z

Young Writers Society

Emma Smilerz

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:25 pm
Luvzi12 says...

Hiya, I've been writing since I was 3 (no lie, I have computerised proof =P) and now I am 19; at university studying English literature and theatre studies feeling like it's not as easy to write as it once was.

I used to write relentlessly, and now I feel I have lost my touch, finding it difficult to bother writing down stories, leaving them as ideas on random scraps of paper, or calendar notes on my ipod. I also have trouble ending stories, and would like to try and force myself to finish things by thinking of rational endings that aren't cliched or dull.

My favourite writers are usually writers of children's literature, as I aim to be a children's writer myself. My favourite writers include: Wendelin Van Draanen, Lemony Snicket, Jacqueline Wilson, Anne Fine and E. B. White.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 pm
Kyuubi says...

Bonjour! Welcome to YWS. I'm surprised I was the first to say it here in the post. Anyway, I think you will have fun here. There are games, the chat, and the many forums dedicated to writing. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer it to the best of my knowledge.

~Wolfie~
"So, I was thinking, I've always wanted to ride a TaunTaun."
"Ummmm....I asked you answer the math problem on the board."
"No you didn't."
"Yes I did."
"Yeah well, that's your opinion."...............A conversation between my teacher and I.

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:54 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Welcome!

Can you enter notes into an iPod without typing them on a computer first? *curious* I didn't think that was possible.

Anyway, two reviews, one story, blah blah, you'll hear that one a million times, I'm sure. :)

I hope you enjoy your stay!

<3 Rabbit
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:03 am
Sinkingtooslow says...

Welcome!

Hope you find this place helpful with your writing.
That is all.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 am
Adnamarine says...

Hiya! Welcome to YWS:)

I can understand how it would start getting harder to keep writing as you get busier with other things to the point where you don't have quite the motivation. I hope this place can help you with that. It's what really got me started writing. I always had vague ideas and jotted down a few things, but I really got started after I came here. And when you're writing something, it's great to be able to vent here, and you just got oodles of consolation and advice.

But whatever you do don't give up! Writing is one of the greatest gifts a person could have. I'm sure you'll get all the encouragement you could want from everyone here; all you have to do is ask:)

I hope to see you around a lot:)

*adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:28 am
Tatra says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!! It's a great site, as I'm sure you've heard. :D There's another great site out there, made by the same awesome person who made YWS, called The Writers Society. TWS is for writers 18+, and is as good as YWS. :lol:

Have fun here at YWS, and check out TWS!!
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 am
niteowl says...

Hi there and welcome to YWS! You've gotten the rules rundown a bit already, so just check out the Help and Support section if you need help or feel free to PM me.

Now, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt035 :smt036 :smt026 :smt016 :smt024 :smt029 :smt027 :smt034 :smt031 :smt020 :smt032 :smt069 :smt038 :smt034 :smt116 :smt084 :smt044
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 am
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hey and welcome!

Oh, I like children's literature, too, along with many other things. Jacqueline Wilson is really great, I've liked her books for quite a long time. I also like Swedish author Astrid Lindgren, have you ever heard of her? I think you would come to like her books. There are, for example, Ronia the Robber's Daughter, Brothers Lionheart, Seacrow Island etc.

I have the same problem as you. I find it incredibly hard to both start and finish the story, which isn't so good as I want to be a writer. Well, starting them was easy when I was a little kid, because then I hadn't even heard of any character development or any kind of plotting, really, believe it or not. I just wrote and wrote, and never finished. But I think here in YWS people like you and me can find the best of help.

PM me if there's anything you'd like to ask. See you around!

Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

71 Reviews

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 am
Luvzi12 says...

ProfessorRabbit wrote:
Can you enter notes into an iPod without typing them on a computer first? *curious* I didn't think that was possible.

On an Ipod touch you can, if you update it you can get a whole application called notes where you can write as much as you like! It's awesome!

71 Reviews

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:10 am
Luvzi12 says...

Oh yeah I used to love Pippi Longstocking! Thanks for your input, I think the YWS might really help me develop as a writer!

71 Reviews

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:43 am
rubberduck says...

Hey there!

Welcome to YWS! ^^

You have problems ending stories? Me too.
We're in the same boat.

Don't fret though! Here, at YWS, we all help out one another. So we'll get over our little problem together. :)

Well then,
seeya 'round!

-Max.
I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman.
- Homer Simpson

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:23 pm
View Likes
andimlovegalore says...

Hey =] my boyfriend wants to study the same as you at uni. We went and looked at the course at Leeds it looks pretty fun.

I think a lot of the time if you'e busy and have a lot of things in your life going on it's harder to write, especially if it's the long drawn-out kind of busy like university work is, rather than the crazy mad busy of exams (this years I did AS exams and wrote more in 2 weeks than I had in that whole year beforehand just from pure procrastination). Any way, once you get writing more it kind of comes easier, if you've been out of practice you'll remember how to do it =D

71 Reviews

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:18 pm
Luvzi12 says...

I know some people who go to Leeds uni! Yeah I've heard it's really nice, I don't know what the course is like, but I know I am enjoying mine in Preston, so if it's similar to that then it should be great!

I know I am just out of practice, it's like my French, I can barely speak it after studying for six years and only stopping after my final AS exam because I found the coursework too stressful on top of all my other exams. I feel sorry for you still doing A Levels! That was one of the most stressful times of my life, I definitely couldn't do it again!

Talking about French, I am actually watching the cartoon Arthur in French right now haha! I don't know why, I bought it when I was studying because watching cartoons is one of the easiest ways to learn a foriegn language because it uses simple language. It's the same way I started to learn Greek, thanks to Pepper Ann haha!

Good luck next year for your exams and happy writing! xxx

71 Reviews

Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:19 pm
Luvzi12 says...

rubberduck wrote:Don't fret though! Here, at YWS, we all help out one another. So we'll get over our little problem together. :)

Thank you! So far I've found this site to be very helpful!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:54 am
moosiegirl says...

Hayy welcome again, lol well *air hugs* have fun here and if you need help just ask... we all have nothing better to do lol hahaha well I don't at least :) If you need help ending stories just ask around, most people n this site have the same problem.
"I don't know what to say, so I'll just say what's in my heart... Baboom, Baboom, Baboom."
--Mel Brooks

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind