z

Young Writers Society

Salvete, amici!

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 pm
View Likes
TJEvans says...

I'm not entirely sure of amici in that title, but enough that I'm willing to post. Anyone know if it should possibly be amice?

Anyhow, salvete (Latin; hail, welcome, farewell) to you all! My name is Tanner John Evans. I am a Junior in High School, and have been an avid reader/writer since I was a very young child. While literature isn't my only area of interest (not even close), it is one of the most developed ones for me. I am a long-time member of the internet, and during that time have never gone a day where I haven't typed as I do now, albeit with less finesse in my earlier years.

I am, for the most part, a poet, at current. While I do so love writing longer things, I am still a teenager, and do not have the patience for long-term projects--yet. I do write the occasional short story, but these are almost always rather short.

I could be considered an ace of many trades. I have a love of learning which has inspired my inseparable relationship to literature, as well as my ability to explain scientific, mathematical, and philosophical reasoning behind many things which most don't bother to think about. No, I don't sit around and read obscure information, but I do tend to soak up information, and I've admittedly a skill for guessing--correctly--at how certain things work. Yes, that's a boastful statement, but it means nothing if I don't work hard to use my potential in life, which is the issue I'm tackling at current.

I'll note here that if you ask me for technical grammar rules, I will not be able to give you an answer--I never learned the terminology or the guidelines. I started reading at a very young age, and my use of the English language is based off of years of learning by example: I can know when something is wrong, but I could not tell you why, most of the time. The feel of the language is impressed so strongly into me that I'm almost afraid to actually learn the true rule-set, lest that interfere with my current sureness which I attribute to close contact with English. I write how I write because it feels like that is how it should be. I've been told I have a strong sense of flow and rhythm about my writing, apparently a rare quality, but I think it's something we're all capable of.

Now that I've ranted for long enough, I'll go off and review a tad. Valete, amici!

Yours truly,
Tanner John Evans

Post Scriptum: I also adore punctuation. Get used to it. :P
Last edited by TJEvans on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

First of all: Welcome to YWS, Tanner!

Secondly, I must say that I was in the middle of a chemistry problem and I only came on to YWS to sooth my addiction (I'm on here like every 30min it seems) but then I saw the Latin in your post, and I had to see what the post was. Don't get me wrong, I hate Latin with a burning passion but the title intrigued me to click.

And here I am, taking another 5 min or so (It takes me a long time to post. I type fast, I just have to figure out what I have to say, edit, delete etc etc) away from my chemistry homework. Oh well...

So yes, back to my first point. Welcome to the nut house! haha don't be afraid when you become addicted just like I am.

I'm not one to remind of the rules so I'll leave that to the other people bound to come parading over here to greet you as well.

I like to ask questions. Nothing serious and we're all a [s]stalkerish[/s] friendly bunch.

1. Favorite color?
2. Favorite movie?
3. Favorite author?
4. If you could be an animal, what would you be?
5. What is your favorite subject in school (lunch is not included)?

haha I look forward to seeing your answer to #4. I would be an owl, raven, or platypus. ^^

Well anyway, as you can see from my post, rambling is accepted and encouraged here.

See you around!
JC
Oh yes, allow me to introduce myself. I'm JC. *shakes hand* Nice to meet you.
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:52 pm
Shauni says...

Hi there! Shauni here! Welcome to YWS, we all all very friendly. Here are the basics rules of YWS, that you MUST know:

1. You have to keep a 2:1. That means for every post you make (your work) you need to make a least to reviews. (critique other people's work)
2.Use proper punctuation and capitalize words. We take the grammar very seriously here, no chat speak because we are all writers here, Okay?

Done, these are the basics!

*gives a cookie* Take it and enjoy it, people here love cookies, so I hope you love them too!

Just one more thing:

Some people have coloured names, that's because they have "jobs":

The blues are the greeters; they are responsible to greet everyone and if you need something or have any question, ask them.
Purple: Well, those are the instructors. They help you with your work. They critique and review it so that you can improve your work.
The light greens are the junior moderators; they that care of certain forum.
Dark green: They take care of us, they boss us.
Red: The YWS administrators.
Orange: Distinguish members: Like the name says it, they are distinguish by their writing, reviews or anything they have gone greatly on the YWS.
Last but not least: The black ones, US (in general). These are the regular members, the ones that post, review and comment but don't wanna have a job. :D
See, the YWS is almost like a rainbow!

That's everything. Have a great time here and enjoy!

Anything just PM anytime, anywhere for any reason (even just to say"hi"!)!

Shauni

Random avatar

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm
TJEvans says...

thefireinmeisJC wrote:First of all: Welcome to YWS, Tanner!

Secondly, I must say that I was in the middle of a chemistry problem and I only came on to YWS to sooth my addiction (I'm on here like every 30min it seems) but then I saw the Latin in your post, and I had to see what the post was. Don't get me wrong, I hate Latin with a burning passion but the title intrigued me to click.

And here I am, taking another 5 min or so (It takes me a long time to post. I type fast, I just have to figure out what I have to say, edit, delete etc etc) away from my chemistry homework. Oh well...

So yes, back to my first point. Welcome to the nut house! haha don't be afraid when you become addicted just like I am.

I'm not one to remind of the rules so I'll leave that to the other people bound to come parading over here to greet you as well.

I like to ask questions. Nothing serious and we're all a [s]stalkerish[/s] friendly bunch.

1. Favorite color?
2. Favorite movie?
3. Favorite author?
4. If you could be an animal, what would you be?
5. What is your favorite subject in school (lunch is not included)?

haha I look forward to seeing your answer to #4. I would be an owl, raven, or platypus. ^^

Well anyway, as you can see from my post, rambling is accepted and encouraged here.

See you around!
JC
Oh yes, allow me to introduce myself. I'm JC. *shakes hand* Nice to meet you.

Okay, now that's just scary.

Actually, I tried Spanish 1, and hated it. Now I'm doing Latin, and liking it. Funny, since Spanish is based on Latin.

It's all right--I'm terrible at doing my homework, as well.

1. Blue, like my eyes. Yes, growing up with very, very blue eyes, the color naturally became my favorite. Sue me.
2. Oh, I don't watch them that often. When I do, it's something like Armageddon, The Day After Tomorrow, Kingdom of Heaven, or, admittedly romantic "chick" movies. I'm such a softy.
3. Oh, no one should be able to answer that here! I'm primarily a science fiction or fantasy reader, but I do quite often stray to Koontz when I feel the need. Inside sci-fi/fantasy, it comes up somewhere with Orson Scott Card, Robert A. Heinlein, Tamora Pierce, or Tolkien. There are a lot more, but I don't want to be all day about it.
4. Scarily--very scarily--you chose some of my possible answers. I've been seen as an owl quite often, though I prefer the nobility of an eagle, even if I am so committed to scholarly pursuit that owl definitely fits. Platypi (I don't care if it's wrong) have always been interesting to me, because I did a project on them in, like, fourth grade. The male ones have enough poison in the thumbs of their back feet to kill a small dog and put a human under the weather for a good long while.
5. Another scary thing: Chemistry. Half because Chemistry is so amazingly awesome and challenging to the mind, but also because the extremely large amount of questions even the simplest scientific discussions make me spew are ones that most teachers would never know how to confront, but my current Chemistry teacher is a lot like me, so he can explain just about anything. I've long torn my hair out at having classes with people my age who don't have the same abiding love of science and ability to ask every question they can think of.

It was very nice to meet you!

Shauni wrote:Hi there! Shauni here! Welcome to YWS, we all all very friendly. Here are the basics rules of YWS, that you MUST know:

1. You have to keep a 2:1. That means for every post you make (your work) you need to make a least to reviews. (critique other people's work)
2.Use proper punctuation and capitalize words. We take the grammar very seriously here, no chat speak because we are all writers here, Okay?

Done, these are the basics!

*gives a cookie* Take it and enjoy it, people here love cookies, so I hope you love them too!

Just one more thing:

Some people have coloured names, that's because they have "jobs":

The blues are the greeters; they are responsible to greet everyone and if you need something or have any question, ask them.
Purple: Well, those are the instructors. They help you with your work. They critique and review it so that you can improve your work.
The light greens are the junior moderators; they that care of certain forum.
Dark green: They take care of us, they boss us.
Red: The YWS administrators.
Orange: Distinguish members: Like the name says it, they are distinguish by their writing, reviews or anything they have gone greatly on the YWS.
Last but not least: The black ones, US (in general). These are the regular members, the ones that post, review and comment but don't wanna have a job. Very Happy
See, the YWS is almost like a rainbow!

That's everything. Have a great time here and enjoy!

Anything just PM anytime, anywhere for any reason (even just to say"hi"!)!

Shauni

Believe me, I'm a lifelong, and vehement, advocate for proper grammar on the interwebs. No need to warn me. :P I also tend to read rules, so I've already accomplished two reviews and haven't yet decided an item to post.

Thanks for the reminder, though.

Sincerely,
Tanner John Evans

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hello hello!

The rules have been nicely explained. I'll just add one more thing here:

Rated works are what YWSers like to see. If you rate your works, and it's not rated R, then it will show up on the front page of YWS. You might get more comments out of it. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Tamora Pierce! My favourite author of all time. ^_^ I've read a good chunk of her books. The only ones I haven't read are the Trickster books and anything in Circle of Magic (well, I've read Sandry's book, but that was years ago)

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:47 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

haha at first when you said that my post was scary, I thought you meant that I was scary. And I felt a tad insulted but then I saw that you meant the similarites were scary and not me so then I felt better again^^

Ahhh, to some I'm a science nerd. To myself, I'm just smart and happen to have a liking to biology (genetics in particular). So, yes science is my favorite subject though I don't want to go into research or anything. (I want to be a missionary doctor lol)

Anyways that had nothing to do with anything...

Maybe you like hard things. Spanish is much easier than Latin. I wish I could switch foreign languages but I'm in my last year so it would be stupid to switch now. I'm not really into learning any foreign language actually...

I like silver. Though my eyes aren't silver :wink: they're brown.
I'm a Narnia fan all the way. I'm sorry but I have to ask, do you like Twilight? I'm an official Twilight hater but your "chick flick" comment made me ask.
I don't have a fav author per se but I stay in suspense, thriller, and mystery.
Oh yeah, I hate chemistry. Sorry : - ) bio is so much better.

haha its nice to meet you too!

JC
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

Random avatar

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:58 pm
TJEvans says...

thefireinmeisJC wrote:haha at first when you said that my post was scary, I thought you meant that I was scary. And I felt a tad insulted but then I saw that you meant the similarites were scary and not me so then I felt better again^^

Ahhh, to some I'm a science nerd. To myself, I'm just smart and happen to have a liking to biology (genetics in particular). So, yes science is my favorite subject though I don't want to go into research or anything. (I want to be a missionary doctor lol)

Anyways that had nothing to do with anything...

Maybe you like hard things. Spanish is much easier than Latin. I wish I could switch foreign languages but I'm in my last year so it would be stupid to switch now. I'm not really into learning any foreign language actually...

I like silver. Though my eyes aren't silver :wink: they're brown.
I'm a Narnia fan all the way. I'm sorry but I have to ask, do you like Twilight? I'm an official Twilight hater but your "chick flick" comment made me ask.
I don't have a fav author per se but I stay in suspense, thriller, and mystery.
Oh yeah, I hate chemistry. Sorry : - ) bio is so much better.

haha its nice to meet you too!

JC

Oh, I don't stick to Chem. I found myself explaining dedifferentiation earlier today to get pluripotent stems from differentiated somatic cells. I have an abiding love of science in general. Everything is science, though, to me. :P

I haven't read Twilight. As a philosopher, I refuse to accept or reject something based in the statements of others--I couldn't say it was bad or good until I'd read it, which I'm not really planning to.

By chick flick, I mean The Lakehouse, P.S. I Love You, and other such sappy movies. :P I'm lame, and I know it, but whatever.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 am
Meshugenah says...

Salve!

So, I'll admit I saw the Latin and had to look. I'm still sour I have to learn it on my own time (nonexistant) instead of using units at school.

Anyhoo! Hi! I have a bio midterm I should be studying for (which is totally why I was online, to print the study guide!)... right. Anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! If you have any questions, drop me a line! I'm always up for discussion over homework (er, make that instead of. Gotta love the ambiguities of the English language!). Hope you enjoy our little corner of the internet!

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 am
Hannah says...

-shifty eyes-
-slides onto this board NOT stalker-like at all-

I also tend to read rules, so I've already accomplished two reviews and haven't yet decided an item to post.

=D Oh, I remember those reviews. -shifty eyes- They couldn't have possibly been the very kind ones on my two latest poems, could they? Ew, you're taking away my ability to form complete sentences. That was a surprise compliment! SURPRISE! =]

Oh, I don't stick to Chem. I found myself explaining dedifferentiation earlier today to get pluripotent stems from differentiated somatic cells. I have an abiding love of science in general. Everything is science, though, to me. Razz

I haven't read Twilight. As a philosopher, I refuse to accept or reject something based in the statements of others--I couldn't say it was bad or good until I'd read it, which I'm not really planning to.

By chick flick, I mean The Lakehouse, P.S. I Love You, and other such sappy movies. Razz I'm lame, and I know it, but whatever.

Beeeeeehh... I have an unfounded hatred for Chemistry. I think it involves the possibility of forced memorization of TOO MANY things. D: Memorization is not fun for me. My environmental Chemistry class this past semester was lovely though -- I believe I was the top student in the class! =] I'm taking Biology now~

And, you're officially my favorite for A. not forming opinions on things you don't know about and B. watching chick flicks. Definitely respect you for that. =] Yep.

Oh. I haven't contributed anything useful yet {read: at all}. D:

-slips away-

<3

-Hannah-

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 am
View Likes
muffy says...

Hey welcome Evans! Glad you've stumbled upon our happy little lair:D. Hope you find this place as entertaining as I have, I think its hilarious that you can't explain the rules of grammer yet you can tell me if something is wrong. I respect that.lol If you have written any stories what types of stories do you like to write? and poems?

Random avatar

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 pm
TJEvans says...

Hannah wrote:-shifty eyes-
-slides onto this board NOT stalker-like at all-

I also tend to read rules, so I've already accomplished two reviews and haven't yet decided an item to post.

=D Oh, I remember those reviews. -shifty eyes- They couldn't have possibly been the very kind ones on my two latest poems, could they? Ew, you're taking away my ability to form complete sentences. That was a surprise compliment! SURPRISE! =]

Oh, I don't stick to Chem. I found myself explaining dedifferentiation earlier today to get pluripotent stems from differentiated somatic cells. I have an abiding love of science in general. Everything is science, though, to me. Razz

By chick flick, I mean The Lakehouse, P.S. I Love You, and other such sappy movies. Razz I'm lame, and I know it, but whatever.

Beeeeeehh... I have an unfounded hatred for Chemistry. I think it involves the possibility of forced memorization of TOO MANY things. D: Memorization is not fun for me. My environmental Chemistry class this past semester was lovely though -- I believe I was the top student in the class! =] I'm taking Biology now~

And, you're officially my favorite for A. not forming opinions on things you don't know about and B. watching chick flicks. Definitely respect you for that. =] Yep.

Oh. I haven't contributed anything useful yet {read: at all}. D:

-slips away-

<3

-Hannah-

The memorizing stuff kills me, as well. I see the necessity for it, but it's simply not how I learn--one can always look up a formula, but it's the process and concept that I think is important. I don't remember things, but I love understanding things. Even if I can't draw from memory certain parts, I generally know the underlying theorem of it. I've been told that I'm a theoretical learner--I adore the pursuit of understanding, truth, and knowledge, as each new step gives my mind a more diverse outlook on the world. However, I would never be happy trying to find the exact measurements of time and distance that most science requires. That seems like it narrows one's vision rather than broadening it. This is why, as a student, I ask far more questions than anyone else. My mind's always jumping out to separate ideas--so, what if -this- happened? Or this? Every single thing can be linked to something else. It is the totus forma which I am preoccupied with. (Big picture.)

Chick flicks make me smile. I can't help it. Kingdom of Heaven also made me smile, but whatever.

muffy wrote:Hey welcome Evans! Glad you've stumbled upon our happy little lair:D. Hope you find this place as entertaining as I have, I think its hilarious that you can't explain the rules of grammer yet you can tell me if something is wrong. I respect that.lol If you have written any stories what types of stories do you like to write? and poems?

I love it here, already. I swear I've never found such a large base of people who type correctly in my life.

I've not the patience for stories, yet. :P I -did- post a very short one in Fantasy Fiction, though. Poetry is my main venue, at the moment. I'll post some of it after I've reviewed more! :)

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes