z

Young Writers Society

Newbie here.

Reviews: 0
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:02 pm
goldilocks182 says...

Heyy there,
I'm Joey and I'm 14
I love creative writing, mostly fiction, but just recently I've written a few poems. I'll post as much stuff up of mine as I can, but I get really self concious about people reading my work.
I started to write my first book when I was 9. I gave up on it in the last chapter too. But I've written another book now, and i'm trying to get it published, but money always seems to be an issue
I'd love to meet some like-minded people on here
x

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

Whelp, before you start posting your work, you should know that there is a 2:1 review policy. For every peice you have up, you should have done two reviews on the Read & Review board. That helps to make sure everybody gets a review.

Another thing to be warned off is no chat speak. Some abbreviations are fine (YWS, ftw, btw, lol, commonly used ones.) but no "u" "srsly" and the like. We're writers, after all.

Other then those two and the golden rule, free range.

So, what kind of fiction do you like to write? Favourite authors? Music styles? TV shows? You'll get asked all this anyway, so might as well get it done in one shot. :wink:

Amazing that you started a book at age 9, and that you're trying to get one published now! Maybe you could post it here once you've done the two reviews. Quite a few of the members here are editor-like in style (and harshness). They will help make your work better. Believe it or not.

I was nervouse too about posting my work. I told myself: an editor is going to read this anyway and say the same things. Readers will probably think the same things. Might as well get used to it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:07 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Joey-
Hi. Welcome to the family of writers. I hope you have an amazing time here!

Oh, you write fiction? Any genres you prefer? I write mostly historical-based fiction. But I love to broad my horizons. :D I can't write poetry. But I admire those who can.

Don't worry, people here are truly honest when they give you criticism. And it helps. A lot. I was hesitant at first, but when I first posted, I was glad I did. They helped me out so much, and I'm sure they will help you, too.

I can't wait to read your work. And if you ever wanna chat, you can always pm me.

-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:19 pm
Stori says...

I can't write poetry either. I guess it's because I used to think it had to rhyme, which was too constraining. ;) Anyway, I made a few successful ones in the past.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:09 am
Juniper says...

Welcome to YWS Joey! You have just joined the best forum around for young writers! As Rosey explained, we have a 2:1 policy here where you should review at least two pieces of work before you post one of your own. It keeps things cycling, and it's actually pretty fun to do so.

Wow, you wrote your first book when you were 9? If you still have it, you should try to finish it and maybe you can have someone help you go over it and get it published! That would be cool; I know someone who did that once. They never let me read their book-- I really, really wanted to, but they never did and I don't know why.

Anyway, I'd love to see some of your work. Don't worry about being shy about it; this place is full of the most encouraging people so don't worry! No one around here will make you feel bad.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Welcome aboard!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:58 am
niteowl says...

Wow you made it to the last chapter when you were 9? That's impressive. I never make it past the first chapter....

Anyway, I'm sure you'll love it here as the others have said. Feel free to PM me if you need anything. Now, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :smt006 :smt005 :smt004 :smt002 :smt001 :smt008 :smt026 :smt024 :smt036 :smt044 :smt051 :smt059 :smt055 :smt046 :smt038 :smt029 :smt031 :smt032 :smt077 :smt109 :smt117 :smt118 :smt111 :smt069 :smt072 :smt116 :smt115 :ftw: :pirate3:
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:30 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello! Welcome to YWS!
Make sure you check out the guides, FAQs and rules, if you haven't already. People would love to review your work! I'm sure I would. Send a PM my way if you need a review. I promise to give a nice juicy review!

And PM me if you need help or have any questions!

See you around!
-Zehra
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:00 pm
View Likes
Kaylyn says...

Nice to see that you joined YWS!
Let me know ifyou have any problems with anything, I'll be glad to help.
I won't cover the Rules because its already been done. :)
If you want a review, or just to chat, fell free to send a PM my way.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:12 pm
Demeter says...

Joey –

Welcome to YWS! You've been writing a long time... :shock: I also started at nine, I think, but I was never patient enough. I have drawers full of unfinished little storylets, haha. You definitely should post your new novel here to be reviewed before you're getting it published. :)

Have a blast and PM me on anything, especially if and when you need a review!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Hey there Joey ;)
Welcome to YWS
Well the previous posters have mentioned the two golden rules

No chat Speak
and
2:1 ratio on reviews.

Other than that

Welcome!
I hope you have a great time here, we all love it (duh!)
PM me if you'd like me to review any of your stuff, I'd love to ;)
-Kirsten x
for what are we without words and stories?

Carpe Diem
— Catullus