z

Young Writers Society

Hello.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:27 am
Reason Invalid says...

Hello all, I am Reason Invalid, as you all can see~ :P

Basically, I take writing as a hobby. However, seeing how it's a form of art just as music or visual art is, I took the initiative to do some research on how to be a proficient writer. So one day, I stumbled upon an online article on writing fiction, and one of the advice it gave me was to join a community of writers, whether it be a school club or online. Thus, I followed the advice and googled around for a writing forum for a younger age group. At first, I found and joined some smaller writing forums, but as I went through their affiliate pages, recommended articles pages and etc... I somehow ended up here. Seeing how this site seems to be relatively big, I think it would be quite helpful for my development as a writer. And so... I am here~ :D

Since I have never wrote anything-- or at least anything significant, I guess this place would be a great place for me to find inspiration, motivation and probably some writer friends.

As for myself, I am a music composer, not popular music 'songwriters' though. Contemporary classical music is my favourite style of music to listen to and to write. As for writing, I aspire to write one single novel and whether if it will be published or not does not really matter to me. My favourite genre is historical fiction, though I'm pretty lazy in researching when it comes down to writing~

Well, enough of robotic-sounding introduction of myself~ :)
It is only when dissonance plays one will find pleasure in consonance.
topic34094.html <-- Free Reviews

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 am
casey_kent says...

Hey there!!

Welcome to YWS(Young Writers Society)!!

Tis an AWESOME site so you will surely enjoy!

Feel free to PM(private message) me if you have any questions/concerns about the site!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 am
Emerson says...

Welcome to the YWS!

Historical fiction? Joy ^_^ Which era do you favor? I hope you find you enjoy our community! It's great, and there are so many unique people here that you are bound to find someone who is like you - or too many someones who are like you, heh. Have you ever heard of National Novel Writing Month? You said you wanted to write a novel, and that might be the ticket for you! I gave you the link, but a quick brief on it: every year in November, writers around the world sit down and write 50,000 words (roughly a small novel) in 30 days. It's the most fun I've ever had as a writer. I've done it for two years now, and "won" (reached 50,000 words) both times. Around October and November, the NaNoWriMo (that's the short name for it) site gets real active, and so do we! We still have the forum up from this past year. I highly suggest you check it out, and consider doing it. It's a great experience.

Enough babble! I'm glad to meet you and if you have any questions or need help finding your way around the site, as it can be a confusing at first, feel free to message me. Have fun!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

26 Reviews

Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:18 am
Reason Invalid says...

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

I like historical fiction that is set in the Victorian era to early 20th century of Europe and sometimes the far east (China or Japan). I just think that this time period has a unique set of 'anxieties' and culture. I am not too much of a fan of modern fiction or most fantasy. This is probably because I find them somewhat cliched. :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:03 am
Demeter says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

I'm Demeter, but you can call me also D if you haven't the patience to type the whole name, haha :) I found this site just like you – googling around. I'm so happy that I typed "young writers" to Google back then, I've gotten hooked already. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know... Probably good. *ramble ramble*

You might want to check the Rules and FAQ if you already haven't... They're a great place to start!

So, I hope you'll find this site worth becoming an active member, it's so great to have new writers here! If you have any concerns or anything, just PM me and I'll be there. See you around.

All the best
Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 pm
Witch Hazel says...

Helloo! I'm Hazel, also new ^^.
Haha, I'm the odd one out again. I used Ask Jeeves instead of Google.
Yay classical! Have you heard of Ludovico Einaudi? Really amazing music, especially 'Divenire'.
=D
No. 60: Don't build an elaborate machine that could accidentally hurl you into the white hot heart of the sun.
~ Don't Arm Wrestle a Pirate: 101 Really Bad Ideas

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:34 pm
Firearris says...

Hello and Welcome to YOUNG WRITERS SOCIETY!!!!!!!! I'm Fire, Arris, Firearris, FA, or you can make something up. Music? Awesome! XD

Here are some good links:

Contact & Staff: A List of people you can contact for help if needed, (mods and admins), this list is a bit old, but you can still contact most of the people on it. contact.php

Rules & Guides A List of rules, and also some guides. I suggest you go through this so you know what you can and can't do on here, and the guides can be loads of help! I sometimes wish I knew about them when I joined XD rules.php

FAQ Frequently Asked Questions! You may have a problem, and you might be able to find the answer here. faq.php

Also, here is a color list:

Blue Name = Greeters.

Purple Name = Instructors.

Light Green = Junior Moderator.

Dark Green = Moderators.

Red = Admins.

Feel Free to PM me if you want a crit, or you need any help!

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

26 Reviews

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:31 pm
Reason Invalid says...

Thanks for the tips, guys! :)

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:16 am
Alteran says...

You sound very interesting. I'm a hug history buff, not a historical fiction writer though. So count on me to point out your historical inaccuracies. Just kidding. But I am happy to help with research.

I love classical music too, do you play an instrument? I play tenor sax.

Anywho, welcome to YWS and I hope you enjoy your stay. And I hope it's a long stay.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:29 am
Gahks says...

Hello there from warm, sunny England!

Welcome to YWS! I'm Gahks (that's pronounced 'garks'); glad to meet you!

So you're a budding novelist, I see? As Suzanne has kindly suggested, try National Novel Writing Month for some inspiration. I also recommend you join the Novelists over at the Groups.

Historical Fiction?! I did try to write a mystery set in Ancient Rome but it never got very far; I'm more into crime myself. Do you have any other hobbies or interests besides writing? I enjoy languages, public speaking and cycling.

Feel free to PM me if anything's on your mind.

Have fun here!

Best wishes,

Gahks

:D
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

26 Reviews

Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 pm
Reason Invalid says...

Thanks for the welcomes, guys! :)

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind