z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:39 pm
Wilbur says...

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Wilbur J, I am 20 years old, and i am from Hopkinsville, Kentucky. I am currently enlisted in the United States Navy, and stationed out of Jacksonville, Florida. I found my interest in writing a long time ago in High School English Class, but never acted on it. I recently started to write my first novel a few months ago. Coming here for some advice and people who are like me.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:55 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey, Welcome to YWS.

if you need anything, let me know or you could read the Help and Support Wiki.

see ya around,
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:28 am
Adnamarine says...

Yo Wilbur. Welcome to the crew:)

That sounds really great, what you're doing, navy and all. I hope everything goes well for you.

So when you found your interest in writing, what kinds of things did you write? Short stories? Or did you stick to school assignments:)
What genre would you put your novel in?

Oh, by the way, we have places here specifically where you can ask for advice and suggestions for you writing. If you click on Community, then go down a bit to Writer's Corner. You can ask for help, and there's a writer's block thread. It's pretty great:)

Good luck with you're writing:) If you need help finding anything around here, have questions, want an opinion on something, whatever you need, I'm here to help.

By the way, if you feel like really jumping into things, you can check out our Writer Olympics! The link's at the top of the page. All the info is there, and the contests and such. You can read people's entries etc., or if you want to you can enter:) Just make sure you look at the rules for it.

Have fun:)

*adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 am
RoryLegend says...

Yay Navy! My cousin is in the Army (Is there an Army-Navy rivalry or is that just my imagination???) Anywho welcome welcome welcome.

So I'm glad you found YWS and joined, its pretty freakin awesome.

Heres probably the most helpful tip for a newcomer. Before you post anything review two other things. It doesn't matter what you review just make sure it is a good review. That way when you do post fifty million people wont tell you that you forgot to review other people's work first. It makes everything so much easier.

Next...so you want to meet people like you? Well first you have to tell us about yourself! Silly. What do you like to do in your spare time yada yada yada. I think there is a thread where you can post like about yourself I mena if you are really that conceded (haha just kidding).

Review stuff and then start posting. Post anything! Short stories, poems, whatever. The best way to meet people on this site is to post stuff. Also I want to read what you write.

Lastly..what is it like to be in the Navy? I'm just wondering. My cousin talks about Army life (he is stationed in Hawaii- boo hoo for him how tragic) and I guess the big question is like do you live on a boat or something? I mean how do you train and stuff like that? And do they send the Navy to Iraq???

Also feel free to PM me about anything..I love talking. It's like a disease I can talk forever and get really annoying. Kind of like now. Anyways PM me anytime about anything. I pretty much live on this site during the summer...my social life is well...another story. So yes...I think that is all.

Welcome again and have fun!

--Rory Evelyn Legend
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:36 pm
AlexZyg says...

Sounds cool, Wilbur. It is great that you are in the Navy and that you found a love for writing. I am also new, and if you are ever in the mood to befriend another new guy, stop by and say hi.
A good example is the best sermon. -Benjamin Franklin

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:54 pm
Meshugenah says...

Oh, very cool!

My advice? If you do nothing else, check the rules!. You can also find all sorts of help under the "Help and Support" button at the top right of the screen, or you can grab anyone in blue, green, or red (greeters, mods), or you can find a mentor for YWS (there's a thread in this forum near the top!).

Um... I think that's all on the helpful side of things, now! What kind of novel, if I may? Favorite genre to read? Play any sports? Favorite sport teams? I'm a baseball junkie (Go Giants, no matter how badly they may stink sometimes!).

Oh yeah! And if you have any questions about YWS, you can always ask me! I can always pretend i know what's going on and that I understand it all, too!

Welcome to YWS, and I hope you enjoy it/it's helpful!

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:57 pm
[deleted3] says...

Cool. You probably get a lot of experiences from The Navy for your writing. Welcome.
Victer

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 pm
Leja says...

Welcome, Wilbur!

What kind of novel are you writing? Actually, there's a whole group for novelists, if you click on the "groups" button at the top of the page ^_^ Let us know if you have any questions, of course. We're happy to help.

Hope to see you around soon!
- Leja

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 am
Emerson says...

Hey, welcome to the site! I really have nothing to say because so many other people have done a great job welcoming you, but thanks for being in the Navy! My cousin is in the Navy, stationed at Great Lakes. I love what you do for my country, and support you 100%.

Welcome to the site, too! Hope you find it to your liking. If you do have a question, and can't find anyone else to answer it for you, feel free to message me.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu