z

Young Writers Society

Hi. :-)

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 pm
simplyECCENTRICme says...

Hello!

So I suppose I should say a little bit about myself. I'm an avid reader & writer and I've been writing for what seems like ages. I don't exactly remember when i first started writing but I know that once I started I couldn't stop! Writing has become an escape from me. It's my way of getting away from all the things going on around me and to create a world of my own. I think one of the reasons I really like writing stories is because I get to create the characters and decide their destiny and because I have complete control over the things that happen in my stories.

I'm a fiction writer and a poetry writer (though lately I've been lacking inspiration which happens when you live in a tedious, dismal town as I do). I write various types of fiction. Lately, I've been dabbling in mystery writing. Basically, I like thinking outside of the box and coming up with stories that are different from the ones normally read.

I've become a part of this website in hopes of receiving critiques on my work. As I've stated, I've been writing for years but I don't really have anyone to critique my work so I don't really know if I'm getting better or worse! I'm open to commentary on my work and I'm open to making new friends! I'd love to talk to some people who are as serious about writing as I am =]

-simplyECCENTRICme

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm
peanut19 says...

Hey Simply! Welcome to YWS I'm peanut. If you came for critiques you have come to the right place. Everyone here is nice and will be more than willing to give you a review. Speaking of reviews one of the rule here is the 2:1 ratio. Two reviews for one story of your's. This help keep things balanced. The other major rule is no chat speak. Chat speak drive people crazy around here because we are writers so we need to use correct grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. When you write a story and people review it they will probably point out any grammar mistakes as well as punctuation and capitalization. This helps you see where you messed up and helps you improve. Pretty soon a nice Blue person will come to this thread and tell you what the colors are. So, who's your favorite author? What's your favorite book/series?
My favorite series is the Blue is for Nightmares series by Laurie Faria Stolarz. She is also one of my favorite authors.
Welcome to YWS, happy writing!
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:16 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey there! Welcome to YWS :D

You've come to the right place if you're looking for critiques! I can assure you, you'll improve a lot once you've started posting your work ;)

I totally know what you mean. I also think it's awesome that I can basically make up my own world and be the ruler, so to speak. Guess that's why I don't like to write fan-fictions or continue a plot like my AP German teacher likes to tell me to ...

Anyways! Have you read the rules yet? You really should - they can be found here in the Welcome forum at the top.

Okay, now ... other questions:
What do you like to do besides writing?
What are your favorite movies and books?

That's about it, I guess ;)
If you need any help, feel free to PM me anytime!
Have a fun time around, MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hey simplyECCENTRICme, welcome to the amazing world of YWS! Interesting username, by the way. ;) It's quite unique.

Well as you can see I'm not a Greeter, the blue person peanut19 referred to, but I would like to tell you about the colors on the site and a little bit about YWS. First the colors.

YWS Jobs

Blacks- Are regular members, like you and me. We rule the forums!

Blues- Are Greeters. They'll help introduce you to the site and make you feel welcome.

Purples- Are Instructors. They will critique the work that you submit on YWS very thoroughly.

Light Greens- Are Junior Moderators. They are Moderators in training and help control some of the forums.

Greens- Are Moderators. They help control all the forums.

Red- Are Administrators of the site. They help out other members on the site and control it.

Orange: Distinguished members, or retired moderators.

And now my YWS survival tips!

Tips and Rules

1.) Be considerate and kind towards other members on the site. You know, things you've learned since Pre-K.

2.) Make reviews at least three sentences long or it won't count as a review.

3.) You can join a group based off of your interests in the Group section. We have everything ranging from random to writing.

4.) Put a decent amount of thought into each post, especially submissions, and check your spelling, capitalization and grammar. Also no chat-speak like brb and such. Lol and POV is fine. No caps lock, so don't go around submitting things like "THAT ROCKED!" or something like that. This will be greatly appreciated by everyone else on here!

5.) Like peanut19 mentioned, we have a 2:1 ratio with reviewing and posting. This means you have to make sure two reviews before you submit your own work.

6.) If your shy, don't be afraid to PM someone for help if your in need of it. Everyone is friendly here and would be happy to help you.

7.) All work should be rated. This means if it has sex scenes or has the f-word it should be rated R and so forth.

If you ever need a review, have a question, or would simply like to chat feel free to PM me! :D
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 pm
Incognito says...

Hello simplyECCENTRICme, and welcome to YWS.
You can call me Incognito. You will find that everyone on this site loves to read and write, and that's why, I believe that it is quite easy to make great friends. Don't be afraid to talk to anyone on this site, because here, everyone would be glad to talk to you.

I am one of the greeters that they were talking about, abut I am unfortuantely late, as I always am. All I can do right about now is tell my own tips and hints and anything that I think they didn't really mention.

I know they mentioned this before, but I want to make it clear. We do not like reading chat-speak. We are of course a writers society so we believe that everyone should abide by actually writing with proper capitalizatio, punctuation, and grammar. But I don't really think you have to worry about it. You seemed to be abiding by that rule fairly well already.

If you really do like to meet new people and making new friends, I recommend joining a group. If you click the group icon at the top of your screen, it will lead you to a page with lots of groups. You can join almost any of them. In groups, there are people there who all share the same interest or belief for that is why they tuly are in a group. If you like poetry, there is a poetry group. If you like fantasy, there is a fantasy group. You can create your own or join any of them. You will make friends fast.

Also, it seems that you really do want to get your work critiqued. Well, if you go to the community forums, there is a section called 'The Lounge'. If you look below that title, there is a Subforum called saying 'Will Review for Food'. If you post in there, it is almost guarenteed that you will get a review if you don't have any.

Well, thats about it. If you need help, feel free to PM me. I would be glad to help you. I would also be glad to be your friend because you seem like a good person.

Sorry for unleashing my inner rant.
~Incognito

P.S. Why don't you tell us a little more about you, like what is your favourite colour or what genre you like to read? Also, if you have a preference in what you are called, feel free to state it.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 pm
How2EataRhesus says...

Hey simplyECCENTRICme, I'm Rhee, who is also simply eccentric. Welcome to YWS! :]
I agree, stories rock, especially because you sort of get to "play" God. I do love it whenever my character acts on their own, though, because I never know what'll happen.
The Writer's Activities board is definitely good help for coming up with ideas. So is the Randomness forum. They both have a ton of inspiring and well, random stuff that gets the gears turning in your head. Be sure to check them out. :)
Wow. you do seem pretty serious about writing and critiquing. Have you thought about becoming an Instructor someday? Once you get some more experience under your belt, I think you should seriously consider it!
In case you were wondering, the stars under your avatar increase with your reviews. Once you get enough for 6 stars, your first star turns blue; with 11 stars, your first star is red, and so on, because we can't fit eleventy trillion stars into one little box. :] Here's the system:

Yellow Stars:
5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars
Blue Stars:
350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Yellow Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Yellow Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Yellow Stars
etc.
Red Stars:
850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
etc., until you have all red stars, which I don't think anyone has ever had. :wink:

Anyway, welcome to the forum. PM me if you ever have any questions. :]
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 pm
mimimac says...

Hey!
Welcome to the YWS!
*hands over a red cookie of friendship* :D (Ran out of purple ones :/)
I see the rules have already been explained by the greeters so...
Any favourite movies?
Favourite author?
Hobbies?
Any genre of music you like?

PM me if you need a review or if you need anything!
xxmimixx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm
Mira says...

Hi, Simply! Welcome to the wonderful world of YWS! :)

What kind of fiction do you usually write? Fantasy? Adventure?
Poetry is a wonderful art and I, unfortunately, find that I cannot usually write any good poems. T.T I still love poetry, though, because it is awesome and awesomeness must be loved. ^-^

How are you finding YWS so far? Any problems or questions? Just PM me if you need to!

Good writing!

@;~ Saph
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Now, let me see here. What do I have left to say?

My sales pitch on why it's good to rate things: Rated works, unless rated R, show up on the front page of YWS for all to see! You might even get more comments. ;) The guidelines for rating an R work is above my post.

And, something that very few people seem to mention: When you post your work, only post about one piece a day, no matter how much you are reviewing. It'll turn people off to see a bazillion threads by one person. ^_^

Well, that's what I have to say, seeing as I am late.

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:42 pm
queenb4ever says...

Hi! I'm Kay! I won't bother you with all that rules gibberish, I just want to say hope ya like it here, and PM is you ever wanna talk! 8)
Yum=Chinese Food

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson