z

Young Writers Society

Hiya

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 pm
pla303 says...

Hi, I'm pla303, but I go by Jack. I mostly write short stories, though I did write a novel for NaNoWriMo and I plan to write a radio script for Script Frenzy. Right now, I'm working on a series of short stories, in which I kill Amanda Palmer, a concept based off of Neil Gaiman's collection of Amanda Palmer death stories in the Big Book of Amanda Palmer. Hope to get more feedback on this stuff and all. =P

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:43 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hey and welcome! Here are some of the main rules on YWS:

1. You must review two works before posting something of your own. People are more likely to review something of yours if you review other people's work.

2. Limit chat-speak. Please don't use 'dat' for 'that'. Or 'dis' for 'this'. It's just annoying, please use proper grammar and spelling.

3. Rate your works, if something has the f-word or very graphic scenes, rate it 'R'.

So, if you have any questions you can PM me. Have fun!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just to let you know, a review must be at least three lines long or else it won't count. The bonus is, the more you can pick out in others' works, the better your own writing gets! ^_^

Some abbreviations like lol, brb, POV and MC are fine. Mostly we ask for proper grammar, spelling and caps.

Short stories sound like fun. I don't know if I could write more then one with the same MC though. Which is a bit strange, since I tend to use the same characters in different novels. :lol:

What genres do you write?

NaNoers can be found in pleanty here! If you click Writing in the header, you'll find a whole forum for it!

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:05 am
WaterVyper says...

Hiyas Jack! Welcome to YWS. The rules have already been explained to you, so there's no need to go over them again. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful stay here.

Now, I'm sure you've noticed that some of us have differently colored names. Now, that means we have different jobs to do around here on YWS. Let me give you a short explanation.

Blue: Greeters who greet you and help you get acquainted with the site. We're usually the first people you meet so we can answer most questions you have.

Purple: Instructors, who you can always depend on to give in-depth critiques. You can usually ask a review from them, no problem.*

Light/Dark Green: They are Junior Mods and regular Moderators. They have moderating powers in the forums, and you can ask them for any issues you have with the forums.

Red: Administrators who keep the site up and running.

Orange: Distinguished members, meaning they are retired moderators.

Well, that's it for the colors. If you need help, there's a list at the bottom of the page. I think you need to navigate to the Community or Literary forums to find it. Well, that's my two cents.

* Speaking of asking for reviews, we have a place called Will Review for Foor where you can ask for reviews. Most people have guidelines and stuff, so be sure to follow them. Of course, most people will already be willing to review your stuff.

And that's it. The questions are asked, and I have nothing more to say. Hope to see you around sometime, Jack. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:46 pm
pla303 says...

Thank you for all the information. It's really helpful. =)

Rosey: Yeah, for my Amanda Palmer stories, really, the only similarity between the MC in each story is the name and the fact that she dies in every story. I write these when I get really angry at something and I feel like killing something. Odd way to do relieve stress, but it works and they end up pretty creative.

I normally write in fantasy and science fiction, but recently, I've been experimenting with magical realism. We've been reading a lot of novels with magical realism in our Spanish and English classes. How about you?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:17 pm
Rosendorn says...

Heh, first you have to get over little I read.

Once you have gotten past that, I tend to write fantasy with slightly darker undertones. But I do have (slightly) lighter stories planed, and some urban fantasy.

If I write a short story, it's got some sparkle to it. Most of my short stories are rated G, and are pretty light and sweet. Just the fun I have between dark novels. (Although "dark" does not mean I write horror. On the contrary, I write more about darker themes, like human captivity.)

Right now I'm reading River Secrets by Shannon Hale. It's really good, but I wish I had read the first two books in the series first (The Goose Girl and Enna Burning)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 am
How2EataRhesus says...

Hey Jack, my name's Rhee. :]
I'm doing SF too next month. What's your script about? Not many people seem to do radio scripts.
Anyway, since I see you've already started to do a little reviewing, here's some info about the star system:
The stars below each user's avatar show how much they've reviewed. The more you review, the more stars you get.
1 yellow star=5 reviews
2 yellow stars=25 reviews
3 yellow stars=75 reviews
4 yellow stars=150 reviews
5 yellow stars=250 reviews

1 blue star, 4 yellow stars=350 reviews
2 blue stars, three yellow stars=450 reviews
and so on.

1 red star, 4 blue stars=850 reviews
2 red stars, 3 blue stars=950 reviews
and on and on, in the way of the Energizer Bunny. ;]

Anyways, welcome to the forum!
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 am
Sura says...

Hi Jack! I'm Sura.
It's great to have you here!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, want to chat or request a review!
<3
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice
that fish live in fish bowls only!"

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:32 am
MysticalBlood says...

hello, welcome to the young writers forums, i'm sure you'll enjoy it here, eveyones kind and supportive, we try to help out with peoples poems stories and novels, so be sure to get critiques to improve your work on the things you submit, unless it is absoblutely perfect there is no need to change anything! Good luck!

from
Lizzie
'This isn't funny Dean, the voice says i'm almost out of minutes!' - Castiel
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour