z

Young Writers Society

Heya! ^.^

Reviews: 4
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:10 am
Etain says...

Hello! I’ve been lurking around this site off and on for some time now, and I figured it was about time I joined. I’m seventeen years old, and my favorite genre is fantasy (imagine that), though I’ve been getting into mystery and historical fiction lately. I live in the foothills of the California mountains in a community whose claim to fame passed away with the prospectors. My goal at the moment is to become an archaeologist, maybe an anthropologist, and write books on the side.

It’s difficult to pick a favorite author, but I’m a fan of Jim Butcher (who writes the Dresden Files and the Alera Codex), Garth Nix, and Douglas Adams, among others I can’t think of. As for books, I really liked The Historian (vampires done right), The Dead Zone, and Watership Down. And manga I’ve been getting obsessed with lately: Death Note, D.Gray-Man, Monster, Naruto, Bleach, Kuroshitsuji, and Pandora Hearts.

I have a few stories I’ve been meaning to actually start and/or finish. I hope this place will give me enough motivation to get something done for once. ^^

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:37 am
Night Mistress says...

hey.

two rules:

1) 2:1 ratio. try to always maintain it.
2) no chatspeak. some abberation are okay.

so you like historical fiction? that's cool.

well, if you need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi! I see Night Mistress already greeted you. Archaeology? That's nice. What cultures are you interested in? I like the Ancient Egyptians and Greeks. It's nice to see another potential archaeologist. That's a dying dream in my school. Well, it never really was alive but...

And what's California like? Or mountains? I've never really been to either of the two places before. It sounds like fun, living there.

Anywho, it's great to meet you. I'll look forward to seeing you around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:58 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hey, Etain! Welcome to the YWS! I'm Sumi, one of the local [s]bothers[/s]junior mods, here to answer any questions you might have about the site. ^_^ Feel free to PM me anytime.

Wow! It sounds like you've got your life planned out. And you like Death Note! :*swoon*: I was just rereading a volume of that. xD Be sure to check out the manga and anime usergroup, okay? The place needs a big kick in the butt.

Once again, welcome!
~Sumi
ohmeohmy

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 am
Meep(: says...

Well, it seems the rules have been explained to you already...Darn.
*waves fist at Night Mistress*

Don't worry, if you need a motivation to get your work done,
Just post the chapters, and everyone will be bugging you post the next one.
If you don't post, they might just pester you.
I'm kidding.

Feel free to PM me for anything, including nonsensical babble like 'acehulfvgyuehvbcidfkegb'.
And I look forward to reading your *ahem* Completed works :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:27 pm
Rosendorn says...

Archaeology! So. Cool! I love history, so do several people here, so you'll feel right at home.

Manga, huh? We have a manga usergroup under the Groups button in the header. Join up and talk about everything manga/anime!

To clear up the 2:1 rule a little, since that is the post important rule of YWS, it is to review two works for every one you post. It helps make sure everybody gets a review.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:31 am
Etain says...

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. ^.^

Well, to answer a few questions, I'm interested in pretty much every European culture plus the Egyptians and Mayans, which will probably cause some trouble in college when I'm trying to figure out what to do. California is... well, interesting. It's such a strange state that it's hard to describe. The coast, especially around Monteray is beautiful. The inland mountainy area I live at is really pretty in the spring when everything turns green.

I'll be sure to check out the manga usergroup soon. Thanks for the tips. :)

And this place really is magic. Once I logged off, I wrote around nine pages of a story I've been neglecting for months.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:57 am
Meshugenah says...

California is weird, that's for sure :P From one to another, welcome to my happy-hidey-hole! Well, at least officially! And the foothills are lovely! The coast is fun, too, but I'm just inland enough for it to be a pain in the butt to get there quick enough (ok, because my school is much closer, and yeah, I'm rambling about my pretty state! Pretty and crazy state, that is).

And eee! Anthro/archeology/history is amazing! Yet I'm a lit major... right! What genre(s) do you write in? And don't worry about school! I'm a lit major who harasses the theatre/music/anthro departments much more than should be allowed for not technically being "in" any of them ^^

Anyhoo! Welcome! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, too! (About the site, school, CA gossip, etc.)

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:59 am
Meep(: says...

I love egyptian culture! Its so fascinating :D
Nice to see that YWS has helped you get back to writing XD
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:33 am
Etain says...

Hah! I'm surprised to see so many people into anthropology and stuff, though I guess I shouldn't be considering how much you need to know about different stuff to write. I thought about majoring in literature, but I think I'm too terrified to become a teacher/professor since that seems to be what most people become. And the departments should be proud to have you bugging them. Better than no one at all, right?

I like writing in fantasy mostly, but sci-fi is pretty fun too since I get to put my seemingly useless biology knowledge to use. *is a nerd*

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:56 am
LilyJamey says...

Hiya! Welcome to the site, as everyone says. I'm Lily.

Nerds are more than welcome here. We love nerds.

Egyptian and Mayan cultures are really cool. Archaeology sounds exciting, as does anthropology. Actually, loads of people are interested in everything on this site. That's why we have Groups. :D

I love reading sci-fi and fantasy, especially Isaac Asimov. His robot stuff is amazing.

So, what other hobbies do you have?

Hope you like the site.

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

I love those time periods! Maya/Aztec and Incan cultures are some of my favourites. And Egypt, my first history passion.

Fantasy, my genre, along with about two hundred other people on here. You will get plenty of help there.

YWS I believe is the only place where nerds are welcome. Feel free to be as nerdy as you want!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*Etain~

Hey! I see that you have been already welcomed here. :D Cool!

Wow, another historical fan. I seriously can't get enough of history and everything in between. I have to say, I'm a huge fan of the 19th century and I'm slowly getting into the late 18th century.

That's like all I read nowadays. Between this historical novel and that. Oh, and mystery with historical fiction is amazing! I'm writing off and on a historical mystery novel.

Now, you say you live in the foothills of California. Is that South or North California? My parents pretty much lived in that state til I was born and they moved up here in Washington state. Never live here. All it does is rain in the Northwest. No wonder they call Seattle one of the rainiest places.

Let's see...when I was a freshman, I wanted to be an FBI agent. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then something happened in my life, and now I find writing a lot more interesting. :wink:

Oh, I do have to agree with you there. Vampires nowadays are everywhere. I mean, in novels and movies. I was once a huge fan, but all of a sudden a major blast of fans for vampires came out and I lost all my interest. If. And I mean if, I ever pick a vampire-genre novel up, then it would have to be that good. I'm talking about Dracula and the other good ones.

Yeah. One of my New Years resolutions is to (hopefully) finish a novel. I don't care how long it is, I just want to finish something.

Well, I see that I have written too much. If you ever wanna chat, you are feel free to do so. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 am
Etain says...

Other hobbies... Hmm... Well, I love playing tennis. It's the only sport I'm decent at since I normally fail at group activities. It's simple. Just hit the ball back. Don't worry about passing it or getting killed by a defender. I'm in my science club at school, and during spring we go to a few completions down in the (not so) big city. Last year, we didn't do so great, but that was probably because most of our team was made up of terrified sophomores. This year shall be different. :twisted:

And a historical mystery novel? Sounds interesting. What period?

I live in Northern California, not too far from Lake Tahoe if you know where that is. Right now, our whole community is being inundated with skiers. Darn city folk.

I agree with the whole vampire thing. I still haven't read the Twilight books, and I think I might be the only person in my school who hasn't, guys included. For some reason, I decided to make them a race in one of my stories, but alot of the mythology is take from way back when, like before Dracula, when they were closer to zombies than Edward Cullen.

And good luck with your New Year's resolution. ^^ I'd love to be able to finish a novel, too, but I'm not so sure that will happen.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:35 am
Griffinkeeper says...

NORCAL for the win!

You're in a science club? Cool! I was a part of a club known as the Applied Sciences Club. There mission statement was: "We like to blow things up."

Have you read a lot of science fiction? You might be interested in the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov, he really explores how civilizations rise and fall.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina