z

Young Writers Society

Smell that Fresh College Dropout Scent! mmmm!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 pm
Aquaman21385 says...

[b]Hi people.

I'm new here but I guess that goes without saying. I literally just dropped out of college today and I'm feeling kinda weird. I left school because I felt like I was wasting my time and money learning things that I didn't really need for what I want to do in life, which is write.

I just need a place where I can work on my writing skills and get critical feedback from like minds. I enjoy all kinds of writing mostly fiction,atleast that's what I aspire to do and I can be a pretty good critic if anybody needs help. My favorite author is Stephen King, sometimes I read his stuff and just wish I could do what he does. Hopefully one day I will.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, three rules to know before you jump into the wonderful world of YWS.

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That way, everybody gets a review. The double bonus is that people are much more willing to look at your stuff if you've looked at theirs. ^_^ It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio

2- Chat-speak is not something you want to slip into here. Some members flip if they see too much. ;) lol, brb and other phrase abbreviations are okay, just don't overdo it.

3- Rated works are what we like to see! If your story hold the rating of G to PG-13, it will show up on the front page of YWS. You might have noticed there is the final rating of R. Rated R works have the f-word, graphic violence or sex scenes. Since this site is family friendly, those won't show up on the index.

Critical feedback is what YWSers give! It's the best place on the net to get writing help. ^_^

If you have questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm
MySunshine says...

Welcome to YWS :D

Rosey covered the rules, so I guess I'll just ask questions ;)
What did you study before you dropped out? What are your favorite movies or books? Hobbies?

Stephen King ... he creeps me out xD I used to love his books, but ever since "Christine" and that book with the animal cemetery or whatever, my mind got over-imaginative and now I get nightmares from reading his books. Weird, I know.

Well, hope you'll enjoy it here, and feel free to PM me if you need any help ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:49 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey =]

Nice to meet you!

I dropped out of college too - I managed a year and four months :D I was studying English literature and English language, but I found both classes completely useless as I really only liked English for creative writing. My teachers were like 'you'll regret it' but since then I've written three books and have gained a literary agent. I'm not giving up until I get published!

YWS has helped develop my writing skills so much...I've only been on here for a month, but already I feel like my writing had improved tenfold!

I'm sure you'll get on great here :D Everyone is so nice so don't hesitate to ask if you have a question!

I've never read anything by Stephen king but my friend has...he writes horror doesn't he? What genre do you write?

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 pm
BigBadBear says...

Yes, Stephen King is an amazing author, and I've made a goal to read all his novels this year. So... yeah.

Welcome to YWS!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 pm
tori1234 says...

Hey it's nice to meet you! Our dear Rosey already went over the rules for you, so I won't bore you with repeating them! So......what did you study in college? I'll be going in five years, so it's nice to learn about it now. You'll find YWS a very nice place to post work, review work, and just to hang out and socialize!

I'll try to review everything you post on here!

Have a fantastic day!

God Bless!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm
Aquaman21385 says...

Hey people!,

Thanks for all the great responses. Yeah I studied English too and I absolutely agree with xDudettex my classes felt completely unrelated to my interest in writing and sense I was paying for everything on my own with no help I decided not to spend any more time or money on classes that won't help me develop as a writer.

My favorite movies? that's a hard one to pin down. The only movie I ever recommended someone see was The Dreamers. I love that movie!

And as far as Stephen King is concerned I think he's amazing and not all of his stuff is horror he did a collection of short stories with a couple of non horrors in there my favorite of those was everything's eventual which is also the title of the book.

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:56 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Welcome to YWS, Aquaman! I see that you've already been informed on the rules, but here's some other friendly tips:

1.) Grammar, spelling and punctuation should be checkeded with each post. This is mainly emphasizing what Rosey said about chat-speak. She said some of the people on this site flip out when they see it and I'm certainly one of them. ;)

2.) Don't be afraid to ask questions and make friends. YWS is a community of all friendly writers.

3.) Write away!

So you enjoy Stephen King? I've heard his novels give you nightmares, but they're all very well written. I'll have to remember to pick up one of his books someday, but not read them in the dark. So you want to write what he likes, horror? Well we have a pretty good horror writing forum in the Fiction section.

If you ever need any reviews, feel like talking, or have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS! I am Winter.

Stephen King? I've never read any of his books. I'm not really a horror person.

So, besides King, who are your favorite authors? What are your favorites genres to read/write in? I like historical fiction best.

If you have any questions, please PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 am
niteowl says...

Hi and welcome! Since a lot has already been said about rules, info, and such, I won't bother you with that. I'll just give you a gift then run.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt007 :smt004 :smt026 :smt024 :smt016 :smt021 :smt020 :smt027 :smt031 :smt041 :smt059 :smt068 :smt072 :smt064 :smt077 :smt114 :smt084 :smt109 :smt101 :smt083 :smt116 :smt115 :pirate1: :ftw: :smt035
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:37 pm
WaterVyper says...

Heya Aquamanand welcome to our wonderful, wacky, well-meaning, weird, welcoming, wise, witty, wily, wild, and wordy world of YWS! Phew. Think I could cram any other W adjectives in there? Anyway, it's good to see you in YWS. I have to go now, but I can say that you can PM me any time for anything you need. See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:04 pm
Twit says...

Carrie was really, really good. Cujo took too long to get to the point.

:P

Io. Come and do YWS. :D
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

"Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening