z

Young Writers Society

?!?

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:22 am
strawberry_fields_forever says...

I've been wondering around on the site and finally found a way to ask some questions.
1. How can I read things that others have written?
2. I'd really like to post some stuff and I was wondering how to go about that?
3. Do you guys enjoy this site?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 am
How2EataRhesus says...

Hey strawberry_fields_forever, my name is Rhee. Welcome to YWS!
1. Go to the "Writing" section, right beside the "Community" section. You'll see the different genres everything is organized into. Feel free to review. :]
2. We have a 2:1 rule about posting your own works: For every work you post, you must have two or more reviews. This means that you'll have to review two other works before posting your own.
To actually post a work, go to the "Writing" section and click the "Submit Something" link.
3. Of course! Some of us have literally been here for years and are still addicted. Not only do we get to improve our writing, we get to read others' works, make new friends....Trust me, it is fun.

Tell us about yourself. What genres do you read or write in? Why did you join YWS? What are some of your other hobbies? Do you NaNo? Are you doing ScriptFrenzy next month? We need a real introduction here! :]

Anyway, welcome! Don't hesitate to PM me if you still have any questions.
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33 am
God says...

haha, my dear friend, we will come to those in time,
first, let me introduce myself,

I am God, if the name would offend you, please feel free to call me whatever you wish...

there are a couple things to note before I answer your questions,

1. make sure you post at least 2 reviews for others work before posting your own work, try to maintain a 2:1 ratio, at least,

2. dont use chatspeak, its bad habit around here, try to use grammar, spelling & punctuation,

those are the only real rules,

first, to read something of someone else, click the button that says "Writing" then either click "read & review" or "recent literary editions" to see a list of work to review, (under read & review you will have to select a genre/category)

2. after reviewing a couple of times, click the "submit something" button then select the type of work you want to submit,

3. of course we enjoy this place, most of us love it... addiction, more like...

if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me,

Peace,
God

p.s. I assume you are a beatles fan?
there are a few of us running around here...

Beatles Rock!
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:37 am
Sura says...

Bonjour!
How2EataRhesus covered the questions well, and I'll add from personal experience that navigation gets a whole lot easier once you've been here a day or two. It's important to note that the Community Forums are completely separate from the writing area, which can get confusing sometimes.
Do you have any questions about points or titles?

Anyway~ I love it here!
The people are amazing. : D
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice
that fish live in fish bowls only!"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Some more notes that will help you while navigating YWS:

~ A "Review" must be at least three lines long or else it won't count. The bonus is, the more you can point out in others works, be it positive or negative, the better your own writing gets. ^_^

~ Don't flood the boards with your work. "Flooding" is posting more then one thing a day. Other members get turned off seeing so many threads by the same author and might not review.

~ Works that you submit should be around 1,500 words long, 2,000 maximum. People will get overwhelmed if they see that much to read and critique.

~ If you rate your work, and it's not rated R, it'll show up on the front page of YWS. You might get more comments out of it. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Well, those are my words of wisdom for the moment. If you want somebody to take you under their wing and show you around, check out the Mentor Program. Just click the blue to reach the thread. mentors help you out by showing you around YWS for one month. You could also ask me, even though I am not a mentor, or, in fact, you can ask just about anyone. We're all really eager to help here on YWS. ^_^

To answer your final question, since God and Rhee covered the first one:

I love it here! It's just the best place ever. You meet a whole bunch of people who share your love of writing and are just as strange as you are because of it!

If you have any questions, feel free to hit the little "PM me" button under my post.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:20 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi Strawberry and welcome to YWS! I see that everyone has already explained practically everything, so there's no need for me to go over that stuff again. The rules are done, so I guess I'm up for colors. Here on YWS, some members have different colored names depending on what jobs they have. Here's a quick explanation:

Blue: Greeters usually the first people you meet on the site, and thus, they're the ones to answer most questions you have.

Purple: They are Instructors, who really know the ins and outs of writing. You can go ask them if you are in need of any reviews.

Light Green: Junior Moderators who have moderating powers in some forums.

Dark Green: They are regular Moderators who have moderating powers in all the forums. They are in a group called Big Brother.

Red: They are Administrators, who keep the site online.

Orange: Distinguished Members are retired mods. I believe they can be reinstated, though.

Well, that's it for the colors of YWS. Now, all of the questions have already been asked, so there's no apparent need for me to repeat them. I can say that you're free to PM me for anything you need. I hope to see ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 am
mystymizer says...

Seems like all your questions have been answered! Just saying hello instead and I hope you have a great time on YWS! You find a lot of great people on her and it is a wonderful way to develop your editing/writing skills!

Have fun writing and reading, I'll be seeing you around!
- - No one is free while others are oppressed - -
Gandhi.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:43 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Yeah, all your questions have been answered. But, I love YWS. I'm pretty much addicted to it now. :)

I love your user name!

So yeah, Hi and welcome to YWS. Hope to see you around.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

Welcome to the wonderful world of YWS! I love that song, as well as your username. Strawberry fields forever! Now I have it stuck in my head... :D

So seeing that a lot has already been covered, you may or may not know about our Groups. We have everything from writing to random when it comes to YWS groups. Just go into the Groups Section and join whichever groups interest you, so you can make new friends and have fun. I'm sure you'll find something you'll enjoy.

If you have any questions, would like a review, or would just like to chat feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon