z

Young Writers Society

Haay :)

Reviews: 2
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:22 pm
Sarge_Jr says...

Afternoon/Evening everybody :)

My names Danny but you can call me Sarge :p I picked the username because i use it for a lot of things, you know, one of those things you just pick up and use. Im 13, almost 14 and i look 15. Complicated, i know, try being me ^.^

I've been told I'm a decent writer, but that wasn't enough for me. No, I'm not athiest about my own creativity, well, I am, I just like double checking somtimes :) That and it would be nice to communicate with other young writers.

So thats the basic intro over and done with xD To summerise; Hey, ill be sticking around the site for a while :D

Ive written a short story to go along my welcome thread, to show people what type of writing style I prefer. Please, please, PLEASE give me feedback, negative or positive. If you get bored, tell me. If you feel i am writing in the wrong style, tell me :D

Enjoy :P

The suburbian streets of South London wheren't the ideal location to go for a stroll. But Johnathon Mills didn't plan for any strolling. Looking over his shoulders every ten seconds, John's beady eyes scanned the area for possible ambush points.
Paranoia, in John's opinion, was a gift. It meant to him that he wasn't careless, always on the ball, always ready for anything to happen.

The heavy raincoat he was wearing kept him warm, but it slowed him down, which was as bad as it could get. Speed was of the essence here, and time was short.
Heavy boots jogged from up ahead, sounding like they where heading straight for him. Straining his eyes to see what was headed towards him, Johnathon side stepped into a small back garden, and ducked behind a garden hedge.

Street lights could only shine light so far. Tugging the raincoat from his arms, he threw the heavy clothing into a bush, trying to make as little noise as possible. If there was going to be a chase, he wanted the upper hand of speed.

The sound of boots went silent. Suddenly, all the lights in the street shut down at the same time. They must have known where he was.
Leaping up from behind the hedgerow, John pulled out his pistol and aimed at one of the shadowy figures torso. The gun was silenced, as not to wake up the neighbours, but its weakness was its high pitched whistling sound would wake every dog up in the block.

John squeezed the trigger. The satisfying puff off smoke that erose from the gun was friendly to him. Whatever he hit, it grunted in a low moaning voice. This was normal, But john couldn't stick around. Chances are the other soldiers must have heard him.

Jumping up to run, bursts of fire erupted from behind him. His eyes raced as fast as his legs, looking for any advantages towards his escape. He had been running away from soldiers like this for weeks, John had gotten used to escaping chaos.

A large dumpster by the side of a bungalow house caught his eyes. Sprinting towards it, John leaped up ontop of it and launched himself on top of the bungalow. Luckily, the distance between the houses in the row was pretty short, enough to jump across.
Hopping between houses, John took a quick look behind him at his enemy. They where nowhere to be seen.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:37 pm
Layleun says...

Welcome to YWS Sarge! You sound a lot like me >.< I just turned 15 a few days ago but I've been looking 16 since I was 13ish. Hah, try that on for size =P

It's awesome that you came to talk to us. Some people are here only to write and never talk to anyone. I think it's best that you talk to people about your stories instead of popping them out without revising at all.

As for your story, you've definitely got potential. Put more description about the background. You've told us it's in London but make it feel like it's in London. Also you have good action movement. Some people find it hard to change between casual scenes and fight/action scenes. Your word manipulation is also good. I caught a few spelling and grammar errors but nothing too bad. Keep writing!

Alright. That's about it. Read the rules por favor and listen to the mods. If you need anything explained or need a critique PM me or leave a message on my wall.

Welcome to the family,
Lupe

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:45 pm
Sarge_Jr says...

Layleun wrote:Welcome to YWS Sarge! You sound a lot like me >.< I just turned 15 a few days ago but I've been looking 16 since I was 13ish. Hah, try that on for size =P

It's awesome that you came to talk to us. Some people are here only to write and never talk to anyone. I think it's best that you talk to people about your stories instead of popping them out without revising at all.

As for your story, you've definitely got potential. Put more description about the background. You've told us it's in London but make it feel like it's in London. Also you have good action movement. Some people find it hard to change between casual scenes and fight/action scenes. Your word manipulation is also good. I caught a few spelling and grammar errors but nothing too bad. Keep writing!

Alright. That's about it. Read the rules por favor and listen to the mods. If you need anything explained or need a critique PM me or leave a message on my wall.

Welcome to the family,
Lupe

Ill take note :) thank you :D Because it was rather short I cut out a proper introduction or background. As for spelling and grammar, well, theres always room for improvment :)

- Sarge
Winner of RedHouseBooks 'Finish the Story!' Competition 2007 [1st Place]

Got YWS?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:10 pm
Alainna says...

Heya Sarge and welcome to YWS!! You been enjoying your summer holidays?

If you haven't already you may want to check out the Help & Support tab on the drop down menu at the top of the page. It holds loads of really helpful stuff under it such as the rules and FAQ's. If you have any questions, want a critique or just want to talk, then feel free to pm me.

As for your story, I know that you wanted it to go with your welcome post, but you'll get loads more feedback if you post it in one of the fiction forums instead (once you've done two crits yourself). If you need help doing any of that then just pm me and I'll talk you through it. Plus, your writing seems really good. :D

I hope you like it here and all the best with your writing,

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Sarge_Jr says...

Alainna wrote:Heya Sarge and welcome to YWS!! You been enjoying your summer holidays?

If you haven't already you may want to check out the Help & Support tab on the drop down menu at the top of the page. It holds loads of really helpful stuff under it such as the rules and FAQ's. If you have any questions, want a critique or just want to talk, then feel free to pm me.

As for your story, I know that you wanted it to go with your welcome post, but you'll get loads more feedback if you post it in one of the fiction forums instead (once you've done two crits yourself). If you need help doing any of that then just pm me and I'll talk you through it. Plus, your writing seems really good. :D

I hope you like it here and all the best with your writing,

Alainna
xxxx

Thaank you Alainna :) Ill head down and post some of my work soon :)

- Sarge
Winner of RedHouseBooks 'Finish the Story!' Competition 2007 [1st Place]

Got YWS?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:27 am
casey_kent says...

Hi there!

Welcome to YWS!

Tis an AWESOME site so you will surely enjoy!

First, please read the rules and the FAQ. This will help you out a lot. We have a rule which indicates that you have to make 2 reviews first before you post anything. Please do not break this rule and as well as the other rules.

If you have any further concerns, feel free to PM me!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

Oh, I'm sorry. My friends are in the popcorn and I have to save them.
— Tori Hansen, Power Rangers Ninja Storm