z

Young Writers Society

An Invalid Reason to Post

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:18 am
Reason Invalid says...

Well, it seems like it's about time for me to have a more formal introduction about myself...

First of all, I am not really an aspiring writer of any sort, in fact, I claim myself to be a horrible writer. Then why am I here, you ask? Well, I realized that I needed another outlet of creativity and muse asides from my heavy musical tasks. Thus, I took up the hobby of creative writing. You could say I am an absolute newbie at creative writing. Though I admit I learned all the supposedly 'basics' at school, read plenty at my own time, and did a fair chunk of research on the matter of creative writing itself, I still do not think it was enough; I do not think that my mind is prepared to think like a writer.

So.

One day, when I was continuing on reading up some basic rules on creative writing, I came across an advice that told me to join writing communities to meet different writers. Thus, I'm here.

Now, some of you may ask: well, writing is all about practice and experience, why bother 'learning' it?

I agree. Sometimes being technically knowledgeable is indeed a burden. Though, as a musician and a composer, I had always learned to 'research then execute'. Take harmonizing music for example, you just need to know the laws in order to make it sound logical and pleasing. I don't know, I guess it's a bad habit I should not use for both writing and music. I wouldn't know, however.

Basically, I'm here trying to acquaint myself with various wonderful writers of this forum so that I could see the art of writing in a broader manner. I treat writing as an art as much as I treat music, visual arts and drama as an art. And I think in order for me to understand this art with greater depth, it is necessary for me to be aware of the diversity of the admirers of this art.

Well, asides from being all 'art this, art that', which is probably boring you already, I will tell you that Reason Invalid is indeed a very boring person. I like eccentric classical music (to be precise, 'contemporary classical music', but I don't like that term for it always felt like an oxymoron to me), reading and learning random facts.

I could spend hours on the computer either composing, or chatting away on MSN. However, I have a feeling that I will spend quite some time on writing once I have the confidence on doing it.

On the literary side, I enjoy reading various historical fictions, preferably set in 19th/20th century. I don't really like science fiction and most fantasy, because I some of them cliched. I know, however, that not all of them are. But I avoid them, nevertheless.

As for what I want to write, I already have a plan of a story. However, whether if it will be successful, I guess it really depends on my luck, perseverance and how bored I am. D: Though... I am quite doubtful about it... But yeah, trying won't hurt. :)

Ah. I never really liked ranting about myself, but there you have it. A tedious wall of text. If you're still reading this, kudos to you! :D

Well, that's all. :)
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:29 am
listeningforthemuse says...

Welcome!
I totally know how you feel
I too, am a musician
However, I've been writing for several years now and I understand the whole confidence thing. May I suggest a journal? That really helped me learn to communicate effectively to my readers while still being sincere and passionate.

And, if I might say, you did a pretty darn good job explaining yourself in an interesting way. At least, it held my attention.
"...she was a lovely lady, with a romantic mind and such a sweet mocking mouth..."

- 'Peter Pan' by J.M. Barrie

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; but the valiant will never taste of death but once."
— Julius Caesar