z

Young Writers Society

A better portrayal of myself (I'm new)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 am
PaperMoon says...

Hey,

So I guess I'll start by simply writing a little about myself. I've been writing ever since I was young, but it has only been in the last few years that I have begun writing poetry. I've found it to be my saving grace, a medium with which I can express myself without directly doing so. I run six miles every other day and enjoy the intensity of competing in racquetball tournaments.

I strive for those moments in life that, for whatever reason, remain fixed in the mind. Perhaps the time you first held hand with a loved one, alone in a sea of people as fireworks lit up the sky, or time rain fell from the sky and there you stood, three hundred feet in the air, atop a rocky cliff gazing at the lush beauty under and about you.
I live for these moments, strive for these moments. And from them I've come away with some interesting stories and tales: I've been in a sinking car, almost frozen to death, and been attacked by wild animals, to name a few. Ha, variety, tis the spice of life indeed.

I recently finished a poem, with a stylistic homage to John Donne, and I realized that I had no one to really share it, appreciate it, critique and enjoy it. It's called Bloom of the Rose, and, on that note, I encourage others to read and review it.

In a sense, I'm writing here now to explore myself as a writer. I'll now resign myself to your comments. Thank you.

PaperMoon
Last edited by PaperMoon on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:50 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, there are three main rules on YWS. They are:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. This spreads reviews around, and people are more then willing to return the favour. ;) A "review" must be at least three lines long, or else it won't count. It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.

2- Minimize chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations like lo, brb, POV, MC and other term abbreviations are okay, just don't overdo it.

3- Rate works are your friend! If you rate your work, and it's not rated R, it will show up on the front page of YWS for all to see! You might even get more comments. :D Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

You'll find plenty of poets around here! I only dabble in it myself, but if you want to find some true poets, click on the Groups section and look for "Poetry Inspiration." You'll find lots of fellow poets. While your there, check out other groups that strike your fancy. ;) You might find a lot.

Other then poetry, what genres do you write?

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 3
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:07 am
hopelessromance00 says...

Hey Papermoon,
I'm new too, so it's kinda weird for me to say this. Anyways, Welcome to YWS ! hahaha I know how it feels to wait for replies on your posts. You'll get used to it :D
Hope to see your posts soon !

HopelessRomance00 / Firman

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 am
Meshugenah says...

Woo, Donne! He's one of my favorites, right now!

Welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy it! If you have any questions, just drop me a line! I'm happy to help! Especially a fellow poet who appreciate Donne's kick-ass-ness ;)

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:32 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey PaperMoon and welcome to YWS! It's great to meet you! Whew, it's been a while since I've encountered unfamiliar names in poetry. I'll have to look some of his stuff up. Anyway, Rosey has already gone over the rules with you so it isn't necessary to say all that stuff again.

Well, I'm sure you've seen that some of us are horses of different colors. There's blue, purple, light green, dark green, red, and orange. There's a list at the bottom of the page which explains pretty much everything. And those words are links, which lead to pages explaining what they are all about.

But, if you don't want to go through all that, here's a condensed version:

Blue people are Greeters who answer any questions you might have about the site.
Purple people are Instructors who you can count on to give in-depth critiques to improve your writing.
Light Green people are Junior Moderators who have moderating powers in some forums.
Dark Green people are Moderators who have moderating powers in all of the forums.
Red people, like Mesh above, are administrators who keep the site up and running.
Orange people are Distinguished members of the site, meaning that they are retired mods.

There you go!
There isn't much else for me to say, except that you can PM me for anything you need.

See ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:42 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey PaperMoon!
Welcome to YWS :D

Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself? What are your hobbies besides writing? Do you write anything else besides poetry? What are your favorite books and movies?

I totally understand what you mean with expressing yourself. It's like that with me as well, although I don't write poems :P

Well, if you need any help around here, feel free to PM me! ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:54 pm
PaperMoon says...

Well I guess some people want to know more about me, so let me think. I am the Senior Copy Editor of my school's newspaper, Editor-in-Chief of the school's literary magazine, and special to The Press Enterprise, a local paper. Because of all this experience and exposure, I am quite well versed in journalism and its stylistic jargon.

I am current reading Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. It's amazing. I also enjoyed The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, though I fear what the movie adaptation will do to it.

Haha, I love music. I grew up listening to Lennon, The Beatles, and Bowie, all of which have had a significant affect upon my tastes. Currently I like alternative folk, like Beirut, but I also love LA local bands such as The Deadly Syndrome (They sound hardcore but they're not, I promise), and The Airborne Toxic Event (also not hardcore, named after the novel White Noise). If pushed to decide, I think my favorite song would have to be Drops of Jupiter by Train with a close second being Porcelain by Moby.

Anyway, everyone who has posted so far has been extremely genuine to me, I truly feel as if I'm around others like myself, and I can't wait to nurture these young seed of friendship. Read my poem, Bloom of the Rose, and tell me what you think, its about a girl, though that's not why you should read it. And again, thank you to all my wonderful new friends.

PaperMoon

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:13 am
MySunshine says...

Wow, that's awesome!
I wish I had that much experience -_- ... I don't even know if we have a local newspaper here. Well, actually, I think we do, but I don't think they let just anyone submit something. Stupid Germany ...

I've heard of "Les Miserables". But it's French, and ever since I was allowed to drop out my French class, I've been avoiding anything of that language :lol:
Too bad I'm going on a school trip to Paris this fall xD

Huh. I really hate when people talk about their favorite bands and I've never heard of them ... Okay, I do know the Beatles but that's about it.

Anyways! I hope you're enjoying your time here so far - and will continue to do so ;) - and if you need any help, you can PM me. I'm going to say that help-part over and over and over again (repeat that some more times ...). Just kidding.

Have lots of fun ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie