha and I am a proud Canadian! Writing has always been a passion of mine ever since as far back as I can remember, but I've grown more serious over the past couple of years. All forms of writing intrigue me but I absolutely love screenwriting. Yep, you guessed it, I'm an aspiring screenwriter.

I know, I know, I bet it's a bit boring reading about little ole' me, so here's something I hope you could use. Advice. Try every possible form of writing that you can imagine! When it comes to the many forms of writing, I've dabbled in everything you can think of, from poetry and short stories to theatrical writing. By doing so, I found my strengths and my weakness' and figured out what style of writing I enjoyed the most. Many things in life requires hard work and dedication and gosh is it ever true when it comes to writing. If you are a true artist (yes, I said artist), you are going to pore your blood, sweat and tears into your art. Things would go along much more smoother if you were committed to the style of writing you've chosen. "Chosen" is a bad word perhaps, I like to think the style chooses us.

Anyway, that's my piece of opinion. I'm glad to be a part of this society and I can't wait to meet you all and chat about what it is I'm sure we all love. Writing.

Jacintha

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, here on YWS we have three little rules everybody is expected to follow. They are:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. A "review" must be at least three lines long, or else it won't count. The bonus is, the more you can pick out in others writings, the better your own writing gets. ^_^ It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.

2- Chat-speak should be kept to a minimum. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps in your post. Some abbreviations like lol, brb, POV, MC and other term abbreviations are fine, just don't overdo it.

3- Rated works are what we like to see! If you rate your work, and it's not rated R, then your work will show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Those are the main rules for you. The rest are found here.

I just love your username! Pink with an exclamation mark is so what I would do. ;) *points to own pink-inspired username*

Another Canadian. ^_^ I'd be Canadian too. Nice place to be, eh? (had to throw that in. xD)

What genres do your screenplays fall under?

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:03 am
P!nk!nk says...

Hi!

Thanks for giving me a heads on the rules, I had no idea about the whole "past two pieces of work" thing, so thanks again :)

I love your user name as well. Very unique. Then again, anything that includes "unicorn" is intriguing I think. Mystical creatures of the unknown are always an eye catcher.

Canada is definitely a wonderful country to live in and I'm glad to know I'm not the only Canadian here. When I registered on here, underneath "language" is only said British English, it had me thinking this was a site that only consisted of the British, lol. Not that that's a bad thing, I just figured I'd be the odd duckling.

As for my screenplays, so far I have on that would be considered action, another that would be classified as a historic love story I suppose and my latest project would probably fall under modern romance. I'm not fond on classifying my scripts on genre, I never know what category to place them under haha.

How about you? You're a member of this site, you must enjoy some form of writing.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:19 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

'Ello P!nk! I'm not British, but you can't deny that's pretty fun to say. ;) Anyway, welcome to YWS!

Since Rosey has already shown you the rules, I shall happily show you our colorful usernames we have here on YWS. These colored usernames are actually our YWS staff and will gladly help you if you ever are in need of assistance, because that's our job. :)

Blue- Greeters. These people help new members on YWS and introduce them to the site. Greeters are users like Rosey and I.

Purple- Instructors. They will review your work thoroughly and help you become a better writer.

Light Green- Junior Moderators. These members help make sure the site is running smoothly and control some forums.

Green- Moderators. They control all forums and make sure YWS can run as smoothly as possible.

Red- Administrators. They make sure everyone follows the rules, is doing what they're supposed to be doing, and help out with all forums.

Orange- Distinguished Members. These are retired Moderators.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

My favorite genre of writing is romantic fiction. I just love a good romance story, like Jane Austen and Shakespeare.

Here are some other questions for you:

~ What's your favorite dessert?

~ What is an inspiration to your writing?

~ What's your favorite book?

~ What do you love to do in your free time?

~ Who's your favorite author?
Last edited by SeleneForeverDream on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

1272 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:26 am
Rosendorn says...

You'll find people from a lot of countries here. Aussies, Canadians, Americans, British, Indian, African... we're very international here on YWS. As you can probably tell, lol

I am a fantasy writer and a poetry writer. Or realistic stories with some magic in them. Fantasy is my first love, and poetry, well, I've written poetry a lot as a kid, but I never had any place to put it until now. :D If you look at my portfolio it's all fantasy stories (one or two realistic ones) and poetry. It's what I'm in the mood to write in, pretty much. (Although my long works are fantasy, without fail)

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:29 am
P!nk!nk says...

Hey!

Thanks for the info.

More than likely, I'll definitely be in contact with you :D

I was just wondering, Rosey mentioned reviewing other peoples work. Where would I go about viewing other peoples work to? I'd love to get started on that right away.

Thanks,
Jacintha

1272 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 am
Rosendorn says...

Click on the Writing button in the header. That will take you to the Literary forums where you can review. ^_^

6 Reviews

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 am
P!nk!nk says...

~ What's your favorite dessert?

~ What is an inspiration to your writing?

~ What's your favorite book?

~ What do you love to do in your free time?

~ Who's your favorite author?

Well SereneForeverDream,

I would have to say my favorite dessert would be bake apple cheese cake, although I like anything with chocolate as well.

My favorite books? Now you're getting into something, haha. There are a TON of books that I enjoy, way to many to name them all but I will tell you that I like Catcher in the Rye. Probably a common novel loved by many, but it's underlying meanings intrigue me. I love how the book screams sadness, confusion and trouble....but in amongst it all there's a whisper of hope. It's just one of many that I enjoy though. I don't have a favorite author. To be honest, I read so many books that I hardly ever remember a specific author. I also try not to look at the author because if I do and he/she becomes my "favorite' author, I'll become bias to his/her work and probably won't read much belong to any other author. My obsessions pretty much consume me on times.

In my free time I read a lot and write a lot basically. When I'm not doing those things I'm just hanging out with my friends doing whatever. I try to do as much as I can in the run of a day and I like doing random things. I think a great writer learns their surroundings and absorbs things like a sponge, so I try to do new and different things.

As for my inspiration, I don't know really. A lot of things inspire me at certain times depending on the mood I'm in. It could be as simple as the way a rock is laying on the side of the road. Yes, really. I think certain things demand to be told.

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah