z

Young Writers Society

Hey everyone! I'm new :)

Reviews: 3
Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 pm
hopelessromance00 says...

Hey everyone! I just made my account a few days ago, and I didn't know that we have to introduce ourselves here first. Sorry, newbie mistake :p

Hi! My name is Firman, and I'm 16. For some of you, my name must sound so weird. It's cool, 'cause I go through first introductions often (I transferred school many times). But, I still hate the awkward aura that you get when you first introduce yourself ahahaha.
I hope I can meet people who share the same passion for writing like I do, and, at the same time, make friends. So maybe I should tell you a little bit about myself :

1) I love music, especially classical. But I still like pop, alternative rock, soul, and jazz. I play the piano, and I sing in my current school's choir group (I know it's geeky, but I love it).

2) In my spare time I write/read, practice my piano/singing, or just hanging out with friends.

3) I'm random, and somewhat absent-minded. I love a good joke, and I laugh like crazy when I hear one :D

4) I have black hair, and dark brown eyes. People keep saying that I'm short, but I think of it as a compliment.

5) I expect lots of critique and advice. I'm still a writer-in-training, and I need all the help I can get. I hope you guys can share some of your wisdom, and I would really appreciate it and apply it in my writings.

6) Most of my friends hate reading. Some of them had never even opened a book in a long time (with the exception of school textbooks). So, I also want to make friends, while, at the same time, polish up my writing skills.

7) My favorite books are The Twilight series, The Inheritance trilogy, Privilege books, Anthony Horowitz's books, Harry Potter books...well I practically read every book genres, from fantasy fiction to chick flicks, from science fiction to old English literature. But my all time favorite books are, 'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy, and 'Les Miserables', by Victor Hugo.

That's all from me, and PM me anytime :)
Last edited by hopelessromance00 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 pm
Meep(: says...

Hey Fir (can I call you that?)!
Welcome to the YWS family of lunatics and antics :D
Yay! I'm finally first to greet!

Firstly, it is prudent that you familiarise yourself with some rules:
1) Avoid chatspeak and CAPS lock. Keep them to an absolute minimal.
2) Review 2 pieces of works by other writers, whenever you post one of your own.
3) A list of rules can be found at rules.php

In case you're wondering about the coloured usernames:
Grey: The normal, but totally fantastic people of YWS. They rock.
Cyan/Blue: Like me. We're Greeters. We smother the newbies with affection :D
Purple: The Instructors. They give helpful writing tips as well as critiques.
Light Green: Junior Moderators. They assist the Moderators.
Green: Moderators. They help the Admins maintain law and order in our forums. Their juniors tend to take a specific forum, whereas they take on a wider range.
Red: The Admins! 'Nuff said. Nate is our divine Creator :D
Orange: Distinguished members. The name says it all. They're retired Mods & Admins.

Cool! From 1 to 6, we have a lot in common. A lot.
Can't agree on the Twilight Series though ;)

~Feel free to PM me if you have any questions,
And have a nice day! :D
Meep(:
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:01 pm
Hannah says...

Hi, Firman! ^_^ Welcome to the site. ^_^ I'm Hannah~

In addition to what Meep said about rules, be sure to rate any works you end up posting, okay? ^_^ I think that's in the rules, but if you rate your work, then it is allowed to show up on the front page, where lots of people will see it and potentially read it. =D If you rate it R though {which you have to if it has graphic scenes or the F-word}, it won't go up.

Anyways...

5) I expect lots of critique and advice. I'm still a writer-in-training, and I need all the help I can get. I hope you guys can share some of your wisdom, and I would really appreciate it and apply it in my writings.

6) Most of my friends hate reading. Some of them had never even opened a book in a long time (with the exception of school textbooks). So, I also want to make friends, while, at the same time, polish up my writing skills.

:D
You've come to exactly the right place! I definitely can identify with having no friends that are really into the same kind of thing. >_<; I mean, kind of, but I think that's mostly my fault. After I kind of shoved one of my short stories at everyone and asked them what they thought, they were okay about it, but I don't know how often I can do that before they all turn on me. <_<

But the people here are definitely different. Everyone is eager to read and share and write and improve their writing, so you won't be disappointed! ^_^

Anyways, that being said, let's be friends! ^_^ Feel free to PM me any time you want to talk or any time you need a piece reviewed. I love critiquing pieces, so don't be shy! ^_^

Hopefully I'll see you around.

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:10 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey, nice to meet you :D
Welcome to YWS!

Wow, you covered everything. I don't have anything left to ask :o

To 4) I'm really short, too, but I call that space-saving :D Not a bad thing, although sometimes I wish I was taller, like when people think I'm in middle school -_-

Excellent choice to come here for feedback :D I can assure you, you'll improve here a lot!

Yikes, 'War and Peace'! I attempted to read it when I was 15 and I already got discouraged by the page count! And there was lots of French, which I didn't understand, so I quit halfway through ...
I love Twilight, though - you can tell from my avatar, haha. Not as much as I used to a few weeks ago, but I still like to read some scenes now and then ^^

Well, anyways, PM me if you have any questions or if you've posted something - I'd love to read it! ... Except if it's poetry or fantasy and stuff ^^ I do read Romance and Action, though ;)

Have a fun time around!
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just to clear up what a review is, it must be about two lines long. If it's not long enough, it doesn't count as a "review." The nice part is, the longer you can make your reviews, the better you get at spotting mistakes in your own work. ^_^

As you can tell from a lot of the rules, YWS is full of win-win stuff like that. The more you review, the more people review your stuff, cutting down on chat-speak not only makes us happy but it improves grammar, all that good stuff. :D

To 1)- Classical? Yay! Ever heard of Josh Groban? ^_^

To 3)- We're all random here. :)

To 7) Inheritance is my favourite too. :D Fantasy is where I live (unless it's vampire/werewolf related), and romantic fantasy is my favourite too. ^_^

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Thanks for all the positive replies guys! I really appreciate it, and I think I'm gonna like it here in YMS. I finally get to hang out with people who doesn't get all confused and awkward when I talk about War and Peace. The only person in my school who shows genuine interest when I talk about it, is only my literature teacher ahahaha. Oh, and I try to manage my time between writing and studying, so maybe I'll try to find time to upload some of my writings in YWS.

Thank you :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

xD Yeah, that happened to me in school. The most fum people to talk to where my teachers. :P But, YWS is wonderful for finding fellow geeks. ^_^

If you're worried about harsh reviews, say something like: "This is my first work posted, please don't be too harsh" at the beginning/end of the work (as an Authors Note, also called an A/N) then we'll be happy to comply. :D
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 am
Windy Silvermist says...

Hey Fir!!!

I just jioned today and I don't know if you want advice from a 13 year old ( Urrgh I just turned thirteen a couple days ago I can't get used to it it sounds so agnsty) Anyway I'm nobody special but whats up anyway!! I mean I've never even read War and Peace but I'm sure someone nows the plot because I'm clueless, I'm more of a fantansy person anyway. Hey hope you enjoy it here I'm looking forward to seeing your posts.

-Windy
“The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions are precisely one's life.”

"You must ask for God's help. ... After each failure, ask forgiveness, pick yourself up, and try again."
-C.S. Lewis

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:46 am

Hey Windy! Of course I'll take your advice! I take advices from anybody who's willing to share their wisdom with me ahahaha :P Be seeing you around, and expect PMs from me soon!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm
WaterVyper says...

Ooh, I know a Firman. I haven't seen him in recently, and he's moved already, in sixth grade, I think. Just to be sure, have you been to SD Mentari?

Anyway, good to meet you Firman. Arthur Horowitz? I've heard of an Anthony Horowitz, but not an Arthur. I can see that you're quite an avid reader. Most of my friends dislike reading with a passion. When I brought a book to school- it was only a hundred pages!- they went like, "Emily, another book?"

Eh. I like singing and piano too, though the first is a well guarded secret. Ssh. Don't tell anyone. I'm in Grade 4 going to 5 in piano. You?

Well, good to meet you Firman. Hope to see you around YWS. See ya! Feel free to PM me for anything you need.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Nice to meet you too! :) Ooh SD Mentari, I know some people there, but I haven't seen them recently. Some of them were old friends of mine in primary school. Do you know a Shabrina/Shaby ? ahahaha I've never been there though.

Anthony Horowitz! That's what I was going to write, but then I was juggling between Arthur and Anthony. So, I picked Arthur. It's supposed to be Anthony Horowitz. My god, so embarrassing. Thanks for correcting my mistake. Yeah, I know! They were all looking at me with that why-do-you-always-read-a-book stare, and it feels so uncomfortable, I mean, so what if I like to read books?

Grade 4? Wow, a senior. I'm still grade 2 going to 3 in piano. I always fail the theory exam, and when I do, the teacher always complains. haha annoying.

It was good to meet you too!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm
WaterVyper says...

Yes, I know Shaby. In the Mini-Olympics, I can still remember the cheer she made for the Red Team. Just so you know, we have four different teams. The Red Team, which always seems to win, the Blue Team, who isn't that good or bad, the Green Team, who is a bit less than the Red Team, and newcomer Orange Team. And this is how the cheer goes:

This is the way we stomp Green Team,
Stomp Green Team, stomp Green Team.
This is the way we stomp Green Team
in this Mini-Olympics.

This is the way we crush Blue Team,
Crush Blue Team, crush Blue Team.
This is the way we crush Blue Team
in this Mini-Olympics.

This is the way we squeeze Orange,
Squeeze Orange, squeeze Orange.
This is the way we squeeze Orange
in this Mini-Olympics.

This is the way the Red Team wins,
Red Team wins, Red Team wins.
This is the way the Red Teams wins
in this Mini-Olympics.

Sung to the tune of 'The Wheels on the Bus' or something like that. And there's another one, but it's kinda repetitive. This is the one that's stuck in my head. Shaby's doing well. Know any other people? I can provide updates, I think. And what school are you from?

Well, nice to meet you, Firman.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket