z

Young Writers Society

Hi everyone

Reviews: 2
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 pm
writersblock101 says...

Hello. I'm new to the website and to creative writing and a friend of mine told me to try out this website so I'm going to give it a go.
I read all sorts of books,depending on what mood I'm in! I ike light-hearted novels but will gladly read deep,heavy novels aswell.Reading is a paaion.
I love music,also another passion. My genre would be rock. Although i often go to heavy metal and punk.
Even though I enjoy films I am not a big fan of turning books into films as alot of the time the emotion and true meaning of the sotry is lost.
That is a little bit about me,
wirtersblock101

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 pm
Clo says...

Hey Writersblock! Welcome to YWS! :)

Hooray for the recommendation! This is a wonderful site for writers, since you can meet other writers and discuss writing, as well as receive very thought-out and helpful critiques and reviews on your own writing. From positive to negative, reviews come in abundance here, and the fact that others are reading your writing and thinking about it is very exciting.

There are a few rules I must mention. One major one is NO chatspeak, since we're trying to become better writers. ;)

Another is all members must have a 2:1 reviews to post ratio, and before you post any story or poem you may have, you need to review two other works. It's only fair, and reviewing other peoples writing gives you insights on your own writing. I love reviewing. =)

There are usergroups you can join to talk about specific interests, there's a blog section, and community forums, so it's very easy to get to know other writers here!

If you need any help, I'm an instructor (see the purple name?) which means I'm usually available to review and help you with your writing! Feel free to PM (private message) me for anything~

Welcome again, and I hope to see you around the site!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 pm
lucyy says...

Heyy there writersblock :smt006 and welcome to the wonderful YWS family!! :D As Clo said, this is the best site for writers, and I'm glad to see you've taken up on your friend's recommendation!! =D I have to say though, you've come at a slightly crazy time, you see the people in blue should really be here welcoming you, but we've decided to have a war :smt062 (a crazy YWS thing - you'll understand more, the longer you're on here :wink: ), so us purples are greeting you instead, and the blues are doing our job - instructing. Crazy, I know, but quite fun, otherwise I wouldn't get to meet awesome newbies like yourself!! :D

Wow, we seem to have a lot in common here, music is a passion of mine also, and I'm into the whole rock, sometimes heavy metal stuff >> :smt020 oh yeahhh =P. Anyway enough about me!! Tell me more about you - what kind of bands do you rock out to??

I totally agree with you there, a lot of the raw emotions of characters in novels are totally lost in movies: that's why books are the best!! =D

So, what are your favourite books/authors (I know its hard to choose, which is why I put an 's' on the end :wink: ). I instantly want to know more about you, so please, tell, tell, tell!! =D What is your favourite colour? Film? Heck! Give us your life story :wink: hehe.

I'll be keeping my eye out for your reply to these all important questions!! :smt081 << mad Purple person =P

--Lucyy xx

And ooh!! PM me if you need anything/just want to talk =D
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:19 pm
Evi says...

Hello, writersblock, I'm Evi! Love the name, by the way. Join the club. ;)

So, who was the friend who recommended the lovely YWS to you? I'm sure they know what they're talking about. :lol:

Reading is your passion! Awesome. You can join that club, too. 8) YWSers understand that reading and writing go along hand-in-hand, so we're a great site to gush about the book you just read and post your own work! You said you're new to creative writing? Have you ever written anything before? If so, what genres?

Music. Actually, there is a club you can join for music lovers! Check in 'Usergroups' and then scroll through until you find some that seem interesting. UG are great ways to connect with others who share your passions, so go for it! You can also make friends in the process.

I see that our dear Clo has already explained the major rules (no chatspeak and 2:1 ratio) so I'll elaborate on the color ranking system.

See how my name is in purple? I'm an Instructor, which means I am always available for a review if you ever need one. There are a good number of us scattered around the site, so if you need someone to look at your writing, we're the ones to call. :wink:

All those friendly people with blue names as Greeters. Their job is to welcome new members such as yourself, so if you ever need any help getting around the site you can PM them and be taken care of.

Dark green and light green people are Mods. They're the ones who keep everything running smoothly.

So far we have three people in red, and they're our wonderful admins, who are the really important people. :wink: Nate, YWS's creator, is the Head Honcho, and he's in red.

So, what are some of your favorite books? A lot of people on here agree with you about the movie thing. They're just so much better or paper, I know.

Make sure to check out the Chat when it's open-- it's a great way to make friends and get to know people. See you around!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm
Mars says...

Hey, welcome to the site!

As Clo mentioned, some of the members have different colored names. Light blues are Greeters, it's their job to make sure that every new member is welcomed. Purples are Instructors - we give critiques and generally try and help members improve their writing. Light greens are Junior Mods, and darker greens are Mods, and they keep the site from disintegrating into chaos. Reds are admins, that's Nate, our founder, and Meshugenah and Firestarter. Finally, orange members are distinguished members, or retired mods.

I totally agree about movies based on books. I'm always hesitant to see them, I'm afraid I'll be completely disappointed...usually I am. But sometimes they can be okay.

So, you didn't tell us your favorite authors! And as you said novels, I assume you write fiction - do you ever try poetry as well? Either way, I'll be happy to give you a review if you need it! ^^ What are your favorite bands?

Anyway, hope to see you around YWS a lot! PM me if you ever have questions.
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:36 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Hey writersblock (:
I'm Kirsten, and welcome to YWS :) I guarentee you'll have a great time here. xD
YWS can be a bit hard to understand at first as it's so large and... confusing. Worry not, if you need a bit of help you can get a mentor:
Mentors are people that pair up with you for a month, and basically be your friend amongst so many people you don't know, they take care of you for your first month and answer all the questions you may have. We also have the duty of reviewing anything you post here in your first month. If you'd like a mentor, you can go here for more information:

viewgroup.php?f=162

There's lots of us without a buddy at the mo' so you'd get one if you wanted :D

Anyway, you like reading? So do we. What types of books do you like?

Hmm... I don't think you know about the star system, seeing as no one's explained that, I shall take it upon myself to do so *removes hat and bows*

You get stars for doing reviews. What's a review you ask? It's a critique of someone's work, if you want a really good one ask us purple people, if you want an okayish one ask anyone else. I'm kidding! Everyone here's good at reviewing, especially us purps ;)

If you do 5 reviews you get a star
25 reviews = 2 stars
75 reviews = 3 stars
150 reviews = 4 stars
250 reviews = 5 stars

then we get blue stars :D

350 reviews = 1 blue 4 yellow
450 reviews = 2 blue 3 yellow
550 reviews = 3 blue 2 yellow
650 reviews = 4 blue 1 yellow
750 reviews = 5 blue

then it's red :D

850 reviews = 1 red 4 blue
950 reviews = 2 red 3 blue
1050 reviews = 3 red 2 blue
1150 reviews = 4 red 1 blue
1250 reviews = 5 red

If lots of people start hitting 1250 reviews we'll be getting a new colour 8)

So welcome :D
You'll have a great time here.

~Kirsten
for what are we without words and stories?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:59 am
Juniper says...

Hey Writersblock! I'd say welcome to YWS, but I have no idea if welcoming writers block would mean that all of our members get infested with real writers block? We don't want that happening, but! Welcome to YWS anyhow ;).

I'm June! It's so nice to meet you :D. Since the rules have already been explained, I get to talk to you, haha.

So, new to creative writing? That's great. I'm sure there's a lot of people here that will be willing to help you if you need any help with writing -- especially the instructors (the people with purple names). So! If you've got any questions, just send a PM (Private message) to one of us, and we'll take care of it.

And! Also! The 2:1 policy has already been explained ;). All you've got to do is write two reviews. It's just like reviewing a book that you've brought in a store; just give your thoughts on it. However! Reviews around here are often called "critiques" meaning that, we offer constructive criticism.

As critics, we try to point out any errors (spelling errors, grammar errors, mechanical errors, etc.) and give suggestions on a good way to fix it. Then, we often voice our opinions, saying what might have made it better (either removing something or adding something) and finally, we do an "overall" where we voice our overall thoughts of the piece. Praise is welcomed, too-- but not too much ;).

- * -

At first glance, YWS seems large and vast and dense like a jungle, but don't worry, all of the animals here are well tamed. Most of them are kind and friendly, willing to help you if you ever need it.

All it takes is a bit of looking around to get accustomed to this place. The FAQ page (faq.php) can help you out with any questions you might have. However, if it doesn't answer your question, feel free to PM someone to help you. People with colored names are usually the ones who would have an answer. ;)

Post, post, post! But, pay attention to the rules. The more posts you have, the higher your rank goes. Take Kirsten, for example, (Lost_in_dreamland). She's a novelist; meaning that she has at least 250 posts on here.

Once you reach a novelist, you will be allowed to have a custom title. A custom title is the bolded words beneath your name; you can edit that at will.

Any questions? Want to get to know someone? Need a mentor? Just ask anything you have here in this thread, and we will check up on you to assist you.

Welcome aboard! Pull out your pens (or keyboard) and get writing!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:12 pm
Demeter says...

Hey, Writersblock!

Great username! My name is Demeter, and let me greet you today.

*greets*

There.

:) How are you? Hopefully fine! I'm a bit tired at the moment, but I also feel fine, because I'm at YWS and there's no way I'd feel anything lower than fine when I'm here! You'll come to notice why, I promise. ;)

If you're in need of a mentor, a super-great person who'll help you around and review your work, take a look at the Buddy System thread in this forum.

If you'd just like to sit back and chat with people, best places to do so – when our actual Chat is closed – The Lounge and Randomness forums. The Chat isn't indeed always open, but when it is, it's one of the best places to get to know people and have fun!

Yep, you can also create a blog and read other member's blogs. I found this amazing feature only not too long ago, and I really really like it. :)

Well, if you have any questions, just PM me or any other colour-named person. See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:56 pm
writersblock101 says...

Thanks for all the help and rules that you have given me. Hello Lucyy to answer some of your questions(there were a lot!) I like rocking out to Green Day,Paramore,My Chemical Romance,Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet for my Valentine to name a few! When it comes to authors I can not choose because their are so many great writers. Sometimes I enjoy a book by an author and when I read more books by that author I don't like them and I get turned off them. My favourite colour would be black. I would love to find out more about you to Lucyy so all the questions you asked me I would like you to answer(if you can!)I like writing short stories and sometimes poetry. I’m very indecisive,as you may have guessed, so I can’t decide on a favourite either!

Wrtiersblock101

174 Reviews

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 pm
lucyy says...

Heyy there, writersblock, I'm glad you're already feeling welcome, and that you answered those all important questions :wink: hehe.

You seem to have mentioned some of my favourite bands there.. I have Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven as a ringtone on my phone (how cool am I? =P ), and I'm going to a Bullet For My Valentine concert on the 28th March *hops up and down on chair excitedly*, it will be my first gig and I can't wait!! Have you been to any gigs??

Wow, poetry, I haven't ever attempted poetry, but I'm in awe of anyone who can do it, so good for you!! What kind of short stories (genre) would you say is your speciality then?

There are tooo many great writers to mention in one sitting - you're right there, my bookcase is living proof of it :wink: hehe =D.

Anyway, I must be going, as it is nearly bedtime for me where I live, so I'll be checking out your answers to my further questions when I come back... :D

Have a great evening!!
--Lucyy xx

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm
writersblock101 says...

Well night-night. Yes I have been to load of gigs. I go to at least one every year( I hope that doesn’t sound like bragging it wasn‘t meant to be). Make sure you enjoy it! I ATTEMPT poetry and I wouldn't say it is that good but my English teacher likes it so it keeps the grades up! When I'm writing I write little love stories and stories about troubled kids growing up but I could write anything depending on what mood I'm in. I have a little longer to wait before bed but it is coming soon! Looking forward to hearing from you again!
Writersblock101.

174 Reviews

Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 pm
lucyy says...

Wow, who have you been to see?? And, oh I'm sure I will do :wink: hehe, I'm so excited to do the clapping bit at the end of Forever And Always, and of course to hear all the other songs. Blackout and Firestarter are going also (: . Well, when you post a piece of poetry on here (but remember to do two reviews before you do), PM me and I'll take a look. I won't give you a review on it though, as my review will be useless to you (: . But, when you post one of your short stories, PM me for a review and I'll be there like a shot :wink: hehe.

I hope you're having a great day!!
--Lucyy xx

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:02 pm
writersblock101 says...

Trivum, Nickelback,Pink and some others but none of the bigger bands ever play here :(Although my dad said he will bring me to England to see Green Day when they go on tour for their new album! I don't know if I will post my poetry on here because it seems mediocre compared to some other peoples stuff, but we will see. I'm writing something at the moment so I hope to post that soon! I read some of your work last night I think it was the "Title less Story,” I enjoyed it! Has anyone got tips on writing reviews as I am not sure what to say.
writersblock101

174 Reviews

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 pm
lucyy says...

I do indeed have some tips on writing reviews - it's the subject I got my purpleness for :wink:
So, the first thing you need to bear in mind is that your reviews need to be constructive, so as much as you say the writer's work is good, you need to find something that they can work on. That's all I can really say, as it's not for me to tell you how to do a review, as we all have our unique styles of reviewing, but as long as your reviews are helpful, the writer will appreciate them!! Does that help you out? If not, take a look at some of the reviews I and the other purples do (:

Oooh, where do you live then? I live in England (:

I think you should definitely post your poetry on here, beacuse it's what the site's for: improving your work. You post your pieces, and people will give you tips on how to improve etc. If it wasn't for this site, my writing would still be a shambles!! I say, take the risk and post a piece of poetry, but be braced for the honesty though :D

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. Titleless Story is my current working project, that I'm going through a phase of writers block, but I'm writing other stuff, hoping the block will be removed :wink: hehe.
--Lucyy xx

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:07 pm
writersblock101 says...

I live in Ireland. Thanks for the advice. I already posted a poem so I will wait and see what happens!

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides