z

Young Writers Society

Newby

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:14 pm
Velvet.whispers says...

Hey I'm another newby!
I live in Paris and I'm bilingual and I really enjoy writing!
(Check out my short story I posted in other fiction to get an idea of my tastes and style). I cannot promise to be a faithful visitor but will do my very best, wishing you all good writing and reading, love life and lash, G xx

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm
God says...

Welcome to YWS Velvet,

I'm God,

if the name offends you, feel free to make up your own for my use, I don't mind,
anyhow,

Paris huh? Cool,

couple things to let you know about

1. do at least 2 reviews before posting your own work, and try to keep at least a 2:1 ratio,

2. don't use chatspeak, it irks people...

other than that, just write, and have fun, most of us here are very nice, and cool,

if you're wondering,

people with a blue username like my own, are greeters, we try to help new members feel welcome,

so, what do you like to do? what music do you like?

Peace,
God

feel free to PM me with any questions you might have,
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 pm
How2EataRhesus says...

Hey Velvet.whispers! Welcome to YWS. I'm Rhee.
Paris? Wow! Be sure to post a picture of the Eiffel Tower, okay? :]
There are some basics I just want to remind you of:
1. The users with blue names are Greeters. Anyone can greet, of course, but these people are the official ones. A few of them will probably come here shortly and offer cookies. :] Users with purple names are Instructers, who are the ultimate critiquers of your work, anything from poetry to scripts. Users with green names are Moderators; users with light green names are Junior Mods. Users with orange names are distinguished members (for example, former moderators).
2. It's great to see that you've already submitted and reviewed! Just remember the 2:1 rule: For every submission, you have to review two works by other people.
3. If you get addicted to YWS (most of us already are), we will steal your soul. Just a warning. :]

We hope you enjoy your stay at YWS. You can find the room service menu by the telephone.
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:15 pm
Meshugenah says...

I'm sure something will get thrown at me for this, but what's Paris like? I've only been to Europe once, and that was Italia, and I'm itching to go back! Do you write anything other than short stories?

Right, anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy it! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line! I'm happy to help, and usually know what's going on 'round this corner of the internet.

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

I see you have figured out that a review is over three lines long!

Do you know about the wonderful benefits to rating your work? No? Well, rated works, unless rated R, show up on the front page of YWS. If it shows up on the front page, you might get more comments. :D Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Paris? So cool. I'm a bit bilingual, but don't ask me to type in French. :P

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Velvet! Welcome to YWS!

I'm Winter. You live in Paris? I envy you. So much. I speak a little french, but I'm not fluent. I've been to Paris once. I want to go back so badly!

So, who are your favorite authors/genres/movies/songs?

See you around!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 pm
Sare Agama says...

Hi, Velvet.whispers! I'm Sarah. You can call me anything you want, just not ;ate for dinner. :D Have you joined any groups? To do so, you click on the picture of the three people at the top of the screen Then, you just scroll down the list, and choose.

Which do you like more, writing, or reading? I, personally, am not sure. i read at least one book a day, and I try to write that often. It doesn't always work, though. :lol:

I won't bore you with the rules, since everyone else did. By the way, there is a chat room here on YWS. You can only get in when a moderator *mods are the ones in dark green* or a administrator *Admins are red* is in there. If you aren't sure if someone is a mod or admin in the chat, don't worry. As long as at least two people are in their, you're good.

Do you prefer to paint/draw, write scripts, fanfiction, non-fiction, historical fiction, ppoetry, or fantasy/adventure fiction? We have a forum for all of them. :D

Welcome to YWS! Keep writing!

-Sarah
Your monthly Bible quote: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are decietful." Proverbs 27:6

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey, Velvet - Welcome to YWS :D

Paris is awesome! In fact, I'm going to be there for a week in October :D:D
It's a good thing that my teacher is also teaching French, otherwise we'd have lots of problems. I forgot most of the French I learned - all I can say is Yes, No, I don't know and Thank you :P

How are you liking it so far?
I see you've reviewed a few times and the others explained the rules already, so I won't tell you again ;)

Tell us more about you!
What're your favorite books, movies and musicians? Hobbies? What genre do your short stories belong to? Do you write something else than short stories?

Well, feel free to PM me if you need any help around!
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:00 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Hey Velvet ^^ Shina here ;) Welcome to YWS! I haven't been greeting a while due to the purps vs. blue war xD

Okay, so here are the basic rules of YWS that I have come to find really helpful:

1. Don't take all reviews to heart. People on YWS are entitled to their opinion and when you submit your work, you're giving permission to the general public to tell you what they think. You also don't have to change your work unless you feel it necessary.

2. Get yourself out there! The only way you can become addicted to YWS is if you be fearless and take advantage of all the opportunities. We are a society of young writers with opinions and thoughts that could make you improve your writing far beyond you think possible. Even the best of writers can improve from this site.

Those are the only two things I can think of right now other than no chat-speak.

~Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:04 pm
Velvet.whispers says...

Hey to all, sorry for not being more prompt at answering.
Well my interests really are quite varied and i haven't time to elaborate, but any form of art has always been an obsession. I dance and play music, i like drawing, photography is one of my newest hobbies, but of course reading and writing will always remain a favourite! As I have already mentioned I live in Paris but will be moving to England next year to go to university where i have an offer to read Philosophy and Literature.
Being bilingual, I've allowed myself to try various things, never clearly identifiable as a genre. I'm now experiencing with what i like to think of as bilingual writing. Often, films have various character speaking different languages. The idea would be to write like that, without of course the convenient option of subtitles. It's also an interesting experience philologically speaking as it helps me understand to what extent our thoughts are shaped by the inherent structure of the language we think in.
I was wondering if anyone would be up to following this multilingual adventure?
Love
Velvet Whispers

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:23 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Alright, so most of the stuff has been gone over! So, I'll be your [s]nosy interrogator[/s] friendly questioner today! I'm trilingual (I kinda sorta speak French)! I really want to visit there, so any good monuments that you've visited? Have you ever been to any other European countries? Do you speak any other languages (other than French & English)? Alright, I'm done! Feel free to PM me if you need any help, need a review, or just want to talk!
fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates