Sura says...

This place looks wonderful. : D
So~ can someone give the the 'insider's 411'? x3

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, at YWS we have some rules. Don't worry, only three main ones.

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That way, reviews get spread around more, and people are totally willing to return the favour. ;) A "review" must be at least three lines long, and it's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.

2- No chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Abbreviations like lol, brb, POV, MC and other term abbreviations are fine, as are emotocons. Just don't overdo it.

3- Rated works= happy YWSers. If you rate your work (and your work is not rated R) it'll show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ^_^ Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

That's the major 411 on everything. I'm sure more people will come along to help soon.

What genre(s) do you write?

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:16 pm
Sura says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Hiya and welcome!

So, at YWS we have some rules. Don't worry, only three main ones.

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That way, reviews get spread around more, and people are totally willing to return the favour. ;) A "review" must be at least three lines long, and it's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.

2- No chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Abbreviations like lol, brb, POV, MC and other term abbreviations are fine, as are emotocons. Just don't overdo it.

3- Rated works= happy YWSers. If you rate your work (and your work is not rated R) it'll show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ^_^ Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

That's the major 411 on everything. I'm sure more people will come along to help soon.

What genre(s) do you write?

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey

Ah, thanks! <3

I write sci-fi or fantasy most of the time, although I've been dabbling in horror as of late. :3
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice
that fish live in fish bowls only!"

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:23 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Hello! Welcome! So, I guess I'll tell you some of the jobs here on YWS. You know what job someone has by the color of their user name.

Purple: Instructors, they give the best critiques. Feel free to ask them for one.

Light Blue: Greeters, they welcome new members and answer and questions they might have.

Light Green: Junior Moderators, they can moderate some forums.

Dark Green: Moderators, they can moderate all forums.

Red: Site Administrators, they make sure the site runs smoothly.

Orange: Distinguished Members, retired mods.

After a month on YWS you can apply to be an instructor or greeter.

Hope you have lots of fun on YWS! Feel free to ask me any questions.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:25 pm
Rosendorn says...

Fantasy is where I usually hang out. ^_^ Even my realistic stories have some magic in them. And I'm not alone. A good chunk of the site is into fantasy. I don't know that much about sci-fi (I don't write it, nor do I read it), but I'm pretty sure there are people who enjoy a good sci-fi around here.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

34 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:30 pm
Sura says...

@Colleen~ Thanks!

@Rosy~ I see, that's great!

So, how does the point system work? ^_^;;
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice

115 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Basically, if you post you get points. For some things, you get more ponts then others. If you submit some of your writing it costs you points. I'm not sure completely how it works, but that's how I think it works.

34 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:44 pm
Sura says...

mhmmcolleenx0 wrote:Basically, if you post you get points. For some things, you get more ponts then others. If you submit some of your writing it costs you points. I'm not sure completely how it works, but that's how I think it works.

Ah, okay.

Oh~ where can I edit the status thing that appears under usernames?
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:54 pm
Juniper says...

Hi Sura, welcome to YWS! I'm June, and it's great to meet you!

The status thing that shows up beneath the names is called a custom title, dear. You get a custom title at Novelist rank; which is 250 posts. Here's the legend:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

June ;)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

34 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:12 pm
Sura says...

springrain2693 wrote:Hi Sura, welcome to YWS! I'm June, and it's great to meet you!

The status thing that shows up beneath the names is called a custom title, dear. You get a custom title at Novelist rank; which is 250 posts. Here's the legend:

New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000 posts.

June ;)

Oh, thanks!
: D

*is determined*
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice

115 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Haha, just the other day I got my custom title. I was so excited, it's amazing how some people can get so many points so fast. It took me almost two months. Hopefully you get one soon too!

34 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 pm
Sura says...

mhmmcolleenx0 wrote:Haha, just the other day I got my custom title. I was so excited, it's amazing how some people can get so many points so fast. It took me almost two months. Hopefully you get one soon too!

XD Congrazzles!

Thanks. n_n
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Sura! Great to meet you here on YWS. I see that you like Fantasy and Sci-fi. So, what type do you write? Urban? Dark? I mostly write time-travel stuff if I'm going into Sci-fi and fantasy, and I'm kind of obsessed with questions like What if he died when he was a baby, what if he was a girl instead, etcetera.

You have a nice avatar as well. It's so colorful and 'whooshy'. Sorry, I like to make up words for this kind of stuff. Where'd you get it?

So, good to meet you, Sura. Hope to see you around soon. Have a great stay in YWS. Feel free to PM me for anything you like. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

34 Reviews

Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:32 pm
Sura says...

WaterVyper wrote:Hey Sura! Great to meet you here on YWS. I see that you like Fantasy and Sci-fi. So, what type do you write? Urban? Dark? I mostly write time-travel stuff if I'm going into Sci-fi and fantasy, and I'm kind of obsessed with questions like What if he died when he was a baby, what if he was a girl instead, etcetera.

You have a nice avatar as well. It's so colorful and 'whooshy'. Sorry, I like to make up words for this kind of stuff. Where'd you get it?

So, good to meet you, Sura. Hope to see you around soon. Have a great stay in YWS. Feel free to PM me for anything you like. See ya!

xD I tend to gravitate more towards the spectrum of fantastical and whimsy. That's cool though. : D

Aww, thanks! Do you mean the koi or the flower? I change it often. ^w^ I found the koi on a photobucket search and the flower is an icon from Gaiaonline.

Thanks, I will. : D
I'm back!

"Breaking fixed idea!
Throw away the prejudice

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:46 am
Windy Silvermist says...

Wow you um like quoting people. Anyway Hiya I'm Windy this place is startacular. ( spectacular. I'm from a different planet and we've kind messed up your way of complimenting people or vise-versa) Welcome to a place were writers run free and write stuff that in all the realms of possibility don't make sense ( or at least I do). Anyway how you know all the stuff that really matters so I guess I'm here to say hi! Um um um, Bye!

-Windy

( Who is most definitely not normal)
“The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.”

"You must ask for God's help. ... After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again."
-C.S. Lewis

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild