z

Young Writers Society

I'm new. (:

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 am
jesseatspens says...

hey!
anyone wanna explain this thinger to me?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:36 am
fluteluvr77 says...

Hi Jesseatspens! Interesting username there...So, I'll be your explainer today! :D First, welcome to YWS! There are some basic rules that you have to know about this site so someone doesn't bite your head off (just kidding, the people here are actually really nice :) ). Anywayz, stuff you need to know :
~2:1 policy - For each piece that you write and post, you have to review at least 2 others. This helps make sure that everyone gets a review.
~No chatspeak - Since we all want to become writers here, proper grammar and spelling is needed. So, no abbreviations like "g2g" or "ttyl".
~Always use proper grammar and spelling
^_^ I think that's it...Don't worry if you mess up on some of these at first. It's not a big deal, and you'll get used to it soon :D
So, the colors of usernames :
No color : They're normal members (like me).
Blue : They're greeters that go around the welcome forum, greeting newbies and introducing them to YWS.
Purple : They're instructors that specialize in giving in-depth critiques.
Green : They're moderators that you can ask if you need help with anything...
Those are most of the people that you'll see hanging around. Anywayz, I think that's all you need to know...The site is a bit complicated at first, but you'll soon grow addicted to it like the rest of us. :D
So, tell us a little more about yourself! What kind of books do you like to read? What genres do you like to write? What kind of music do you like? Hope to see some of your pieces around!
PM me if you need help with anything, need a review or even if you just want to talk!
fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:44 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey jesseatspens! Nice username, like fluteluvr said. It's a bit confusing, but has a good ring to it. Welcome to YWS!

Fluteluvr mentioned the rules and colors, so what else do you need to know? Your question was a bit vague, so I'm not sure what you mean. Points? Other things?

Well, I guess I can go with points. You earn points every time you review works or post in sections of the forum where they say you can earn points. You get 10 points for automatically creating a post there, and 0.2 points for every character you input for a maximum of 50 points. Points are used to determine the member of the week, and they are reset after a certain period.

That's it with points, I guess. Oh yeah, Flute missed a color or two.

Light Green: They are the Junior Moderators.
Dark Green: Regular moderators.
Red: Administrators, who keep the site up and running.
Orange: Distinguished members, who are retired mods.

Yeah, that's it. Well, tell us more about yourself. What are your favorite things to write and read? Who are your favorite authors? What are your interests in music and movies? What are your other interests? We'd like to know more.

Well, feel free to PM me for anything you need. I hope to see you and your work around soon. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:01 am
Angels-Symphony says...

Welcome to YWS ^^ I'm Shina, one of the greeters as watervyper and flutluvr have pointed out. My friends have covered the basic rules of YWS like the 2:1 ratio, no chatspeak, and proper spelling and grammar rules, so I'm here to teach you how to use YWS for your own benefit.

YWS is a society of young writers. Being young writers, we all have open minds and plenty of opinions we can offer to yours and everyone elses pieces. Take advantage of the fact that there are hundreds of great editors on a safe, friendly site. In the real world is takes money $$$ to get a serious editor, on YWS all you have to do is post and surely some great editors will take their time to give you some help. You can be a really great writer and still improve from YWS.

Don't take all reviews to heart. YWS people love to tear pieces apart. Every little mistake they will catch, not matter how many people it will take. They swarm to good pieces as well as the bad. Make sure to meet the requirements so that way you can expect a review on the actual content of your piece. Remember that you don't have to change your work unless you really feel it's necessary for the overall goodness of your piece.

Get yourself out there! In order to take advantage of the opportunities YWS provides, you need to be an active member. Ask to friends with people, join chat, storybook, join groups, post in forums, and so on. Anything to get yourself known. Just remember that YWS people don't exactly like mean people nor do they like people who are here just to chat or spam. Remember that YWS is for serious writers.

Give what you take. Whenever someone does something for you, consider returning the favor. For example guestbooks. Someone signs yours, you sign theirs back. If someone gives you a review, do a review for them or someone else. Someone sends you a message, you reply. It's basically the rule of thumb.

That's all I have for now! I have to get back to my novel.

~Shina

PM if you need anything else ;)
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:08 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hey Jess, welcome to YWS!

So I see you know the rules, so I'll just give you a few pointers:

1.) Don't be shy to ask for help when you need it. Everyone's really friendly here.

2.) Based on your interests, you can join one of the many groups in the Group Section. We have everything from a Debate Group to helping you write and develop skills, like Double Trouble Writing Huddle. It's all lots of fun!

3.) Put thought into each post. This goes for reviews, as well. No few sentence posts with a bunch of grammar, punctuation and spelling errors. It really annoys some of the people on the site. Also a review shouldn't be really short, it should be at least three to four sentences long. No "That was great, keep writing!".

4.) If you'd like an intelligent conversation, we have chats that are sometimes open on the home page.

5.) Be considerate and kind and everyone will be nice to you! That's how you make friends. :)

If you have any questions, would like a review or would just like to chat feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, here is a little reminder/sales pitch on why you should rate your works!

Rated works, unless rated R, show up on the front page of YWS for all to see! You just might even get more comments. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Abbreviations like brb, lol, POV, MC and other terms like that are okay. It's just "u" for you and "k" for "okay" or "kay" that drive people up the wall.

Reviews must be at least three lines long to actually count as reviews. ^_^ The benefit is, the more you can pick out in other people's writing, the better your own gets.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:37 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Everyone already touched up on the rules so I'm just going to say hi! I hope you have fun on here. Join chats and stuff because everybody is really nice here.

Don't be afraid to ask questions nobody will think you're stupid. We are all willing to help.

Hope you have fun! PM me if you have any questions!
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

Reviews: 2
Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:44 pm
livexlaughxlovex15 says...

hey!!! whats up? im new here too! everyone is like REALLY nice and crazy helpful its kind of insane!!! (lol crazy and insane... they are like te same thing!) what do you like to write about? favorite color? etc. what ever other questions people tend to ask when you join these thingys! dont be a stranger. PM me! =] =] =] =] =] =] =] =] =] =] (oh and i also am in LOVE with smiley faces!)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Might I suggest starting your own thread? Posting on other people's welcome threads is called "hijacking" and isn't really liked. You'll also get more replies. ;)

Also, if you'll read the rules in the posts above yours, you'll see we ask for proper capitalization on all posts.

If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to hit the little "PM me" button at the bottom of this post.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm
Windy Silvermist says...

Hey jess,
( Mind if I call you that?)

So you like to eat pens I prefer pencils myself makes me feel like a beaver. Anyway welcome to YWS ( For the fiftyth time. Just in case you didn't feel welcome the first 49th.) I really don't have much to say. So you know see you around.

-Windy
“The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.”

"You must ask for God's help. ... After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again."
-C.S. Lewis

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender