z

Young Writers Society

Hey Peoples

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:52 am
dele24 says...

hi, I'm Adele, from NZ and I just joined the forum today. I love everything to do with writing. I have just finished my last year of school and I would love to write full time, but I can't support myself that way so I have to settle with writing in my spare time :( But at least I can still write:P

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:06 am
Nate says...

Hey! I'm pretty much in the same situation (will be soon). I really want to just write full time after this year, but there's no way I could support myself doing that. That's why I'm thinking of being a teacher; it gives me a job that I'd enjoy doing and also gives me plenty of freedom and spare time to write. Hopefully, though, I'll finally finish my bestselling novel before the end of this year and won't even have to get a job. Except maybe appear on talk shows :wink:

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:20 pm
Firestarter says...

Welcome!

I wish I could write full time too, don't we all!

But theres a thing called college, university and then the fact my parents don't seem to think it's a viable career.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 am
Crysi says...

Ah, same here, same here.

Just remember, J.K. Rowling is richer than the Queen of England! :D So once we get our best-selling novels published, our parents will have to think about that :wink:
Love and Light

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:52 am
Perra says...

Hello there, Adele! I'm Perra(not my real name). I like your name. Adele. How exactly do you pronounce it? And about your avatar-NEMO!!!! It's Crush Jr.!! Little Dude!! I forgot his name!!! NOOO!!!! *writes down 'Must watch movie again soon!!!!' on post-it)* Oh well, point is; nice avatar! NO! Sweet avatar, dudette!!

Whoa, Nate. My mom's a teacher, and she nearly only gets free time during the summer(save some time here and there)! And teachers have to be at school sometimes on days the students have off. But, I bet you know some of this already, being an almost-graduate of college(right?) And, if you really want to be a teacher, go for it!

I don't want to write full-time after college. I probably wouldn't enjoy it all that much. Being home a lot, not having to go out and socialize(like at work), and, once you've been published and it's something good, your publishers might be breathing down your back for more. So, I'm thinking about being a veterinarian. I would be an animal behaviorist, because I'm kinda fascinated by animals and how they react and evolve with their environment(in my story's country's history, I'm sure to have animals not of our world evolving :mrgreen:), but I don't want to travel around the world a whole lot(it'd take away from family time). I'm also fascinated by how some animals are built. Sometimes I'll be looking at one of our dogs, and imagine their muscles working and tensing up and what they're doing. That's why I think I'd enjoy some of anatomy, although I don't completely know what it is exactly yet. :mrgreen:
If I'm not going to be in a field with animals, I could do well as an engineer. I'm one of the faster ones in my engineering class, and I got the stuff we learned last year more easily than others in my class. I'd love to be a Historian. Or, at least, make a career out of learning about history. That's why I've thought about being a college professor. But I don't want to teach, so......
Acting would be fun. If I was successful, at least.

Anyway, whatever I do, writing is going to be my hobby. And if I get something published, yay me!! And you guys better read it, or else!!!(j/k on the threat! :xmas_wink: ) Naw, you guys don't have to, but I'd appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the long post! :mrgreen:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

594 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:59 am
Crysi says...

Lol! I had no idea what I wanted to do until two nights ago. I was looking through a college class list to get ideas, and one of them was forensics. I automatically jumped up and showed the class to my parents. My dad agreed that I'd probably love it. So now I think that's what I wanna do :D
Love and Light

87 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:16 am
Perra says...

Hehe. I used to know for sure that I wanted to be a vet. Then I had an acting phase when Gladiator came out, and then in eighth grade I had to take a semester of Career Orientation, and now everything is mixed up. :shock:
Forensics. That's the study of weapons in crimes or something like that, am I right?

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:27 am
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Ha.. Thank God I'm only a sophmore because I have had SO many careers cross my mind.. Child/Teenage Psychologist (or even an Adult one, but mainly teenagers), Movie Actress (Far-Fetched dream), FBI Agent, Teacher/Professor are a few... But my TRUE dream would be to become a TV talk show host and write a few books along the way...
<3 Lindsey

35 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:00 pm
dele24 says...

Yeah I used to want to be a vet specializing in <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=horses&v=56">horses</a>, then I wanted to be a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=lawyer&v=56">lawyer</a> (don't ask what possessed me to think I ever wanted to do that) now I want to be a journalist (I went on work experience once, with a reporter to a murder scene!!!) or a teacher or something else, I'm just not quite sure yet. I <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=love&v=56">love</a> History though, absolutely <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=love&v=56">love</a> it, It's brialliant but I don't know what <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=job&v=56">job</a> that would lead to. I've also gone through the phase of wanting to be an actress but thats not very likely at all especially considering I live in NZ and in the middle of nowhere, though I could have been an extra in LOTR if I had been old enough at the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> and that would have been cool.

Being dux of my <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=school&v=56">school</a> you would think I'm going to <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=university&v=56">university</a> next year, but actually I'm not and I may not go ever, you may think I'm crazy but I can make a stisfactory living without any tertiary <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=training&v=56">training</a> and I don't really want to be rich, just comfortable, and I don't think it will help if I get a massive student <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=loan&v=56">loan</a>. Anyway that will give me more <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> to write.

594 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:49 pm
Crysi says...

Perra wrote:Hehe. I used to know for sure that I wanted to be a vet. Then I had an acting phase when Gladiator came out, and then in eighth grade I had to take a semester of Career Orientation, and now everything is mixed up. :shock:
Forensics. That's the study of weapons in crimes or something like that, am I right?

Yup. According to a Google search, it's "The science and practice of examining physical evidence and applying the physical properties of that evidence to the resolution of legal issues, particularly identifying the commission, natures, and perpetrators of crimes."

:P
Love and Light

87 Reviews

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:20 am
Perra says...

Yeah, well, I was close!!!

My dad's a lawyer, partly. You were at a murder scene?! :shock: What'd you see? Only two or three jobs I can think of having to do with History would be Historian, professor, or teacher. Maybe even a museum currator...Man, it would have been awesome to have been an extra in LotR. Especially if you had a speaking part. But I don't think extras do that. :(

Need a Critique?

35 Reviews

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:03 pm
dele24 says...

Some girls at my school (they are a couple o yars older than me) got to be extras in Lotr & they didn't get to speak but the did get to be in a scene with Aragrn and Theoden. But if I had had the chance to be an extra I would have loved to be a rider of rohan.

Ok, the murder scene was kinda like ontv, the place was crawling with police, heaps of them, they were looking for a murder weapon and for other clues. There was also heas of media people there.

87 Reviews

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:54 pm
Perra says...

I would have loved to be a rider of Rahan, too! Especially since it would mean that I'd have a horse! That I actually own a horse!
A scene with Theodin and Aragorn isn't that bad, either. Quite the opposite, infact.(heck, a scene with any main character would be great. Unless it was being a bad guy with only bad guys in the scene.)

Interesting. How long ago was it, and did you help any with the journalism(is that the word? report?) of the crime? Has the crime been solved?
I'm an inquizitive person, btw! :mrgreen:

Need a Critique?

35 Reviews

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:24 am
dele24 says...

I am so annoyed at the moment because the computer doesn't have a keyboard at th moment (don't ask) so I have to use the mouse for everything, especially typing (without the on screen key board i couldn' do anything) and it takes so long to write, its kida like learning how to txt. So bear with me if I use Abbreviations.

I didnt really help with the write up of the murder as I was 2 yung & inexperienced (still am) for the paper. The murder was just over a year ago and i don't exactly no what happened afterwards caus I left Christcurch soon after but I am planning to look in the newspaper archives and find out (when I get round to it!)

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451