z

Young Writers Society

Ciao Dudes!

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Blue Giraffe says...

Hi everyone! Blue Giraffe is my Internet pen name, and you can call me BG. I'm 13 and the only think I can really brag about is how I won NaNo last year on my first try. I'm a big fan of fantasy (both reading and writing), and just about anything normal I try writing usually ends up leaning in that direction. :D I tend to use smilies when I feel like it, and I really hope no one is afraid of them. :lol: <---((Am I the only person who thinks this one looks a tad bit weird?))

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:31 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Welcome Blue Giraffe! No you're not the only one who thinks that emotion looks weird. It's supposed to look like a laughing face, but...

Another NaNo-er! I won it too, and it was also my first time. Now I'm looking forward to the upcoming November.

So what else do you do apart from winning NaNos and writing fantasy? Tell us a bit more about yourself, after all this is you thread.

Now you'll find this place filled with friendly people eager to help you if you have any questions or concerns. You can always PM me too if something comes up. I suggest that you go through the Guides and FAQs if you haven't already. You'll find some in Help and Support Section.

Have fun writing, reviewing, and posting!
See you around ( the fantasy section i think. ;) )

-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 pm
queenb4ever says...

Hi! I'm kay! I won't bother you with all the rules and stuff, someone else will! lol. I hope you like it here and if you just wanna talk PM me! 8)
Yum=Chinese Food

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Alright. Yay, I get to do the rules!! (sarcasm)

1. You have to review two works before posting your own. People are more willing to review your work if you review theirs.

2. Limit chat-speak. Try not to use 'dis' for 'this' or 'dat' for 'that.' Things like POV, lol, and brb are fine.

3. Rate your works, rate it 'R' if it has graphic scenes or the f-word.

So, anyways, welcome to YWS! I'm excited to try NaNo this year. I've never tried before, so we'll see if I can do it.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 pm
Emerson says...

Hello and welcome to YWS! I'd love to say I'd read your work, but I don't do much in fantasy. ^_~ In any case, I hope you enjoy the site! Congrats on winning NaNo your first go around! What was the final count, and do you plan on doing it again?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hey BG, welcome to the wonderful world of YWS!

I'm a bit smiley-happy myself. :D Glad to see a NaNo-er around here, because they are always warmly welcomed! We even have a forum here for our fellow NaNo-ers in the Writing Section. Feel free to rant and rave about the up-coming 2009 NaNo there.

So if you haven't noticed already there are people on YWS with different, colorful names. These people are the YWS staff and each specify in a different job.

Blacks- Are regular members.

Blue- Are Greeters. Their job is to make new members, like yourself, feel welcomed into YWS and will help you get started. They will introduce you to the rules here as well as help you around the site.

Purple- Are Instructors. They specialize in giving the best critiques possible.

Light Green- Are Junior Moderators. They help oversee a few forums.

Green- Are Moderators. They oversee all forums.

Red- Are Administrators. They make sure the site is running smoothly at all times.

Orange- Are Distinguished Members. They are retired moderators.

If you have any questions, would ever like me to review your work, or would like to just chat, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just a quick tip- Don't flood the boards with your work. If you post multiple parts of a story in one day, or just a bunch of stories in one day, people will get turned off. Limit yourself to posting one work a day. ;)

I want to do NaNo this year! I want to finish my current novel by November so I can work on a new one for NaNo, but that's pretty far off.

Smileys are fun. ^_^ I use them enough, and you'll find lots of company.

Actually, I love that little :lol: smiley. It's that little embarrassed laugh you do.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hey!
My screenname is fragile_heart(!), but you can call me A. I want to do NaNoWriMo this year, too! I've already begun to start planning my novel :$. Wow! I can't believe you won on your first try at thirteen! It really inspires me.

If you need anything (instructions, a review, or just a good ol' pal), PM me!
- A
:D

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

:O
One more thing...
Welcome fellow Italian!

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:46 am
MysticalBlood says...

:lol: <- That smily is weird! I didn't notice that one, he looks all twitch and odd. :D
Welcome to YWS! I am new too and find it really fun, you get help on any thing you submit, everyones helpful and willing to point out mistakes and help you learn things you didn't know! So get ready :)

p.s. the smily looks like it is in pain aswell. :lol:
'This isn't funny Dean, the voice says i'm almost out of minutes!' - Castiel
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

Reviews: 3
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:34 pm
Blue Giraffe says...

Wow! Thanks for all the enthusiastic replies! I'll try to go and answer each question.

First, thanks for explaining the rules! The colors thing had me a bit confused too, so that helped a lot.

mizz-iceberg wrote:So what else do you do apart from winning NaNos and writing fantasy? Tell us a bit more about yourself, after all this is you thread.

Well...I'm going to try my hand at Screnzy next month. Although I think I'm quite insane, because I'm going to have family here for the first two weeks of it. Also, I think I forgot to mention my nationality. See, I'm American, I just live in Italy. Crazy, huh? And I found this website from a link somewhere on the Screnzy site (I'm Bookish13 there), so I'm psyched when I see some familiar usernames.

Suzanne wrote:What was the final count, and do you plan on doing it again?

My official word count was 50, 218, and I completely plan on doing it again. It was an awesome experience, not to mention I had some of my happiest moments doing some furious catching up at the end of day during Thanksgiving break while I was in Paris. Late nights + long subway and bus rides makes for one very interesting long weekend.

And actually, now that I think about it, :lol: looks like he's being tortured.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:41 pm
How2EataRhesus says...

Hey BG, I'm Rhee. :]
Congrats on the NaNo accomplishment! I've tried twice and haven't won yet. :L I'm doing Screnzy next month, too.
Hey, I posted a thread about YWS on the SF forums...what was the username of whoever gave you the link? It could've been me. :-D
Whoa...you're American, you live in Italy, and you went to Paris for Thanksgiving. How many places have you been to? :o
Anyway, PM me if you ever have a question. And yes, :lol: does look like it's being tortured, perhaps by The Joker. (RIP Heath Ledger! <3 )
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl