z

Young Writers Society

Hello to all!

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:30 am
Eos says...

Hello, Young Writers Society!

Before I give you an introduction of myself, I must say a few things. I was registered on this site a while back. I cannot recall my old username, or even the email I registered with (for it was that long ago). And to be honest, it feels good to start over.

Also, I've read through the rules and guidelines, and a few other introduction topics in which the moderators gave additional information... My point is, I thought it would be better to keep this thread as an "introduction" topic. I want to hear about you! The other members! It's always nice to meet new people. :)

Let's get on with the introduction, shall we?

I usually go by Kelsey or Eos. I'm from the United States, and to be more specific, Alaska. I don't live in an igloo, obviously. Haha.

Favorite Authors:
Joyce Carol Oates, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe

Favorite Pieces:
The Tell-Tale Heart, Harrison Bergeron, Pride and Prejudice, Samurai's Garden, The Lottery

Favorite Genres to Write:
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Young Adult, Romance, Humor

And now... I have some questions for you!

Who are your least favorite authors?
When it comes to writing and reading, what is your biggest pet peeve?
What is your favorite book or short story?
If you could be in any fantasy world that was built by an author, what world would you live in?

I can't wait to get to know you and share our work!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Hmm, this is a little new. But, alright!

Least Favourite Author:
Gah, way to many to list. Probably Stephany Myare (spelling....) at the moment.

Biggest pet peeve in reading/writing:
Talking heads. I don't like to have more then two lines of dialogue without tags.

Favourite book:
Erm, Eragon, anything by Tamora Pierce.

Live-in fantasy world:
Heh, can I say mine? If not, Tortal by Tamora Pierce.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:49 am
Eos says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Hiya and welcome!
Least Favourite Author:

Hahaha, I'm going to agree with you on that one. I love your font, by the way.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:51 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Eos/Kelsey!

Welcome to the insane asylum! Er, YWS. I go by Sakura.

First, I'm going to tell you some rules. ^_^

-No chatspeak. This is a writers' forum -- we like proper grammar. That means no abbreviations such as "u" or "r".

-Keep swearing inside the literary forums. If you have a piece of work that cusses or is graphic, rate it accordingly.

-Keep a 2:1 ratio for posting your work. This means you should have two reviews of others work before you post your own.

Now that that's over...

Stephanie Meyer. I detest that woman. Her writing reads like a bad fan fic, it's unrealistic... agh, I'll stop before I go on a rant.

I hate when a character is raised by a single mother or is an orphan when it isn't central to the plot. It's cliche and is totally only used to make the reader pity the character.
I'm also the child of a single mother, so it really bothers me. Sometimes I throw the book across the room and scream, "It isn't like that!"

Oh, I have so many!

Favorite books: A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Interview with the Vampire, Fahrenheit 451, Phantom Tollbooth... I could go on.

Short Stories: Anything by Poe. I also love Harrison Bergeron.

If you could be in any fantasy world that was built by an author, what world would you live in?

Hmm, I think I would love to live in Middle Earth. Or Harry Potter's world.

Nice to meet you! Feel free to ask me questions or friend me.

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:52 am
Merry_Haven says...

*Kelsey~

Well, hello to you, too! *waves* Yes, it's always good to start new and the feeling...well it's just good sometimes to start a new.

Knowing that you know the rules, I will go ahead with everything else!

Yeah!! Another Jane Austen fan. Oh, and guess what?! We have a Austen group formed by the wonderful Bittersweet!! Thanks, Bittersweet!! So you like Pride and Prejudice? I can't really tell what one is my favorite. Maybe Sense and Sensibility? Oh, and did you watch last year's Austen collection on Masterpiece Theatre? I did. Wasn't it wonderful?

Because of Austen, I write historical romances. Between Georgian, Regency, Victorian & Edwardian!

Let's see, to your questions...

1) I don't like authors who talk about fairies/faeries. Example, Melissa Marr. I just can't get into those novels. Oh, if I read a historical fiction novel and it has false historical information. That really bugs me. Oh, and I'm into good summaries and first sentences.

2) I think I already answered that.

3) One of the best short stories I read was Sleeping with the Spirit by Laurie Faria Stolarz & Fan Fictions by Gabrielle Zevin. It's from Love is Hell novel. I did like The House Next Door & Shattering Glass. And I'm sure there's lots more.

4) Oh, I'm not really into fantasy. But, because I haven't read any. I'd choose the worlds of Tolkien.

Well, I thinks that's it. I would love to talk to you some more. See you around!

*Merry

Wait! Harry Potter, Too!!
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 am
Hannah says...

Yay! This is fun! -gigglefits-

Hum, I might have to stick with the crowd on this one because I don't feel like going back and thinking about it. ;D I am just too lazy! I will, however, provide you with my reasons. One of the biggest things that disappointed me was how she lost Bella's character COMPLETELY from the beginning of the fourth book. Even before it could have changed. ._. It just... bothered me. :C Also how she sticks little random things in that probably came from what she was living at that point in her life, but you can tell it was just put in randomly. xD Okay, I don't know how to explain that, but I don't like that!

Probably when things don't stay consistent. >_< Like, when I write that my character woke up at 3;54 and then said she took an hour to get ready for a part and by then it was 8pm. Bwuahaha, stuff like that. xD I fixed that, by the way...

I have to admit, I really like the short story that's building itself in my head right now! I can tell it's going to be really special to me. Haha, but by OTHERS, I like The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova! ^_^

Mmm... this is so difficult! I'd probably go live in the world in The Phantom Tollbooth and try climbing the infinity stairs. Bwuahaha.

I'm Hannah, by the way! ^_^ I'm relatively new here. xP

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:59 am
Eos says...

Haruno Sakura wrote:Stephanie Meyer. I detest that woman. Her writing reads like a bad fan fic, it's unrealistic... agh, I'll stop before I go on a rant.

You're not going to believe this, but I just said the exact thing on another forum about thirty minutes ago! Meyers lacks any sort of depth and should just stop while she's ahead. I'm glad there's someone out there that agrees! Hahaha. I've seen better fan fiction than her piece of "work".

Anyway... It's very nice to meet you! :)

Merry_Haven wrote:Yeah!! Another Jane Austen fan. Oh, and guess what?! We have a Austen group formed by the wonderful Bittersweet!! Thanks, Bittersweet!! So you like Pride and Prejudice? I can't really tell what one is my favorite. Maybe Sense and Sensibility? Oh, and did you watch last year's Austen collection on Masterpiece Theatre? I did. Wasn't it wonderful?

Because of Austen, I write historical romances. Between Georgian, Regency, Victorian & Edwardian!

Yes! YES! I'm glad there is a large number of Austen fans. This is brilliant! And I love the fact that you write historical romances. I sincerely admire that. In fact, I would like to speak with you more on that sometime. I've always wanted to write a historical romance piece, but I get really frustrated with some of the research. Haha.

It's nice to meet you as well!

@ Hannah: Hello there! I hope we can talk more! Most definitely. :)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 am
Night Mistress says...

I really don't have a least favorite authors.

mis-spell word. Bugs the crap out of me.

Poison Study by Maria v. Snyder and Green Rider by Kristian Britian

If you could be in any fantasy world that was built by an author, what world would you live in? Narnia By C.C Lewis.

I hope to know you too. Pm me if you need anything, including friendship.

See ya round.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:10 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

You'll find a large anti-Twilight crowd here. You'll also find obsessive Twilighters. *glances around for Edward fans*
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:17 am
Rosendorn says...

Eos wrote:
Rosey Unicorn wrote:Hiya and welcome!
Least Favourite Author:

Hahaha, I'm going to agree with you on that one. I love your font, by the way.

Thank you!

I really love pink. Obviously. :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:56 am
Night Mistress says...

Sorry, but i am one of those twilight fans.

I am probably on your bad list already.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:27 am
Eos says...

Night Mistress wrote:I am probably on your bad list already.

Naah, of course not! I don't judge anyone solely on what they read. :)

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm
Stori says...

I like Brian Jacques, Kenneth Opel, and all the other "boys' own writers."

It's kinda crazy 'cause I know three people with the name Brian: Mr. Quinn, Mr. Jacques, and Mr. Davis.

Mr. Quinn is my homeroom teacher. He's great; he says all kinds of funny things like "I'm on a roll; I must be butter!" That's my favorite.

So, let me ask you: who do you know that's a "Brian"?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm
heffa89 says...

Eos wrote:Favorite Pieces:
The Tell-Tale Heart,

I love the tell tale heart too.

I might not want to say this. But i am a twilight fan as well. Don't hate me for it.:P

Haha, well, actually i find it fascinating that i finally found someone who doesn't like her work. I feel twilight has become a hype. And i like it that people who doesn't like it says so... And not just follows the hype. Respect! :wink: Still i follow the hype cause i love the books, sorry... hehe

So I can't remember the questions, i really wanted to say that i love the tell-tale heart as well. :P

Hope you like it here, I'm hooked already:D see ya round!
I’ll be back so soon you won’t have time to miss me. Look after my heart — I’ve left it with you.

Thinking can save your life, thinking too much can take it away - Tusker93

"I feel like if men sent unsolicited dragon pics instead of *other* unsolicited pics they’d get a lot further in life"
— ShadowVyper