z

Young Writers Society

Guess my name and win a cookie*!

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:13 pm
anti-pop says...

Hello fellow writers!
~I haven't updated this for quite some time, so I guess I'll do that now. :)

My real name is Megan-Elizabeth. I also go by Megan, Elizabeth, Meg, Liz, Meliz, Mel, B, and most commonly, "Em".
But I don't mind if you refer to me by my username. That's actually my preferred choice. Six syllables is just too much. ;)
I am fourteen years old and a freshman in high school. It's still kind of hard getting used to. Especially since I'm on the short side, being only 5'3". The majority of my friends are older/taller than myself, so I've always been considered the 'baby'.

I live in (near) Seattle, Washington. I grew up in the south (a.k.a., Mississippi and South Alabama), but I like it here very much. It's definitely different, but so is everywhere else, I guess! :D
It rains a lot here and never gets past 70 degrees (fahrenheit). There's clams, evergreen trees, liberals, tourists (around Forks, Seattle, Mt. Saint Helens, etc..) and espresso stands every mile and a half. Definitely different from the south, but hey. It's pretty cool. 8)

Here's a few little things about my personality:
I'm normally pretty bubbly, but at the same time I can be very serious. Occasionally, I get a bit hyper, but most of the time I'm mellow. Smiling is my favorite and crying is a no-no (yes, I just said 'no-no'). From what my friends tell me, it's hard to be upset when I'm in the room (pretty sure that's a good thing...right?) :D

Aside from my love of writing, I have always been extremely passionate about reading. So far in my short life, reading has been one of the few things I've truly excelled in. I learned to read when I was four, and since then I have never been without a novel in hand.
Guitar is another huge passion of mine. I play acoustic and electric, but classical is by far my favorite. It's really beautiful and a fantastic way to relieve stress.
I'm also starting to get into piano, and will soon (hopefully) take up violin. We'll see how that works out. XD

I've been taking martial arts for almost two years now, and I'm a Blue-Green belt. I dedicate a lot of my time to training -- I love to sweat. The way I see it: you've only got one body, so make the best of it! Pushing yourself physically and mentally will bring a harmonious balance of peaceful mind, body, and soul. (That's my Zen showing, I'm afraid.) :D
Pain is your friend, people!

I'm an intern at a school of music and a junior instructor at my karate studio.
For college, I want to major in Music Theory, English Literature, and Business, so that I can start my own music program and potentially do some writing on the side. My dream college is Juliard (don't laugh! I realize it's impossible ;)) and my dream job is to be an elementary school teacher. Sadly, I'd like to aim for a higher salary, so that's a no-go.

~~~

Oh yeah! Here's a question I've gotten a few times:
What is the significance of the name 'anti-pop'?

Well, if you're familiar with the term 'anti-establishment', you'll know that it means to stand in opposition against the conventional principals of society. I once considered myself 'anti-establishment', merely because I had different opinions and actions from the ones that society finds 'acceptable'. I soon realized, however, that I was not alone. I found that by becoming 'anti-establishment' I had become what quite a few others had decided to become as well. So, by labeling myself as 'anti-establishment' I was doing the exact opposite of what I had originally set out on doing: being a part of the establishment.
In other words, if the 'establishment' was suddenly becoming 'anti-establishment', the only way I could reach my goal was to become 'anti-anti-establishment' or the essential 'establishment'.

But neither of those sounded cool, so I simply refer to myself as 'anti-pop', meaning I am against all trends and all things that society defines as 'popular' or 'conventional'. I like to think of myself as being 'anti-popular'.

And 'Anti-Pop' is also my favorite song by the Matthew Good Band. :D

Yep. Hilarious, won't you?

Now with all of that being said (if you're still reading this, then congratulations! I didn't expect you to finish!) I'm off to go do some other [s]meaningless[/s] meaningful stuff.

If you have any questions or comments about anything I just mentioned above, feel free to post away!

~anti-pop
Last edited by anti-pop on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:22 pm
Stori says...

Sounds like me. I've never been seen without a novel since I was young.

143 Reviews

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:51 pm
anti-pop says...

Yeah, I can't last too long without a book. If I have to though, I'll reread something I have. I hate doing that unless I really enjoy the book. :)
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

Very interesting background on the anti-pop thing. I don't like most pop. I say most because I'm nuts about a singer (Josh Groban) who sings what is called Operatic Pop. It's nowhere near what is considered "pop" but he was the top selling male artist of 2007. The farthest from traditional pop you can get, and he's rediculusly popular! I'll stop now, or else I'll go on for the next hour. :oops:
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

143 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:16 am
anti-pop says...

Josh Groban, huh? I've heard of him. I might have to check out some of his top-selling lyrics. :D
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:39 am
Ducati says...

Classic Guitar sounds so beautiful. He's not really classical at all but have you heard anything by Jose Gonzales? Not sure if that's spelt right. Anyway just glad to learn some stuff about you. Maybe I'd post one of these thread if I ever had anything interesting to say about myself. :lol:

143 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 am
anti-pop says...

Yes! I love his music! Nice taste ;)
Yeah, you should do one of these. It was especially fun doing the whole anti-establishment rant. :D
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:30 pm
Stori says...

Is it all right if I call you "Aunty Pop"? *grins*

1272 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

anti-pop wrote:Josh Groban, huh? I've heard of him. I might have to check out some of his top-selling lyrics. :D

February Song is one of my all time favourites. He composed and wrote most of it late at night.

I tried classical guitar too. I absolutely love it, but I can't play much. My fingers are kinda strange (double-jointed, or hypo-extended for the technicality sticklers), so I can't get a chord properly.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

143 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:25 pm
anti-pop says...

Rosey - Oh, my gosh! I HAVE heard that song and I LOVE it!!! It really is beautiful! (Please pardon all of the exclamation points) :D
Double-jointed? I've always kind of secretly wished I was double-jointed. A friend of mine is and she can do all sorts of weird/awesome stuff. However, it would suck not to be able to play guitar. :cry:

Stori - HAHAHA! That's a new one. Very nice! :smt042
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

1272 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

My cousins call me "spider woman" because of my hands. And yeah, it does stop me from doing some stuff because every joint can go farther then it should (when I stretch with my hands above my head you can see the points of my shoulder blades. :shock: ). But, I absolutly love it. And, my life is writing. Thank goodness I can still do that!

Completely forgiven for the exclamation points. Heh, I, well, I'm a little obsessed.

Shale we go back to guestbook chatting Pop? Or just keep going here?

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:21 pm
remusandromulus says...

I'm rather similar to you it's quite strange (in a good sense). I play classical guitar too! For about 3 years now. I wish I could play acoustic and electric too. I think I'll stick to one at a time for now :). I admire you for being able to play all three.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:07 am
imapoemperson says...

I'm rather similar to you it's quite strange (in a good sense).
Same here! Excpt i play piano. I try to avoid popularity too! :lol:
"We played Pin the Tail on the Reason My Life Feels So Insufficient, and nobody won." -Megan Moriarty

143 Reviews

Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 pm
anti-pop says...

Hey, a post! :lol:

Another musician! Actually, I've been playing piano for a couple of months now. It's so much fun, but it's pretty hard. I definitely respect pianists a lot more since I've started the instrument. (To tell you the truth, I always thought it looked easy.)
Ha! Shows how wrong I was. XD
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:51 am
asxz says...

huh... that's a cool label... I might join you! (Jokes!)
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

When something is broken, it can be fixed.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe