z

Young Writers Society

New Here

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:22 am
RebellionLies says...

Hey, I'm RebellionLies if you haven't looked to the left yet. I've managed to submit a work without reading the rules and knowing to review two things before I submit myself, so I guess that puts be in some sort of point debt, although I still don't know how the point system works or what it's used for still :? . Any-who, you can go on over to the SciFi area to read the mammoth sized post I've already burdened the world with if you like, or just grant me a "tl;dr".

I hope to get to know you guys soon.

-Yours Truly
RebellionLies

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:49 am
Sam says...

Hey, RebellionLies!

(Could that be a nod to Arcade Fire...?!)

Yeah, the points system is kind of arbitrary--you earn points for critiquing, and lose them for posting your work, and at the end of a week/two week period they reset themselves for 500. It's mainly to make finding a Member of the Week easier.

I normally don't foray into Science Fiction, but I guess I might have to for an NMH fan. ^_~ I'm Sam and I'm on the mod squad, so if you ever need help with anything, send a PM my way!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm
WaterVyper says...

Sam, I think they reset to 300. Well, when you make a post, you automatically get 10 points from that. You get an extra 0.2 points for every character in the post, for a maximum of fifty (50) at any given time. Well, I'm Vyper or whatever you want to call me! And it's great that you read the rules. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine with everyone here.

Well, time for [s]interroga[/s] questions! You didn't hear anything just now, just ignore it. Or else. Just kidding. Well, what do you like to write, besides science fiction? What about read? Who are your favorite authors? What are your other hobbies? What about movies and music? Things like that.

I gotta go now, since I'm procrastinating. Feel free to PM me for whatever you need, nd see ya around the sci-fi section soon!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 pm
daydreamer9 says...

Welcome to YWS!

As long as you now know the rules, and SWEAR to follow them, nothing bad will happen. ;] Honestly though, it's fine. Just try to post a few reviews before you submit another piece of your own. It's the way things work around here.

Anyway, I'm . .. . no name. People usually refer to me as dd9. I'm open to any nicknames, as long as they don't include profanity! Oh, and I should tell you: try not to swear here. People really respect a kind and honest user.

YWS is really like a disfunctional family. We live all over the world, but we still get together through writing and reviewing. I'm sure that you'll soon discover that for yourself (if you already havent'.)

What genre of writing do you like? And what is this piece you submitted about? It sounds interesting: I'll be sure to give it a look.

PM me with any questions. I'm always willing to help.

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:02 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey

Welcome to YWS.

Since you know the rules and stuff, i won't tell you those.

so tell us about yourself. like you favorites.

and I guess you write sci-fi, do you wrie any other genre?

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:50 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Hi there, you can just call me Alyss. I know that my username is a mouthful. :)
So, just don't use chatspeak, thats a useful tip. Some people will hunt you down if you use that language around here. (I'm not one of those of course :) ) So, you have already posted some of your writing huh? I might check it out. It sounds interesting. So, if you need any help with anything, or need a review, just feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help.
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, a bit more detail on the points:

You only get points for posting in the first two groups of boards on YWS. Stuff under "General Disscusion" doesn't get you any points.

On the litrature boards you get them everywhere except Storybooks. Storybooks are like RPGs.

It costs you 150 points to post something new, but you get 50 points back fro your word count.

So, everything else has been explained. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 am
Snoink says...

Eek! Arcade Fire, anyone? :D

Mammoth-sized post? Oh dear... has it taken over the world? XD

Some people split up their really large posts, just because they get more critiques on it. But, hey! You never know. :P

Anyway, welcome to YWS! I'm also part of the mod squad too, so if you need help, you can bug me too. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:29 am
RebellionLies says...

Hey, sorry it took a couple of days to get back to you guys, just had a few things going on. Thanks for the warm welcome and explaining how points work a little better, I wasn't aware were reset every week.

And to answer a few questions:
-Yes, my post has in fact taken over the known world, you might want to flee to one that it doesn't know about.
-Yes, my name is in homage to Arcade Fire, if you spoke to me in person for 3.5 seconds you'll find out just how much I love indie music.
-I'm writing my sci-fi novel at the moment (which is turning out to be a little more of a romance, but that's okay). I also write flash fictions of varying genres. I'll post those later so I won't be flooding the forums with my work.
-My only avid hobby is rock climbing, there's a gym not to far from my house I go to to climb.
-I've been reading a lot of sci-fi/dramas lately such as Ender's Game and Spin. I also enjoy fantasy and mystery thrillers. (I haven't been able to find a good mystery/thriller lately if anyone wants to reccomend one). I also read the classic dramas like Of Mice and Men and The Great Gatsby.
-It's hard for me to name a favorite author since the quality of books from the same author (from what I've read) varies to much. e.g. I loved Ender's Game to death but I really didn't care for Speaker for the Dead.
-The only video games I really play are RPGs, and yes, I can say I've beaten a Final Fantasy game.
-As for movies and tv, I pretty much only watch Scrubs on tv and I'll watch pretty much any movie aside from chick flicks.

I think that pretty much covers it for now, feel free to ask anything else!

Yours Falsely,
RebellionLies

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 am
Rosendorn says...

Sci-fi isn't really my thing, but there are pleanty of people who like it here. I'm more a fantasy person myself.

You like RPGs? Check out the Storybook forum. It's full of them. ^_^ They are really fun.

And you're close. Points are reset every 2-4 weeks.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"