z

Young Writers Society

Im new as well

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 am
AnnaF13 says...

Hi I'm Anna, and I just find this forum while making a search for "young writers"
This site looks really nice. I am from Canada and speaks and write both in French and English.

I started writing short stories and thoughts a few years back just for fun, and lately I was looking for a place to post some of them. Well, I think I found the right forum.

Thanks..

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:35 am
Princess says...

Hey Anna and welcome to YWS!

The basic rules for the site are very easy to follow.

1. For every story that you post, you have to do two reviews. Its common courtesy :wink:
2. No chat speak please! We are a site of (mostly) sophisticated writers, and we will act like such :lol:
3. Have fun!!!

So, what kinds of stories do you write? If you ever want any of your work reviewed, pm me!

You see my purple name? That is because I am an instructor. I help out members with their work and give helpful tips. There are others, like Greeters(blue), Jr. Moderators(light green), Moderators(dark green) and the administrators(red).

So, what is your favorite movie? Book? Food? :D

See you around!

-Princess

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 am
Evi says...

Hey Anna! How you doing? Believe me-- you've come to the right place if you want to post some of your work. And, the awesome thing about YWS is that we are specifically dedicated to help you improve your writing. As well as being uber-helpful in our critiques and comments, we're also a really friendly community with tons of great people.

So, the most important rule here on YWS is the 2:1 ratio, as Princess explained. This means that for every piece of writing you post on here, you must review at least two other works on YWS. It's easy, no worries. ;)

See how Princess and I have purple names? That means we're Instructors; we are the ones to go to if you need a critique or want some writing tips. The friendly people with blue namaes are Greeters, and they're the people you might want to PM while you're first learning your way around the site; their job is to help new emembers feel welcome and such.

When reviewing other people's work, be sure to use contructive criticism and examples! A review of 'OMG this totally sucks' is not a constructive review, lol, so steer clear of those. ;) If you need help on starting to review, PM me or any other purple person and we'll set you right on track.

So, tell us about yourself? What do you like to do besides writing?

See you around, dear!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 am
Juniper says...

Hey there Anna! Welcome to the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful lands of YWS.

I'm June, and I'm going to give you a tour of these lands. Here we go:

The homepage is the town square. All of the latest posts, submissions and everything else and broadcasted there, that way, you get to know all that's going on at once. On the big screen, you'll see some of the featured works (works that are outstanding), and towards the bottom, you will see members who are currently in town.

There's your house, also known as your profile. You can hang a pretty picture there by changing your profile picture. People can come to your house and leave messages for you in your guestbook, or send you a private message. You can also leave your IM addresses there for when someone needs to reach you when you're out of town.

If you head towards "Read and review" you will find several streets leading away from town square. These are the forums, where you post your literature. You will see a brief description of each on the outside, and once you head down that road, you can window-shop before entering one. Once inside, you can read all of the poems and leave your comments on it. (Review).

And, this is how you earn your living here! By reviewing, you can money-- or points-- and then, you can spend them to post your own literature and stuff. It's really fun.

Also! We have a community center! Just hit the community forums button, and you will see the list of places we have here. I believe you came here first, since that's where new members report to. After introducing yourself, you get welcomed and smother with hugs and stuff. It's fun :D.

And! In the community center, you'll find rooms like The Lounge, or Randomness. They're exactly what it says-- the lounge, and randomness. You never know what you'll find in randomness, but, you'll find the members relaxing in the lounge. Sometimes, they're busy, but at other times, we get together in the blue room, also known as the lounge, or chat room, and then talk with eachother. (The chat can only be open when a moderator is present).
Also, in the community center, you will find the information desk; you can go there if you want some information, or read the FAQ. faq.php

And! If you're hungry, and need a review, just go to the will review for food section. It's sort of hidden, so here's the portal to it: forum188.html

Also! You're going to see lots of people walking around in uniforms. The people who wear red are the Administrators/ Junior Admins. They built this place, and deal with all of the technical errors that might arise.

Then, there are those that wear dark green. (Moderators) These are the police or law enforcement officers-- they make sure no laws are broken and all that good stuff. But, they're really nice, too, so if you ever see something wrong, report to them.

And! There are those who wear light green.(Junior Moderators) These are the security guards, so they only have to pay attention to a certain area of the site... Er... town.

And! You'll see some people running around in orange.(Distinguished members) Don't worry, these are just the retired moderators.

Then, there's the purple uniformed people. These are the instructors. They specialize in writing and stuff, and they're often grammar freaks. They'll review your work if you need them to.

Lastly! There's the greeters. These people wear light blue, and they welcome newcomers to the site... er.. town and make sure they feel at home.

Let's not forget the blogs! The blogs are where you can vent, talk, or be absolutely silly. It's sort of like writing on a giant bulletin board, or telling all of your friends there at once :D.

So! I hope I didn't scare you away with the monstrosity of the size of this post, but! Welcome aboard.

Yay for Canada! I think we've got quite a few Canadians on here. Yay for short stories, too! You totally found the right forum to post them.

So! Tell us about yourself! Favorite Author? Favorite genre? Favorite food? Ever had writers block? :D

June

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:20 am
October Girl says...

Hello Anna!! :D haha so I'm not going to swarm you with rules and regulations, we're all here to have fun, learn and become better writers. My name is Max, and I love to talk to new members. I would be happy to help you or just to talk. :D

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:14 am
Claeren says...

Welcome to the Academy fellow writer! Since my colleague {friend} Spring Rain already told you about the other stuff, I'll let you in on a few things that aren't as important but are fun facts to know anyway.

*clears throat*

Firstly, you may have noticed that some people have different ranks/titles above there avatars such as Novice, Writer, or Speaker of the Forum. These titles are decided by the number of posts you've written. The rankings are as follows:

New member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15-49 posts
Writer: 50-99 posts
Senior Writer: 100-249 posts
Novelist: 250-499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts

I find it slight ly daunting with all those big numbers, but I really want to get to Novelist rank, because once you get there, you can create a custom rank/title. Isn't that awesome! :shock:

Also, just so's ya know, Nate runs this site {he's the one with the avatar of a chimpanzee swinging in a tree} so if you have a very urgent request that can only be answered by the creator of the site, he's the man to go to. Also, check out the FAQ and the Official Unofficial Guide to YWS. They're both great plces to find out the stuff you need to know as a new member.

Anyway, see ya!

- Claery

<== Hurry and click, before they all die!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:30 am
Clo says...

Hey Anna! Welcome to YWS!

Wow, people swept in and gave wonderful welcomes, I don't even know what else I can say! But I will say something, because I'm all gabby like that. Your method of finding this site was the exact same method I used to find it -- I just remember googling some phrases like that and VOILA, this site! And this site really has shown to be an asset in improving my own writing and my approach to the writings of others.

What sort of stories do you write? We have a lot of genre forums here -- non-fiction, historical fiction, romantic fiction, fantasy, science fiction, and then there's "Other Fiction" which I'm a particular fan of because I never know what I'm going to find in a story labeled as other! We even do fanfiction here. Yessire, we cater to everyone.

Anyway, what hobbies and interests do you have, besides writing of course?

If you're going to be a member here we need to get to know you. ;) We're all super friendly like that.

Feel free to PM (Private Message) me if you have any questions or need any help on a story. That's what I'm here for!

I hope to see you around the forums!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm
Demeter says...

Hey ho, Anna!

I'm Demeter, welcome to the site! I hope you're having a good time wherever you may be, and I know you are because you have joined the YWS, the amazingest place on Earth. Er... the Web.

I found this site with exactly the same words than you! I typed 'young writers' to Google, and tadah. To date, the results of hitting the 'Search' button that day have been the greatest ever. And probably will be, too. So, you're lucky to have found your way here!

Wow, you're bilingual. I really really admire bilingual people and would like to become one of them someday! I just love languages so much, and I think it's spectacular that some people can communicate fluently in more than just one language. Luckily, I already have one fluent language (Finnish) at the base, I just need to study English very diligently to make it better. :)

Rules have been explained, that's great.

The Chat is indeed a great place for getting to know people and well, to chat! You'll find it on the home page. But the Chat is open only when a Mod or a Jr Mod feels like opening it, and when there are many people online. We all love the Chat, but you must never ask a Mod to open it. Otherwise they'll bite your head off... not to scare you or anything. :D No, really, Mods and Admins are busy people in real life, too, and they have enough to worry and care about without constant 'open the chat!' requests. So when the Chat is open, it's double the fun. :)

By the way, if you still feel like a little lost, or just want to have a special someone to answer your questions and make you feel at home, you can get yourself a Mentor for a month. Your Mentor will also review everything you post here during the month he/she is mentoring you. Just go to the Buddy System thread in this forum, choose a mentor from the list and PM him/her. It's a good way to become involved, too!

So, I hope you're liking it here, and do PM me if you have something to ask or just want to talk or need review. :) I'm here. See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:09 pm
Mars says...

Bonjour Anna! I've never been to Canada, but am (slowly) learning French.

So, short stories, eh? That's wonderful - I've written a few myself, and I'll be happy to review any if you want me to. Do you ever write poetry? We have poetry forums as well as fiction and community forums, so there's a place for everything. ^^

Do you play any sports? Instruments? Who are your favorite authors and books? Movies? We are quite curious here, and you didn't tell us much about yourself! :) What genre short stories do you usually write? Me, I go for surrealism, sometimes surrealist romance. Right now I'm working on a longer surrealist romance type thing, so we'll see how that goes.

If you look at the top, there's a button called Groups, which will take you to YWS usergroups. We have groups for just about anything - from a Star Wars fangroup, to a Debate Group, to a Character Development group, so you'll definitely find one to suit your interests. And if you want, you can create your own!

Anyway, I'll see you around the forums. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything, and welcome to the site!
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 am
AnnaF13 says...

Hi guys
Thank you all for those wonderful welcomes. I would like to know if anyone could review my work.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:58 am
200397 says...

Hey, Anna! Welcome to YWS! I'm 200397 (dumb username, I know) bu I'm known as Sunny, so call me that. If you have any questions (and I mean any questions) just PM me! Or anyone else that's answered this post. We'd all be glad to help you. :D

You speak French! Oh, I so wish I could! My high school only offers Spanish and German, but because my primary novel takes place in Paris, I've been set on French. Maybe you can help me? :lol:

I have a main character named Anna. I think it's a beautiful name (I actually wish it was my name, but we can't have everything.) :D

Again, welcome!

~Sunny

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 am
lucyy says...

Hi there, Anna. Sorry I'm so late greeting you :smt006 . I'm Lucyy (or just lucy, makes no difference really =P ), and it's great to meet you!! *shakes hands energetically* =D

So, you want reviews, eh? Well myself or anyone else in Purple could help you out: it's what we got our awesome title & colour for in the first place!! :D There's also a forum called 'Will Review For Food' where you can request for reviews if you're in desperate need for them. Here's the link: forum188.html ooh, so many choices, eh? That's why we're the best [s]and most addicting[/s] site around!! :smt081

Hmm, what else to tell you :smt017 .... I have found nothing, all us great Purps seemed to have covered things. Ohh!! *jumps up and down as she realises no one has told you this* You see how loads of us Purps are greeting you? Well, we're in a middle of a (friendly) war with the Blues (otherwise known as greeters), and we've swapped jobs for a week: we're greeting whilst the Blues are reviewing!! Awesome stuff, right?? =D

So, you need to tell us more about yourself!! What genre of stories do you like to write? Books you like to read? Music you like to listen to?? :smt020 << like that :D hehe. Please, tell us more about yourself!!

Have great fun around the site, and if you do need any reviews, fdon't hesitate to contact me or any other Purps - make us live up to our titles =P hehe.
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal