z

Young Writers Society

"Excellently observed, but let us cultivate our garden.

Reviews: 0
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:45 pm
CallMeCandide says...

For anyone who got that allusion--with or without referencing my penname as an aid--I tip my ivy cap. You can call me any variant of Candide you like--save, of course, Candy (I do not answer to Candy, lol), and I'll more than likely come up with some more-or-less bizarre nickname for you, as that's a habit of mine. I'm a poet and a prosodist, a writer and an editor, and I'm in search of a writer's site that will help me expand my abilities and potential.

Let's see, what pertinent information can I share?

Well, I'm a sophomore in college and I live in New York City, I am myself (and whether that means I'm different from everyone else or the same as them, I couldn't care less, though my vain side likes to think I'm unique), my "u" key is being a bitch, I probably swear too much, I have a cat named Doberman (or Manny, for short), and a pup named Mozart (or Mo). I'm omnisexual, a Rufus Wainwright junkie, a political and social activist, and a bit of a loner. I also have a sharp tongue, which I will attempt to curb here, I suppose.

In any event--this is me. Questions? Comments? Cocaine?
Last edited by CallMeCandide on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candide, amazed, terrified, confounded, astonished, all bloody, and trembling from head to foot, said to himself, "If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:51 pm
Emerson says...

Bonjour Candide,

Welcome to YWS ^_^ I'm adoring the black and white of your avatar. It's nice to see others in love with those sort of things.

If you have any questions about the site or get lost on your way around, feel free to contact me.

What kind of fiction do you write?

Best of luck with the U key.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 pm
Ofour says...

87? How interesting, an octogenarian on a teenage website.

A fan of Candide? Why, seeing that the world is not as good as El Dorado, where you live, but isn't that bad, I will greet you:

Greetings.

As to being yourself: you are, at once, both what everyone else is and who you are. The latter, however, does make you unique, congratulations!

A social and political activist? You'll fit right into the Debate usergroup.

Have fun here.

Ofour
ln(-a)=i(pi) + lna

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:36 pm
Rydia says...

Hello there Candide. I suppose I shall have to resist from the urge to call you Candy but I must ask what you have against the nickname? I think it's adorable.

Anyway, welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. I do have a few questions too. What genre do you enjoy reading? Do you have a favourite author?

That will do for now and my help is also available if you're feeling lost or if you want any of your work critiquing,

Heather xx (Feel free to call me Heath, Kitty, Kit, Wev, Weather or Candy :wink: )
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:24 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hi and welcome to the YWS! I'm Sumi - yes, I HAVE been nicknamed Inky, Inkster, Baroninka, so you don't have much to do with me, nickname wise :P -, feel free to PM me anytime you need anything ^^

Is that Marilyn Monroe in your avatar? (*isn't sure, has seen a grand total of TWO MM-esque people, courtesy of Clau's avatars*)

^^ Hope you like it here! Gambatte!
~Sumi
ohmeohmy

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:01 am
whence says...

Well you sound agreeable enough. :D

I'm Ed, and you may call me such; though you're equally free to coin a new moniker if you so wish. I'll have my chosen nickname for you eventually... just know it'll have very little to do with your nickname--if it's related at all.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:10 am
Crysi says...

Hey Candide! Actually, I played Overture to Candide once in band -- that was the first time I ever picked up piccolo. Just a bit of trivia for ya. :)

Welcome! I'd just like to point out that while swearing is fine in literature, please try to censor yourself in the community forums -- we just want to make it friendly for all audiences.

Other than that, have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any of the other mods or admins (although Nate, our site admin, is currently away for the summer, but Meshugenah and Firestarter are both available).

Enjoy!
Love and Light

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:14 am
Meshugenah says...

Oh, I loved playing that piece!

Hmm. i want to call you Cad.

Anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! If you have any questions, feel free to ask (and I be guilty of being one of those admin types Crysi mentioned :P).

And for the record, Rufus Wainwright is awesome. But I will admit to being one of those fans who keeps discovering what he's written, especially after a friend of mine transcribed and arranged a medley of his work for her senior project this year... I still can't believe how amazing that was. Anyway! I'm done, honest ;)
Last edited by Meshugenah on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:51 am
Trident says...

Ah, Candide. Yes, Voltaire really was on drugs. ^_^

When I read the title, I thought immediately of the lovely piece of satire. I've even thought about ending a piece of my work with everyone working in a garden as a tribute, but I don't think I could pull it off. And I seem to recall something about the consumption of a woman's rear. Weird stuff.

Welcome to YWS. Tis the best place to better your writing. Have a good look around and feel free to post some work. A piece of advice: you're more likely to get crits if you give lots to other people, so don't be shy.

Trident
Last edited by Trident on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perception is everything.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:58 am
Alainna says...

I'm afraid I referenced to your username to get that one but at least I got it....LOL.

Well, welcome to YWS. If you need anything at all feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help you out.

I'll pass on the cocaine however I have both a question and a comment.

Question: What is your favourite type of ice-cream?
Comment: I like your avvie.

See you around,
Alainna
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:31 pm
Cade says...

Did I hear "poet"? *waves* Welcome, Candide!

-Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:54 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Welcome to YWS, Candide.

I go by CL or Cal, 'round here. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. A cat named Doberman, *grins*, and a puppy, aww, they both sound adorable already.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:24 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Welcome welcome!

Call me Waffles or Braden. Or whatever you want. I'm very open to nicknames.

Show that U key who's boss.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:05 am
Firestalker says...

Hiya CallMeCandide

Welcome to YWS

87 interesting, very interesting

call me fire or stalker or firestalker or any other name including fire and/or stalker
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green