z

Young Writers Society

Hey!

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:58 pm
shadowgirl95 says...

Hi, everyone! My name's Leighton, and you could say writing is my way of coping with my insanity. No, seriously. :D I like to write science fiction and humor. I don't get out of the house much, so I just read and write casually. I'm really embarrassed about my writing, as many people where I come from see it as a weird habit. That's why I'm here! I've come to branch out and come out of my shell!

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:04 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hi, Leighton! I'm Music.
Nice to see you've joined YWS! Writing, being honest, makes me more insane. Haha.
So, I'm sure some Greeters and Instructors (they're people with blue or purple names) will lay down the rules for you. I'm just here to say hi. Which I did. Haha.

Anyway, I'd like to know what kind of books you read, more about your writing style, etc. So PM me if you want to!

Bye! *waves hand*
-Music(:
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:24 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, the three main rules are:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. A review is usually about three to six lines long. That way, reviews get spread around a bit more. An added bonus is that people are more willing to look at your stuff if you've looked at theirs. ;) It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.

2- No chat-speak! Some abbreviations are okay, but please post with legible grammar, spelling and use proper caps.

3- Please rate your works. Rated works (unless rated R) show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments out of it. :D Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Hrmm, there are some people here who read/critique/write sci-fi. I'm not one of them, but, that's me.

Who are your favourite authors?

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hiya Leighton and welcome to YWS!

It's great to meet you. I swear, there are new members coming in practically every day and most of them just... peter out and die. I hope you're not one of them. Well, I can't say much right now, since I gotta get to school. Here on YWS, we have a bunch of usergroups, found under the Groups button. These groups are made for people with certian interests so you should check them out when you get the chance. They're really fun to be in.

Anyway, gotta go right now. See ya around sometime! Fell free to use the PM button down there to PM me for anything you need. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:21 am
muffy says...

Thats awsome, glad your here shadow girl! This is definetly the place you'd want to share your writing and improve. You'd be suprised about people who might like to write as well in your area, I used to feel the same way. Your never alone in a popular interests like writing, especially here.lol hope you have fun:D!

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:11 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey Leighton!
Awesome you found YWS and welcome :D

Haha, I know what you mean. My parents keep looking at me weirdly when I have a flash and keep typing furiously ^^
But you don't have to be embarrassed about what you write. You could post it here and I can assure you, the guys here are really nice and they help you lots :D Course, some reviews might sound really harsh, but just remember that they just want to help you to improve ;)
If you ever decide to post something, let me know ^^

Hope you'll enjoy it here ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 pm
lucyy says...

Hi there, shadowbox!! *waves* Great name, by the way =D

So... what can I tell you about YWS...? Oooh!! What are all these colourful people about?? Well, let me tell you: Administrators (in red) are the awesome people who run the site. Then there are the Green people - Moderators - who help keep the site running, make sure threads are in the right places etc, if you have any urgent questions about the site, they're the ones to contact!! Then there are the Junior Moderators in light green, who help the Moderators out. Then there are these awesome Purple people (like me =D) who hang around the literary forums giving in-depth critiques and advice - aren't we just so amazing? Then there are the Greeters, who are dressed in blue, who's job it is to great you newbies and show you around the site!!

Then there are the forums: the Literary Forums are where all writing is posted, and is the main area of this whole site!! Then there's the Community Forums which is great for hanging out, and meeting new people. There's even a 'Will Review For Food' Subforum where people offer their services to review your work: awesome, eh?

So, why am I greeting you, even though you've been a member for a couple of weeks? Well, it's because as an Awesome Purple I like to be thorough and make sure you know all the important stuff that needs to be known, and maybe also there's a war going on....*trails off*

So, I think that's all the main points covered - I hope you're enjoying your time at YWS!!
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:51 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

OMG (I'm such a bad example...no chat speak allowed here) you're like my character!!

This is interesting. Anyways, there's a storybook forum here at YWS where someone posts a start of a story/situation and people join to write the story together. Well, I'm in one (titled Boarding School) and my character's name is Leighton. ^^

She plays guitar and would love your avvie. She doesn't think her writing is good (which it is) and is really shy.

haha

Well anyways, welcome!!! I'm JC. *shakes hand*

You didn't tell us about yourself! We're all a friendly bunch. We don't bite [s]well the Twilight lovers might chomp a bit[/s]

Favorites? music, color, book, author, candy...the list goes on and on.

And one more thing:

Rambling is strongly encouraged.

Well thats all for me! Ta-ta! toodles! bye!

JC
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:02 pm
Juniper says...

Hi Leighton! Welcome to YWS!

I'm June! Welcome to YWS! Awesome! You write humor!? That's great! I pretty much fail at humor... there's something about me writing it that just doesn't agree. My stories always come out boring. But! I absolutely love reading humor-- especially when it's super funny.

So! The rules have been gone over already? Awesome! You're all set! I'd love to see some of your work around here, but remember to keep the 2:1 ratio.

Just go to any piece of your choice, and write a review. A review is a rather simple thing; All you have to do is provide the author with positive feedback, and mention some things that you liked about the story.

Alternatively, you can give a critique. A critique is simply where you offer constructive criticism on the piece. You can begin by pointing out any errors the author may have made, offering suggestions on how to correct them. Pay attention to grammar, mechanics, punctuation, and spelling. Then, you can write an "overall", summarizing all that you mentioned above, and then write the review. It's rather fun-- instructors specialize in critiques most of the time; so you are welcome to ask them for reviews anytime!

Also! The more reviews you have, the more stars you have to line up under your name:

Yellow/Gold

5 Reviews = 1 Star
25 Reviews = 2 Stars
75 Reviews = 3 Stars
150 Reviews = 4 Stars
250 Reviews = 5 Stars

Blue Stars:

350 Reviews = 1 Blue Star, 4 Gold Stars
450 Reviews = 2 Blue Stars, 3 Gold Stars
550 Reviews = 3 Blue Stars, 2 Gold Stars
650 Reviews = 4 blue stars, 1 Gold star
750 Reviews = 5 blue stars

Red Stars:

850 Reviews = 1 Red Star, 4 Blue Stars
950 Reviews = 2 Red Stars, 3 Blue Stars
1,050 Reviews = 3 Red stars, 2 Blue Stars
1,150 Reviews = 4 Red stars, 1 Blue star
1,250 Reviews = 5 Red stars

So! If You need any help finding your way around YWS, feel free to PM me, or post your questions here.

Welcome aboard! We're glad you joined!

June :)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

Does anybody else passive-aggressively refresh the page to see if anything you said made it into the quote generator?
— GrandWild