z

Young Writers Society

How to Get Addicted to YWS!

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

I'm going to try (and hopefully succeed) to get you addicted to YWS like many of the other users you see floating around all over the place. First of all, you may be wondering what is the point of YWS. Well the main point of it is for writers (young to be exact) to be able to have an active site where they can post all of their work. Here, writers should be able to find good reviews and thoughts from other writers, and be able to review other types of writing for their own benefit.

Another thing we do here is writing excercises, contests, and forums. If you go to the "group" link, you'll be able to join a group of your choosing and talk about whatever they're up to. For example, if you join the Character Tea Party like (which I am in), you can role play or story book your characters to improve your characterization. There's also the novelist group, for serious writers only xD So it's hard to get in unless they think you've got the stuff.

If you go to community, that's where all the forums and chat groups are. You can post a topic or join one. Talk all you want, as long as you're not offensive and use all caps :P

You can also PM people (personal message) and sign their guestbooks. I'm sure you'll find YWS a great place for writing and friends! All you have to do is post some of your work and get yourself out there! Don't be afraid of the criticism because there's always room for improvement. And just because someone gives you advice or recommendation doesn't mean you have to change that part of your writing. Your writing is what you want. Don't forget that the pen is in your hand, not someone elses ;)
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hi, got your message! Thanks for the review on my poem- like I said, (or maybe I didn't...? haha.) I'm not very good at poetry. I enjoy writing novels a lot more, but I'm not quite comfortable posting any of those yet. Haha.

Anyway, I shall try and follow your tips in order to become addicted to YWS. I become addicted to things very easily, so I'm sure it won't be hard.
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

I'm glad you found my advice useful xD

I'm not much of a poet either, I'm more of a novelist myself (though most of the final work is not here).
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye