z

Young Writers Society

Well, any advice?

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 am
Dearie says...

So, I'm new to YWS. (obviously :wink:)
I enjoy pretzels, writing, people, and music, in-fact, I play the piano. And quite well, if I do say so myself.

Any advice on where and how to start out on this site?
It's a tad large and more than a little daunting.

Peace. Love. Dearie.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:12 am
Insomnia says...

Hey, Dearie.

What sort of things do you write? Also, when did you start playing piano? *nosey*

It's true, it can be a bit daunting when you first start on the site. There are about a million things you can do, but hopefully you'll have a look through most of them during your time here. You're going to have a lot of fun and meet a lot of insane, awesome people. ;)

First off, I'll give you a rule: For every piece of writing you post, you have to review/critique at least two by other authors. This helps us keep a good balance of reviewing.

Now that's out of the way, you can have some fun. There are a heap of forums you can go to meet people, some of them just for entertainment. Not everything is entirely serious on here. You can make a lot of friends on the site. Everyone's friendly to the newbies, and about 97% of us don't bite.

Or you could get onto reading and reviewing straight away. Remember, the more you review, the more likely people are to review your writing. You'll become more familiar around the forums.

Anyway, that's all you need to know right now, I think. If you have any questions, PM me sometime. If you want a review, click the link in my signature or PM me about that, too. There are a heap of people around who'll help you out if you have a problem, and there's a mentor system I'm part of to help out new members.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic20053.html

That's the link to it, so if you want anyone to show you around the site, have a look at the thread and find someone who has some of the same interests as you.

Hope you have a great time on the site!

-Mat :)

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:46 pm
Princess says...

Hey Dearie! Welcome to YWS!

Ah, a fellow piano player! I've played piano for about 6 years. How many years have you played? Also, your username is adorable! *snugs*

So, what do you write? If you ever want any of your work to be reviewed by me, pm me!

Here is my advice to you: When you join YWS, it seems really big and scary. But soon, you will make tons of friends, just like you do at school. This website is one big community of writers. Everybody knows everybody :lol: At my house, I am the only person interested in literature, but on YWS there are over 8,000 people interested in the same thing as me! It's so awesome! So don't be scared or intimated by such a big site. We are soo happy to be getting new members! No worries, you will fit right in!

So, you see how my name is purple? That is because I am an Instructor. My job is to critique people's work fully and very in detail. There are other jobs on YWS too. There is the Greeters. They're the blue names. As you can see from their names, their job is to greet new members. Those are the only two jobs that you can apply for, but, it is a good idea to wait to apply until you have greeted, reviewed, and been on the site for over a month. There are also Jr. Moderators(light green people) who help moderate the literary forums, and Moderators(deep green people), who all around moderate, and the Administrators(deep red) who run the site.

If you ever need any help around the site, just ask! I love helping out!

-Princess

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Mars says...

Hey Dearie! Welcome to the site! (I like pretzels too.)

If you've already browsed the forums, I suggest usergroups (up at the top, under Groups). You can find one for pretty much anything, from Star Wars to Character Development to Poetry Inspiration, and if you want, you can create your own as well.

Also! You have your own blog! Up at the top, the button that says Blogs, you can update your own, or check out other members'. It's nice to have somewhere just to stream-of-consciousness when you need to.

So, who are your favorite authors? Books? Plays? Movies? Do you write fiction, poetry, both? What genre? We're quite nosy here, so you'll have to tell us a bit more about yourself! ;-)

If you ever have questions or need a critique, don't hesitate to PM me! Again, welcome to YWS.
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:34 pm
Dahlia says...

I'm new here, and I love pretzels and the piano! I can't say much though, but welcome you. :D
Do you want a critique by Dahlia? If so, Click here!

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm
lucyy says...

Heyy, there Dearie (cute name by the way) and welcome to YWS!!

Hmm, what else to tell you... Let's go with a subject I got my Purpleness for - reviews!! So, for a review to count, it needs to be roughly 250 charcaters or 6 lines. You have to make sure your reviews are helpful to the writer, and that it will help them to improve, but always stay encouraging also!! We don't want to put off our talented writers!! (:
Also, in the Community section, there is a 'Will Review For Food' Subforum, where lots of people advertise their reviewing skills - so if you're in desperate need for a review, head over there :D.

So, how are you enjoying the site so far? Once you get past how big the site is, you'll have an awesome time here and slip right in!! :D

Preztels, eh? What kind - sweet or savoury, or both?? =P Also, what do you like to write and what books do you read? What kind of films do you like to watch?

Can't wait to hear more form you, and I hope to see you around some time (:
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm
Demeter says...

Hey, Dearie!

You know, your username is the best ever! (Besides my own, of course. :P) Welcome to YWS! We're a bunch of happy and friendly weirdos, so come on in and join along! Am I making too many question marks here? ;)

At first the tremendous size of YWS scared me a little, and I didn't quite know where to start and what to do. And in fact, I've only recently discovered some features of YWS, though I'm not a new member anymore! I love the versatility around here, and I also like that there are forums for plain chatting along with the vast literary forums. YWS is pretty much the greatest place ever invented :) Thanks to Nate, our amazing admin, who struts around with a red name.

I'm a pianist, too! How long have you played, and what kind of songs you like to play the most? I really like playing it, but I know I should practice more. And my mom agrees... ;)

Well, Mat already mentioned the Mentor program (aka. Buddy System), but I thought I'd re-point it out, since it's indeed great for people who still feel a little lost here. It's definitely worth checking out! :) I'm a part of it, as well.

So, tell us a little more 'bout you! Anything you like, we're very curious :) Okay, I am.

I hope you find your time enjoyable, and PM me anytime on anything! See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:12 pm
Juniper says...

Hey Dearie! Welcome to YWS!

You have such a sweat username! Pretzels are just fabulous. Especially thin ones and large, soft pretzels. Yummy...

Piano! Wow, that's great! I've recently started playing a little here and there-- I'm pretty much next to useless. I can only play Happy birthday, Jingle Bells, and Beauty and the Beast. How long have you been playing?

Hmm... advice on how to start out here? That's easy!

First off, you can choose a mentor here: topic20053.html

A mentor is someone who will help you out around here for an entire month. They will help you by reviewing your work, explaining anything you need help on, and just being a friend to you. They're pretty fantastic people, too. Just choose one that shares a common interest with you (or sounds interesting to you) and drop them a PM!

For starting out, just browse the forums! Leave a message or a review here and there-- just enjoy yourself. You're not being pressured to do any strenuous work around here, dear, so just relax and enjoy the scenery... if words can be scenery.

So! Basically, everyone has talked about all of the important stuff that YWS has, but let me blabble a bit about the cool stuff :D.

We have blogs! If you like blogging, this is perfect for you :D. You can create your own and just ramble and rant as much as you like to! Also, you can comment on other peoples' blogs and just see what's going on. Really fun stuff, if you ask me.

Every profile has a guestbook, so it's fun to just run around YWS and leave your signature in people's guestbook. Major, major fun :D.

Oh yeah! At the top of every literature piece, there's a little star. You can click it to give the piece a "gold star"; basically voting it to be up on the featured works page. So, if you really like a piece, hit that star!

If you have any other questions about YWS, feel free to PM me! Or, you can post them here, and we'll answer them!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello, Dearie! (I like your username. I call people "dear" and "darling" a lot, so this will be good.)

Yum, pretzels. As you can tell, I share your love of music. I've picked out a few tunes by ear on the piano, but my mother plays wonderfully.

Has anyone told you about the 2:1 ratio? You must review two pieces of work for every one of your own you post. Keep that as law. Also, no chat speak.

What type of writing do you like to do? PM me! I'd love to get to know you. Hehe.

Bye!
Music. :)
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm
How2EataRhesus says...

Hello Dearie, and welcome to YWS. As you can see, we really like greeting people. :]

I LOVE those little mini pretzels that are salted and have frosting on top. They're addicting and taste sort of like Take 5 bars. :) I also like writing and people; everyone does on YWS, no? It's a society of writers, after all. ;]

Anyway, as I said, welcome to YWS, and don't let our somewhat overeager welcomes scare you away, alright? =)
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon