z

Young Writers Society

Um, Hello!

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:30 am
JMSmith says...

Uh, Hello!

I'm very new to the site, I think I have been a member for about 45 seconds so I can't really say much yet but I intend to look around alot, because I have been looking for a site like this for a long time. I'm an aspiring writer, but I have a lot of trouble finding a topic to write about in the first place so I hope to work on that. I'm very picky and critical with myself, and the topics I try to write about (who wants to spend hours writing about something they dont even like that much?!) and I hope to work on that too. I'll need a little (cough cough a lot cough) help with my writing, I'm not too experienced (just a few fanfics here and there) but from what I've seen, thats what you do here! :D

Um, so a little about myself I guess?

I have two little sisters, they are twins and are both 9 months old. Their names are Ashlyn and Alyson.
Alyson is pretty lazy and laid back, she hasnt even crawled yet. She used to be the quiet one but it seems the tables are turning a bit. She's my little ball of sunshine, because most of the time, she is just a pleasant, pleasant baby. Ashlyn is a little terror, and gets into anything she can. She's little goofball, who has had several head injuries in her short lifetime, most of which, were self inflicted. She's already climbing onto things, and seems to have an infaturation with anything that is mine, electronic, and the wood burning stove. We call Alyson usually Aly Cat, and call Ashlyn, Squiggy. Or Squig Tone. Or Squigmiester. Or anything along those lines.

I have a big lazy dog named Molly. She turns 8 on Feb., 26 and she has been mine since she was three months old. I was horrified by her size when we first got her (aka standing on the couch while my mom played with her, but I loved her anyway). She is a shepard-lab-retriever mix, mostly white with a gold strip from the tip of her snout to the tip of her tail, and gold on her ears and paws.

My mom and dad were separated since long before I can remember. My dad had a drug and alchohol problem but he hasnt touched alchohol in years and has recently dropped drugs, and gotten an apartment of his own which is great. My mom got remaried when I was 7 and that ended badly soon after, then she met the father of the twins, Sean. Though they are not married we have lived with him for a few years and they have been together even longer. I don't particularly enjoy his presence but I tolerate him, not that I have much of a choice.

Despite what I might say, my mom is pretty awesome. She's the cool mom, even though she can get a little too protective for me, but she's the roll-around-in-the-dirt-with-the-kids-while-other-moms-drink-coffee type, and I love it.

I'm in the 8th grade, in a public school, and I plan on attending private high school. I have finished my applications (writing all of those essays absolutely SLAUGHTERED my love of writing for a while) and have had 4 acceptances so far, 3 of which I have acedemic scholarships for. I am waiting on the other four to arrive sometime in early March.

I love my friends expecially Briana who encourages my creative side to the extreme. But try as I may, Briana refuses to let out her creative juices, insisting that she is lacking them. HA. We'll see...

Besides writing, I love reading (duh), listening to music, and acting/theatre. I am trying to get into photography and am discovering recently that I have a talent for golf. I have a billion favorite books but one series I will name is Twilight (yeah, I'm one of THOSE people). I listen to every type of music accept rap that swears constantly and I don't normally enjoy country, too much screaming/base, or extremely generic peices unless they are really catchy.

I am from New England, so I get all the seasons which is awesome. Oh for the record, go Red Sox!

If you have read through this rambling autobiography, I thank you deeply and appreciate your patience. :D If you care to know more about me, message me (does this site do that?) or... yeah, message me. Movie/book/tv show/theatre talk? I'm your girl. I'm always looking to talk.

Anyway, I think that's it. Thanks again, and I hope to really like this site.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:54 am
niteowl says...

Hi and welcome JMSmith! Wow, that was a long introduction. I never applied to private high schools, but I can relate to the essay pain. College admissions essays are ridiculous. "Tell us about yourself in 500 words or less." o_O.

Anyway, I suppose that, being the first greeter here, I should tell you about the rules. The two most important are:

1) Keep a 2:1 review:story ratio. This keeps the forums balanced and ensures everyone gets critiqued. Also, a review has to be at least 250 characters (a little under three lines) in order to count under your review total.
2) No chatspeak. We're writers, so we use proper spelling/grammar on the forums. Looks like you do this already though, so don't worry about it. :D

If you have any other questions, the Help and Support section probably has the answer or you can PM me.

Now, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt007 :smt004 :smt026 :smt024 :smt016 :smt021 :smt020 :smt027 :smt031 :smt041 :smt059 :smt068 :smt072 :smt064 :smt077 :smt114 :smt084 :smt109 :smt101 :smt083 :smt116 :smt115 :pirate1: :ftw: :smt035
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 am
Adnamarine says...

Hi! New England ftw!

And theatre! And books (of course)!

But first of all. Welcome to the site!

A couple rules I'm gonna mention. First of all, this is a writing site so you want to use proper grammar at all times, and chatspeak is not allowed.
Secondly, when it comes to reviewing, you need to keep a 2:1 ratio. That means for every story, poem, etc. of your own that you post, you have to do at least two review; the more the merrier. Also, as a new user, please do two review before posting something of yours. You can see all the rules and guidelines here. Please check them out. :D
Where the reviews are concerned, I would suggest taking a look at other people's reviews to get an idea of what they're like (those with purple names are Instructors; they're reviews should be an especially good example), and when you're responding to a story, it actually has to be about 50 words to count as a review. That doesn't sound to arduous, does it? :P And you know what, the more you review, the more people will want to review your stuff! We're just awesome like that (the 'we' now including you, because you are absolutely one of us).

But dear oh dear, I hope your writing has revived, and if not, we can certainly do something to help you here! :) There are all kinds of writing activites and helps. We have a section for contests (with awesome prizes of course) which you can find under the Community section (Community tab at the top of the page). In that same section (Community) is our Writing Tips section (got any good advice for us?) and the Writer's Corner (you can discuss and ask for advice on stories you're writing, and rant about problems with writer's block etc.).

This site does do messages. :D We typically call them PMs (Private Messages). There's a button for it underneath people's posts, or in their profiles. You should PM me if you have any questions about anything here! I'd love to help. :)

Your little sisters sound adorable, by the way. I have a niece just a little bit older than they are; she's so sweet, and is always suprising me with how smart she is.

Ever want to talk or have questions about anything, send me a PM! Or, if you go to someone's profile they have what's called a guestbook, at the bottom of the page, where you can write a message. You could do that too.

*sigh* Now I'm going to bed. I've stayed up far too late, yet again. :P

Again, welcome aboard!

-Adna
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:00 am
Juniper says...

Hey there JM! (I'll call you that until you give us a nickname to call you, dear :P)

I'm June! I'm 15, and I guess if you call New York New England, I come from New England, too :D. The Red Sox are good, but I like the Yankees more :P.

Anyway! YWS has a few wee rules that every member shall know about. It's this:

• No chatspeak - (From the formal intro, I assume chatspeak isn't your thing :)) But, we don't like people who speak like "r u there" verse "Are you there?". Brb and Lol are acceptable.

• 2:1 policy - Before posting one piece of your work, it's better to have reviewed at least two pieces by someone else. (Doing this drives more reviews to your work :))

Also! When posting your work, be sure to rate it. If it's all good, rate it G. If it's got mild swearing/mild violence, PG-13. The F-word, explicit content, rate it R.

And, let's see... you will see some people with colored names around here (like me, for instance) Here's our legend:

• Red = Admins/Junior Admins. These are the site owner and the people who help to make sure the inner gears of the site keep on turning.

• Green (dark) = Moderators. These people manage the forums and make sure that everything stays under control on our level ;).

• Green (light) = Junior moderators. These people manage certain areas of the site and make sure that everything stays under control in those parts if the mods can't get there ;).

• Purple = Instructors. These people are here to give you the most indepth critiques on your work and give you helpful tips on your writing. You're welcome to bug us for critiques anytime.

• Blue = Greeters. (They'll be here soon!) These people welcome newcomers to the site, and assist them in any area they need help in.

Also! You'll see some orange members around here. There are just retired moderators and/or admins.

Your sisters sound so cute! And your dog sounds absolutely adorable.

Sweet! You're interested in Photography? When you start it, we have a forum where you can post your pictures.

You've basically covered everything about yourself! There's almost nothing to ask you :D.

I can't wait to see some of your writing. We'll try to help you out in the best way we can :).

Well! If you have any questions about the site, feel free to PM me or ask here.

Welcome aboard!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:06 am
Meep(: says...

JMSmith wrote:I'm very new to the site, I think I have been a member for about 45 seconds so I can't really say much yet but I intend to look around alot, because I have been looking for a site like this for a long time.

Um, so a little about myself I guess?

I hope to really like this site.

Ahahaha, by the time you finished writing 'A LIttle' about yourself, you have been a member for a year.
Thanks for taking the time to tell us more about yourself, and Welcome! :D

Yup, we hope you like this site too! We love you, for sure! :D

Since the rules have been explained,
I don't really have any questions about you, to pop, considering you've already said so much.
Oh! What stuff do you write about?

~Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, yeah? :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi there! Great to meet ya! Rules should be okay, considering that they've been explained thrice. And I agree, your sisters sound snuggleable. My little brothers are demons, I tell you, demons. One minute thay're playing, next they're shouting and crying, then they're laughing again, and then crying and yelling, and laughing... Well, you get the idea.

Anyway, pretty much everything's been mentioned. So, I can say go ahead and PM me anytime you need help or if you want to chat. I'll see ya around sometime. You can also put something up in the About the Authors section, so we can get to know you more. Well see ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Oh my. I am late here. Let's see, what to talk about.... Groups!

If you look in the header, you'll see a big button labeled "groups." Click on it, and you will find a group on almost anything, including photography.

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:41 pm
View Likes
Night Mistress says...

Hey

Welcome to YWS.

Pm me if you need anything.

see y around
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Reviews: 3
Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm
balletbabe12 says...

hiya and welcome!

i hope you enjoy yourself here and i can't wait to read some fo your work! feel free to PM me if you need anything!

im kinda new here so don't worry your not alone!

sorry im not writing much i promise i'll write a more lengthy review on something you've written haha. see you around!

-balletbabe12
Live.
Love.
Laugh.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:15 pm
Myrcei says...

HEy there Smith!

That was quiet the introduction.
I'm relatively new here,too. And I absolutely love it.
It's a great place to be around people that are just like you, get critiqued, and socialize.
You know--all the good stuff. HAha. :D

Anyway..I think everyone else had let you know the rules and all that so there isn't much left for me to say.

The only thing I'll mention is that the groups here are really cool. You can find a group for pretty much anything.---including a Twilight Fanfic one. YOu would probably enjoy that.

Well, if you need anything else just PM me. (message me),

You'll love it here.

Bye now! :D
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep."
---Scott Adams

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:54 pm
fragile_heart(!) says...

Hi there!
Welcome to YWS! I'm fragile_heart(!).
I know exactly how it feels wheen you first log into this site; you're exstatic and excited but completely and dead lost. Don't worry! It takes about two days to memorize all the parts of this site, but one you get the hang of it, you'll be able to navigate in your sleep.

I used to write a lot of poetry, but now I mostly write stories that I don't end up finishing. I use free-verse poetry when I need to gush out my feelings but have no one really to tell, so you can learn a lot from me by those.

My parents are divorced, but they are mostly in the same position as your mom and Sean. I absolutely hate their partners (you can tell by some of my writing in my portfolio) but I have to tolorate them. My mom is cool, too! She's definitely more of the open type, so I can talk to her basically whenever about whatever.

I am thirteen too. I'm going on fourteen in May, but people say I'm going on 45 because I'm too mature for my age. I teach a writing class at my school, so if you need any help with anything at all, feel free to PM me.

I like acting and theatre too. I mean, I'm not that great, but I love watching it. It's amazing. I've been to a lot of plays (The Lion, the witch, and the waredrobe, and some others I can't remember just yet....)

Once again, if you need anything at all, PM me.
Bye!
:]

Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter